PDA

View Full Version : 100 miles from Cincinnati that I have missed

tobyp
07-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Hello all!

I wanted to see out there if I have missed somewhere out there within a 100 mile radius of Cincinnati for a 1 day trip. So far I have hit

Silver lake
WNF
Pike Forest APV
Perry Forest APV
Big Rock
Haspin
Happy Hollow Hillsboro
Black Mountain (harlan ky)
Coal Creek TN

I'm mostly a trail rider with a little itch for speed (hence new addition 400ex) I 'm looking for something close like Pike Forest to knock out in one day when I feel the need.

smr
07-29-2008, 01:34 PM
what about bucks run or mt parkway.

you may want to try this link

www.kentuckyriders.com

blaaze416
08-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Hey tobyp, which one of those was your favorite? Do you know which would be closest to dayton?

tobyp
08-09-2008, 08:15 AM
I believe that Wayne National Forest is your closest bet and best Bang for the Buck. I'ts only 100 miles from Dayton and you can spend a couple days there or an afternoon with some nice trail riding. I always stay at Beagley's campground in New Straitsville and attempt riding the whole park in one day. This past week I put 60 miles (1 day) on my quads and didn't see it all. There is also Haspin Acres in Laurel Indiana which is your closest bet.

blaaze416
08-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the info, tobyp. I've been to Haspin and want to go back. I also want to check out Wayne N.F. I'll have to check out Beagley's for the camping. Although I do have the gear to ride out, get lost and camp. To me, that sounds awesome! Definitley gonna check it out!!

I'd suggest going to Hidden Springs Ranch in Sprinfield, but right now they are going through a lumber harvest of some sort. There was a big storm that rolled through here a couple months ago and twisted the trees all up. He's (Bud, the owner) opening up some more space, which will be nice. At the rate they are cleaning it up, it won't be as good as it can be till next spring.
It's kind of small (200 acres) but I like the terrain. Mostly wooded, there are some springs that have cut out some nice ravines. Nice hillclimbs. Rocky, rooted, rough and rolling on one side of the property, and more casual on the other, with a nice flat field in the middle to blow the carbon out. Like I said, it's small, but the folks are nice and you can camp if you like. I just camped there this weekend and had a blast (if you don't count the broken tie rod, flat tire, and fried headlamp harness)! Luckily I come prepared!!

tobyp
08-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Please let me know some more information on how and where to go to get to "bud's" I have heard some scattered information about this property, but nothing has ever been "published." If I could have some sort of address or contact information that would be fantastic. I believe that I saw some information about him being around I-675 and I-70. Heck that would be an area called Medway? This is where my parents live....If i'm thinking correctly. I'll be going back to WNF in Oct. I'll keep you posted.. I have a big group going. BTW New straitsville has a great watering hole to hang out at night called Stray Cats. Good food and spirits. I'ts also stumbling distance to the campground.;)

blaaze416
08-11-2008, 06:39 AM
Yep, close to Medway. It's actually the last exit on I-675 before you get to I-70. Route 444. go right on 444 roughly 5 miles, through Enon and over I-70. After you cross 70, start to slow. The third driveway on your left is Hidden Springs Ranch. I would suggest calling before you leave, cuz they sometimes have 'air soft' tournements. Lots of dudes in camo, toting air rifles. I've ridden out there when they are playing sniper, and I think they hate us dirt diggers!! :devil: . Call Bud at 937-206-1028, or his wife Kim at 937-603-0229. $10 per day per rider, and $5 to camp? Don't quote the camping fee. That's what he charged me, and I know him pretty well. I get away for free sometimes!! But I think 5 bucks is right. Plenty of fire wood laying around. Port o johns, conessions, gas powered race car track....that's actually pretty sweet. There's rarely a day when there are too many quads or bikes. Usually a dozen or two. Get in touch with me about WNF! That' sounds like super-bad fun. I like having a walk-to watering hole, too!

blacknblue#2
08-15-2008, 01:48 AM
Looks like you have pretty much hit all the trail riding near cincy but if you ever get the urge for MX hit me up............we have a group of about 10 quad MX racers and we are 60 mile east of cincy