PDA

View Full Version : Is this good or bad for mx?

HondaRaceReady
07-29-2008, 05:14 PM
I weigh 100 lbs. Would this give me an advantage in an mx race or a disadvantage. I'll be lighter than everyone else but I guess I don't have as much weight to control the bike. I mean, I can still whip my bike around and I have great control on it, so its good right?

MX450
07-29-2008, 06:51 PM
its an advantage because the lighter you are the faster you can go, it could be a disadvantage because you might not be as strong.

If you can ride though I dont think it really matters.. just look at Cody Gibson.. kid weighs like 100 lbs and he pretty much dominates both pro am classes at the nats this year if he doesnt crash lol

MAD450r
07-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Im 130lbs in full gear and it can be an advantage and disadvantage. What I mean is yes when your lighter you can go faster, but being lighter you dont hookup as well. Just my .02$

gcart2
07-30-2008, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by MAD450r
Im 130lbs in full gear and it can be an advantage and disadvantage. What I mean is yes when your lighter you can go faster, but being lighter you dont hookup as well. Just my .02$

it will be a disadvantage in the holeshot. less weight = less traction.

my bro weighs 220, he races, and he pullls hole shots all the time.

represent618
07-30-2008, 07:04 AM
I raced MX for years, the heavier I got the faster I got ( not that the two were related, I was getting older and weight training as well as riding 5-6 times a week)

I am 220 and my wieght has never slowed me down, but becoming stronger made me more dominant and able to "bang elbows" for lap after lap.

I think it is all about riding style, if you are fast, yuo are fast, no matter what you weigh in at. I have been outrode and I have outrode guys of all sizes.

Good luck, do not let anyone tell you that you are too small to race, do your thing and have fun!

stoopidbot
07-30-2008, 07:48 AM
Disadvantage mostly. Like they said, in a hole shot you will get less traction at the back wheels than someone who weighs 200lbs. As most people know with the stock width of the TRX they are flip happy. Unless you make your ride wider, you will have to really get your weight on the inside to keep it from flipping you.

BlaineKaiser450
07-30-2008, 09:45 AM
there is this one kid that i race with who is tiny and he always gets the holeshot because hes lighter, and he has tons of straightaway speed, but hes pretty sketchy sometimes

Drewltr450
07-30-2008, 12:14 PM
I think its like every 7lbs is 1 hp or 17 lbs something like that haha.

Allison55ex'er
07-31-2008, 01:07 PM
i weigh 125 and it seems like i get bucked around alot more then bigger guys on like braking bumps and stuff but i can still throw my quad around pretty good it shouldnt be that much of a disadvantage

quadracer85st
08-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by represent618
I raced MX for years, the heavier I got the faster I got ( not that the two were related, I was getting older and weight training as well as riding 5-6 times a week)

I am 220 and my wieght has never slowed me down, but becoming stronger made me more dominant and able to "bang elbows" for lap after lap.

I think it is all about riding style, if you are fast, yuo are fast, no matter what you weigh in at. I have been outrode and I have outrode guys of all sizes.

Good luck, do not let anyone tell you that you are too small to race, do your thing and have fun!

well said. great advice. good luck and have fun

pro-rider46
08-14-2008, 07:14 PM
hey if you lighter guys need any weight im looking to get ride of some, with me being 230

04TRX400EX
08-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Drewltr450
I think its like every 7lbs is 1 hp or 17 lbs something like that haha.

According to magazine articles I've read, 7lbs = 1 hp.

I do not really see it as a disadvantage. I do feel that lighter weight makes your suspension setup that much more critical however. As you've probably figured out, most 450's (especially Honda) are valved and sprung very stiff because apparently the manufacturers believe everyone who rides them weighs 200lbs +. I don't get it. That in mind, put some quality time and consideration into your suspension components and you'll be flying.

I only weigh about 145 with full gear and I feel I can maneuver around the bike better.

08-14-2008, 09:54 PM
I think its more about strenght. As long as you dont let the thing rag doll you and throw you around. As I got stronger, taller, heavier it was easier to ride faster and more agressively because i could control the quad more whipping it around rather than hold on for the ride and hope you dont fly off.

"As you've probably figured out, most 450's (especially Honda) are valved and sprung very stiff because apparently the manufacturers believe everyone who rides them weighs 200lbs +"

it seems that way doesnt it, i asked C&D racing they told me stock 450r shocks were sprung and valved for a 160lb rider. Seemed really odd because they have to be made for someone heavier than that they arent that soft!

04TRX400EX
08-15-2008, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
it seems that way doesnt it, i asked C&D racing they told me stock 450r shocks were sprung and valved for a 160lb rider. Seemed really odd because they have to be made for someone heavier than that they arent that soft!

My point exactly. If they were valved for 160lbs. people like you are I (it sounds like) would not have to get them immediately revalved because they won't even sag a tenth of an inch when you sit on the quad. I always heard they're made for someone around 215 ... or at least that's what they feel like.

pro-rider46
08-15-2008, 09:11 AM
my dirtbike is set up for 160 lbs too, stock, but its now set up for 185, and im 230:( . i want to get down to 185 so my bike is set up for me...

represent618
08-15-2008, 09:39 AM
I always valved my mx bikes about 15 lb lighten than my weight and made a point to ride smooth. whip it down low and land at the top of the landings in landing position, yeah sometimes you hit hard and make mistakes that hurt, but the bike handles better and hooks up better with a little softer valve. (2 wheelers I am referring to here)