PDA

View Full Version : ??? how can I register 86 250Rif its not

superaptor
12-05-2002, 07:29 AM
I may be buying a 250R Im not for sure if it has a title or is registered , how many hoops do I have to jump through to get it registered .

spliffy
12-05-2002, 07:39 AM
Well In MN Not Any Hoops At All... Just Get A Bill Of Sale From The Person You Are Buying It From & Bring It To A Vehicle Registrar & Register It. Takes About 10 Minutes. A Bill Of Sale Just Has To Be A Piece Of Paper With Both Seller & Buyer Names On It & Signed By Each With A Purchase Price & The Vehicle Make, Model, Year & VIN#. It Can Even Be Handwritten On A Napkin For All The State Cares, They Just Want Something In Writing. :macho

CBW
12-05-2002, 07:50 AM
in colorado you dont even register it with the motor vehicle people......and colorado doesnt give titles either.........

i just get my OHV stuff and get an ID card with that that has the vin and all...........

XANDADA
12-05-2002, 08:00 AM
I will just leave it at this - good luck and I won't ever buy something that doesn't come with a title again...

On second thought here is something I wish I did - tell the seller to go get a title and deal with all that dooty as part of the negotiation to buy it. My experience in OH was the exact opposite as Spliffs.

Most common answer to my request: "I neva hawrda sucha tang fo Dat" "Yo inda wong pace fo dat" "hay no I dono way yo go fo dat"

superaptor
12-05-2002, 08:33 AM
Thats the case in Iowa we need to have them registered to ride in the parks. Even though the local state Gov. took all our funds , there is a nice little article in either ATV Rider or ATV sport I cant remember which

spliffy
12-05-2002, 08:35 AM
No Titles In MN On Quads Either , Just A Little Card & You Have To Have A License Plate On Your Quad With The Registration Numbers & A MN License Tab Showing To Ride On Public land Or Its A $100 Fine For It. That Even Includes Dirt Bikes.... They Have To Show Registration If Riding On Public Land, How Messed Up Is That... That Must Be Why It Is So Easy To Register Quads & Bikes Here With Just A Bill Of Sale.

Guy400
12-05-2002, 08:53 AM
To my knowledge quads didn't come with titles until the mid-to-late 90's. I know a friend had a '96 Wolverine that he bought brand new that didn't come with a title from the dealership. I looked into titling my '87 LT250R in Ohio earlier this year and it was a PITA. I had to have a Bill of Sale first off, then I had to take it to the sherriff's department or a local ATV dealership and have them do a VIN# inspection to make sure the VIN hasn't been removed or modified (charge you at least $50). They sign off on this inspection and then I had to take the inspection form and the BOS to the BMV where they then could title it (costing me more money). Another headache was that my insurance company wouldn't insure it unless it had a title. I decided to just sell it to 4punksdad instead:D

Ryan
12-05-2002, 08:58 AM
For cars you can Register an abandon car lets say if you found it in the woods and you decieded to fix it up. It takes time but they give you a bill a sale. I'll ask my friend were you can get it from. Its hard to get it insured becuase its an older quad. Try State Farm Insurance.

CBW
12-05-2002, 11:47 AM
all new quads come with a certificate of origin............

but they are not a title....a title is issued by the state in which you register it as a motor vehicle........

but i will say it again some states to not give titles to OHV,,,,,CO is one of those states..i know because i tried to get the title for my 88R changed over to me as the owner in colorado.....not NM. The county clerk said they dont issue titles to strictly OHV vehicles.

when you apply to get the sticker that says you can ride on all the forest lands you get a registration sticker/ID card.........thats about it.......in colorado anyway...........

which would be a PITA if you bought something from outta state and took it to your home state and tried to get it titled i guess...........:confused:

Guy400
12-05-2002, 11:54 AM
Ohio must be one of those states that titles off-road vehicles like cars. The title I've got for my Cannibal is the exact same one that I've got for my wife's car.

12-05-2002, 11:54 AM
quads came certificate of origin..way back
Iowa is similar to Pa ..
you can get a title for it now adays even if its older like an R ,,..
you first have to take a tracing to proper agency of vin # & possibly a sellers receipt to you .
they will do a search to see if it has been stolen etc ..if it checks out ...ok they will issue a title & you can register it after all this is done .

G.Z.Racing
12-05-2002, 12:49 PM
wat i did when i had my R registered in PA, i had to trace the vin# off the frame, and a paper with the make of the quad, my name, the sellers name, our signatures, and the purchase price....we put down a cheaper price cuz it would be cheaper for registration or sometin...

Josh

JTRtrx250r
12-05-2002, 02:10 PM
gotta have a title for everything in Wa state,ORV tag and tabs every yr or they whip on us and we get FAT tickets,......so feel lucky not to have to jump thru 3-4 hoops every season,also it $25 bucks a day if its past the 2week transfer date,then stops at $100,pretty lame if ya ask me:(

joeroadking
12-05-2002, 04:30 PM
MA, NH,RI, ME, all do not require titles or certs of orgin all you need is a bill of sale and you are good to go:D

JTRtrx250r
12-05-2002, 05:24 PM
You guys are lucky!!lol

If you have to file for a lost title,they make you wait 3 yrs,:rolleyes: and give you a temparary registration,chances are,if you dont find the previous ower or last registered owner w/in a yr,ya probably aint gonna,:rolleyes: ,its crazy

yellowex01
12-05-2002, 05:32 PM

Most common answer to my request: "I neva hawrda sucha tang fo Dat" "Yo inda wong pace fo dat" "hay no I dono way yo go fo dat" [/B][/QUOTE]

You didnt by chance go to the one in Golden Gate did you? :)

XANDADA
12-06-2002, 06:13 AM
That was one of the three different places I stopped at yes!! The whole thing just turned into one epic saga - classic DMV stuff.