PDA

View Full Version : Porting Stand???

jd100879
07-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Trying to determine how much of a need a porting stand would be for any engine builders? And also how much interest there would be in having a quality built one. I have searched for porting stands and so far to no avail.

We have a design for a porting stand that you can spin 360 deg and swivel 180 deg in any direction and then lock it down. It was originally designed and built for the jet ski industry but would be perfect for any small engine.

Just simply looking for input and interest. If there is enough interest then we will work on fine tuning the design if there is any room to improve on it.

Thanks,

machwon
07-28-2008, 02:47 PM
I know cc speciality used to sell one for a $100. I've never tried one so I'm not sure if I'd prefer it or not. I think the real advantage would be on the heavier cylinders, I have a tough time holding them. Twin cylinder monoblocks, old air cooled cylinders, single cylinder 500's, etc., weigh alot and are hard to hold for any length of time. Otherwise, I'm guessing the clamping mechanism may get in the way when porting from the top of the cylinder, then switching to the bottom, and taking more time during the porting process. Just my thoughts. Do you have any pictures? What do they typically sell for?

jd100879
07-28-2008, 03:07 PM
That's funny that you mentioned CC Specialty. We or I should say Triple D Machine is the one that built those for him. The owner of CC Specialty has since passed and we haven't done any work for them since. Well, as I'm typing this I typed CC Specialty into Google and I see the tool on their front page. I found out that the family continued on with the business.

Well, strike that idea!!! :D

Unless there is a need for one that can hold the larger and heavier cylinders like you say machwon.

Always looking to make someone's life easier and more productive.

Thanks,