PDA

View Full Version : Just bought my son- 08 Outlaw 90 LE

2old2race
07-28-2008, 12:58 PM
I think I am as excited as my son. lol
He has been riding an Eton Viper 70 for a year now and is ready for something bigger. He really got his start on a Powerwheels quad.
Plus, it will be nice to be able to walk into a dealership that does not amount to a used car garage 20 miles away with a kid who works on Etons once in a while after school. :(

Anyway, I am pretty excited for this quad. Out of the biggies, this seemed like the best package. I passed on the Yamaha's 2.5" of shock travel, the Suzuki's dated look, and the general ugliness of the Kawi. My only other consideration was a Honda.
But, truth be told, the skull stickers, polished wheels, and nerf bars on the Outlaw did it for my son. Kids! ??? lol
Plus, it has reverse! My 400ex doesn't even have reverse!!!!!

Anyway, how is this going to compare to his Eton's 70 c.c. 2 stroke? The Eton really did get a head of steam going through open fields. But really seemed to lack power when going uphill through our woods. Plus, it was extremely finiky in cold weather.

Also, it appears opening the exhaust is the first thing I should do. Is this as simple as removing a core/baffle, drilling a hole in the side of the muffler...?????

Thanks for any and all suggestions! We pick it up Wednesday. My poor wife is going to be sick to death of hearing us talk about this new quad until that day arrives. !!!

snomunke
08-02-2008, 11:09 AM
weve had ours just over a year now and its been a good machine so far. Out of the box its very under powered and the suspension isnt the best but it is as solid as a rock. With all that being said if I were to do it all over again Id have bought somthing else. We trail ride here in Michigan and the front single a-arms cause too much bump steer. The brakes suck. The jetting is poor/ conservative. For someting built in Tiwan its priced above a Japanese quads. I could have gotten a Jetmoto for just over a grand. As A matter of fact Im in the market for a second youth quad and Im leaning toward a Chineese racing 4-stroke like an apex or Thyphoon. We dont race but I need a machine that can handle abuse. The LE you got looks awesome with the nerfs and MX wheels and tires but making it go is going to take some work. Performance parts for it arent cheap so if your son is just big enough for the power now youve got some time to tune it.
Take a hole saw the size around the inside of the outter ring of the muffler end cap and remove that straw looking thing. The spark arresting screen wont be effected. No matter what jetting changes you make you are going to need to upsize the Pilot Jet. If you dont it wont start woth a crap the idle quality will suck and it will backfire everytime he lets off the gas. Play with this then look into the big buck ex-systems and rev limiters. Brian

jjd223
08-03-2008, 05:29 AM
What size pilot jet did you upsize to?

2old2race
08-03-2008, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by jjd223
What size pilot jet did you upsize to?
85. It runs much better now with the jet change and a more open exhaust.

2old2race
08-03-2008, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by snomunke
weve had ours just over a year now and its been a good machine so far. Out of the box its very under powered and the suspension isnt the best but it is as solid as a rock. With all that being said if I were to do it all over again Id have bought somthing else. We trail ride here in Michigan and the front single a-arms cause too much bump steer. The brakes suck. The jetting is poor/ conservative. For someting built in Tiwan its priced above a Japanese quads. I could have gotten a Jetmoto for just over a grand. As A matter of fact Im in the market for a second youth quad and Im leaning toward a Chineese racing 4-stroke like an apex or Thyphoon. We dont race but I need a machine that can handle abuse. The LE you got looks awesome with the nerfs and MX wheels and tires but making it go is going to take some work. Performance parts for it arent cheap so if your son is just big enough for the power now youve got some time to tune it.
Take a hole saw the size around the inside of the outter ring of the muffler end cap and remove that straw looking thing. The spark arresting screen wont be effected. No matter what jetting changes you make you are going to need to upsize the Pilot Jet. If you dont it wont start woth a crap the idle quality will suck and it will backfire everytime he lets off the gas. Play with this then look into the big buck ex-systems and rev limiters. Brian
What quality 90 for under $3K has dual a-arms? Change the main jet to an 85 and it runs much better. Arn't Polaris quads built in the US? The motor is from overseas, but the quad is built in the US.
You are telling me you would rather buy your son one of those junk quads because they will hold up better, are faster, and parts are cheaper and more easily obtainable? :eek2: Do you happen to live in China? Man, your resoning makes no sense to me whatsoever.
Everything you are saying is 100% contradictory to what i have found.
My sons Outlaw completely smoked our old ETON 70 2-stroke. Plus it handles so much better my son is riding double the speed through our woods.

I am completely confused by what you are saying and would not change a single thing about his Outlaw. Your son isn't like 12 and 125# is he? Then i could see needing a bigger quad, maybe a 250.
Wow! I'm lost with you??????? :huh

Nichols Atvs
08-03-2008, 08:06 AM
Not any made here they are all imported in to the states . if it was made here you would be paying and extra 2000. Your new one should handle better its new and has dual a arms. if the new one is beating the eton than you didnt have it set up right . Im not knocking you in any way just cant find anyone that can make these faster than the 2 smokes, Our 70 is really fast and we race aginst a feild of 90s. Give it a few years then they will have the 4 bangers up to par, till then you wont find many racing (but a lot trail riding). Good luck with your new quad, your son will love any thing with wheels, i know mine does.

2old2race
08-03-2008, 12:06 PM
You are talking quads that are set up to race evidently.

I am talking stock Eton verses stock (add pipe/jet) Outlaw.

I'm not too interested in a race set up because unless my son is dead set on it, i really have no desire to see him on a track. I raced for many years and it is an extremely dangerous sport...as i am sure all in here know.

For now, its all about trail riding and hill climbing. :cool:

And you do know the new 4 stroke Banshee is supposed to be the fastest Banshee ever. :eek2:

snomunke
08-04-2008, 07:10 PM
2old, I hope you didnt loose any sleep over my post (holly sh*t). If I confused you its because because Im as equally disapointed in the Outlaw as I am impressed. And by the way its true, they are all built over seas. The better youth quads are built by Taiwanese manuf. And the better Chinese quads are built with Taiwanese parts ...........O.K.
I was hoping for the money the Outlaw would be alot better than a budget back yard quad that could go either racing or trail. Its MY fault for not doing my home work better before I bought one. But making into a more capable deep woods rider that can be easily upgraded as my kids grow isnt cost effective. Here in Michigan to ride on state and fed land we have to follow that damn age to cc crap. Dont get me wrong Im not trying to put my kids on Banshees but there is no way you son is going to get his almighty outlaw to pull him up Test Hill at Silver Lake when he is 15.
The good on the Outlaw; it is rock friggen solid. Ours Has been ridden for hours and hours and hours. Nothing broken, leaks, cracked, or even loose. If all it was used for was two tracks and grassy fields, Id predict it will be around for a long time. However, next summer ours is for sale.

2old2race
08-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Nope, no sleep lost.
Sorry to hear your bad luck. And yeah, a 15 year old on any 90 c.c. is a joke.
I cannot imagine my son still being on a 90 c.c. when he turns the 'legal' age of 12. lol

Best of luck, I hope you can find what you are looking for.

etondaddy
08-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by 2old2race

My sons Outlaw completely smoked our old ETON 70 2-stroke.

:huh Wait a minute....... 70cc.....90cc.....whatever....

I've seen both the Outlaw and the Can-Am stock at the track..... I felt so sorry for those poor kids......

Ok to make them get out of there own way you need to get the pipe, CDI, and clutch stuff from Justin at max......

Let me do the same thing to a stock 2-stroke E-ton 90.......:devil:

Did you get those springs in yet....:D

Good luck with your new quad..... it's all about the kids.... as long as he like's it your good.

Hey we're running a 4-stroke..... Kyle loves it.... but I got over frickin 3g's in the motor....:devil:

Mike Kozura
www.kylekozura.com

2old2race
08-05-2008, 04:17 PM
I don't get it :confused:
My buddy 195# on the eton and me 200# on the Outlaw and yes I pulled him pretty hard. He would also slow down quite considerably in the corners while I was blasting through them.
Outlaw has a 30 mph max what is the etons? Maybe that made a difference.

Going to work on the springs tonight.

Hey because my ex is a 400 I am quite sure I could smoke a 250R anyday...right? :blah: ;)

mikebell72
08-15-2008, 05:43 PM
hey guys i need jason or somebody phone number that can get my little guy some more power out of the outlaw 90 we are ready for some more power. also what are the mods to be done pipe, air filter and jet kit, cdi, clutch springs? anything else ?

thanks mike

etondaddy
08-16-2008, 03:51 AM
Justin Hall
http://www.maximumrpm.com/

Mike Kozura