PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting the Chain???

08450ER
07-28-2008, 06:31 PM
Hey guys,

What is the best way to adjust the chain? I looked in the owners manual:confused: that doesn't show crap. What tool do I need and if there is anyway you could post some pics that would be awesome! How often does your chain loosen up and how frequent do you need to lube it and what is the best chain lube, also how do you spray lube on it and not get it all over your swing arm and everything elese. Thanks a lot

pro-rider46
07-28-2008, 07:46 PM
to loosen the chain, loosen the four allen head bolts on the back of the swingarm, make sure they are pretty loose, then, take the allen wrench and put it into the small slot on the carrier(left side of the swingarm) and pull back, till the chain has about a inch of play, then tighten the four bolts on the swingarm, and you are done.

also, the only way to really not get any lube on the swing arm and components, is to get a piece of cardboard and put it behind the chain, and roll the quad, and only spray where the cardboard is and roll the quad until you get the entire chain. but if you use a good quality chain lube, it wont fling off the chain as much as a oil.

08450ER
07-28-2008, 08:07 PM
How frequently does it get loose? Does it depend on the riding or jumping/ or riders weight etc...?? How often do you have to adjust it

pro-rider46
07-28-2008, 08:10 PM
it all depends, the more you ride, the sooner it needs adjusted, new chains need to be broken in, they will stretch a good bit the first 3 hours. but if the chain has any more than a inch and a half, i would adjust it, if you let it go too loose, it could snap, and bust a case.

08450ER
07-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Well Im sure it's streched alot then. I'm about to take it in for it's first service! They told me after 3 tanks bring it up there. I'm at 3 1/2 tanks. Ive checked my air filter. A little dusty not to bad. And oil level. All ok. I have cleaned it pretty much after every ride. Still looks new only 2 month's older. I've lubed the chain once but I have noticed it's really loose and it makes noise when you moving. So I quit driving it and i made an appointment for service. Also what is the best chain lube to buy?

pro-rider46
07-28-2008, 09:17 PM
well, i havent really used a large variety of lubes, i have used maxima chain wax, and i liked it. and i have also used pj1 blue label with good results. pretty much anyone of these will be ok.http://www.rockymountainatv.com/typeDetail.do

also, try to lube your chain every ride, this will result in longer chain life.

jkiserracing
07-28-2008, 09:19 PM
I use Maxima chain wax which I like pretty good. Also I think that the Honda Chain lube is good too.

08450ER
08-03-2008, 08:34 AM
What is the size of the hex on the rear swing arm that you use for adjusting the chain??

pro-rider46
08-03-2008, 10:45 AM
the allen wrench should be in the tool kit that came with the quad. I think it is a 6mm tho.

08450ER
08-03-2008, 11:29 AM
can u or has anyone used white lithium grease on chain? Will it work?

08-03-2008, 11:32 AM
The factory tool kit should have what you need to adjust the chain.

08450ER
08-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Can i use white lithium grease on my chain????

08-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by 08450ER
Can i use white lithium grease on my chain????

yes

08450ER
08-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Ok guys adjusted my chain for the first time it was pretty simple once I figured out how to do it. Now when you riding and you listen for your chain noise. It is normal to hear some chain noise or is it sopposed to be silent???

pro-rider46
08-03-2008, 09:13 PM
i have always heard a chain noise on both my trx and my crf. but if it sounds like it is binding or slapping alot, you have a problem.

jkiserracing
08-04-2008, 05:44 AM
Sit on the quad (or better have someone else sit on it) and push down some on the grab bar. If the chain looks like its tight or feels like its to tight when you do that then you need to re adjust. I simply use a tape measure. I put the end of the tape measure on the ground below the chain and then pull it straight up (as if i were measuring how high the chain is off the ground) then I wiggle the chain up and down. You should have about an inch of play. and your done. Do that technique with OUT sitting or having someone sit on the quad.