PDA

View Full Version : Blown shock... Custom Axis?

bushwesl
07-28-2008, 05:51 AM
I just finished up my LSR 250R build this weekend and decided I'd take it to the track for it's debut ride. I didn't even make it around the track once before blowing my rear shock:mad: I bought the front and rear shocks used and instead of having them rebuilt/valved for me prior to installing/riding, I figured I'd give them a try and see what they were like. Obviously that mentality bit me in the ***.

Anyway... so I was wondering what everyone's experiences were like when dealing with Custom Axis for rebuilds/re-valves? How is their turn around time? I plan on sending my shocks (front and rear) out some time today. Hopefully it doesn't take too long, because aside from this setback the R is ready to roll.

Or does anyone recommend someone else for this? I'm assuming that I'm going to have to get them rebuilt/re-valved and possible re-sprung.

Aceman
07-28-2008, 07:30 AM
I haven't sent my Axis shocks out yet, they're due, but I'll probably send mine to C&D. I haven't heard anything bad about Custom Axis' personally but I know Colby has a reputation for quality shock service and good customer relations.

rt20ps
07-28-2008, 07:43 AM
I would send them to GT Thunder. I was never satisfied with Custom Axis shocks out of the box but Laz can make them work.

mxracer97
07-28-2008, 03:02 PM
I sent my rear shock in to Custom Axis for a re-work (shock was set up for an '86 250R, and I had them set it up for an '88). They did a great job and I believe it took 2-3 weeks to get it back. This was about 4 years ago.

dynofox
07-28-2008, 04:27 PM
I send all my shock work to Monster Performance, the owner Ian is a great guy and is very knowledgeable. He just revalved and resprung my 450r front shocks for my 250r. His website is www.monsterperf.com

PS check out his custom rides section for a write up on my sled. :D

mxduner
07-29-2008, 01:53 PM
I had mine done at c & d (colby) make sure you know your a-arm width, etc. they took about 3 weeks to do my axis, but it only took that long cause we had to order parts. i had to revalve and respring mine due to a completly different setup.Overall i was very satisfied

superevil
07-29-2008, 03:51 PM
This is wierd i just talked to them today about rebuilding my rear custom axis shock they seemed very nice and helpful.
A complete servicing including revalving the shock to my weight is only 85 bucks.

bushwesl
07-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Well, I ended up sending them to Custom Axis. Like superevil said, it's $85 for a rebuild/re-valve. They said that it's basically first come first serve, but if I needed them by a certain time they would try and get them done. I told them that I would need them not this weekend but the following and they seemed to think that wouldn't be a problem.

dynofox
07-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by bushwesl
Well, I ended up sending them to Custom Axis. Like superevil said, it's $85 for a rebuild/re-valve. They said that it's basically first come first serve, but if I needed them by a certain time they would try and get them done. I told them that I would need them not this weekend but the following and they seemed to think that wouldn't be a problem.

Monster Performance is only around $60 for a rebuild / revalve. You guys should check them out sometime, hes done a great job with my 450r front shock revalve / respring along with all the custom work I've had done with my sled shocks.

86 Quad R
07-30-2008, 08:59 AM
thanks for the link dyno. i'm going to give them a go on this 87TRX and '84 ATC that i'm building. :cool: