PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going through lots of plugs?

forgiven
07-27-2008, 05:54 PM
It seems like I am going through quite a bit of plugs. Is anyone else suffering from this and if so how often.

bulldogfallon
07-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Learn how to tune a carb :blah:

Just kidding....

We go through more plugs on ours 90s than we would care too

forgiven
07-28-2008, 02:38 PM
I am excellent at tuning carbs! I call this guy in FL and he tells me everything. His name is Gary...have you heard of him??

dblacks
07-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Nichols ATV went thru a couple pretty quick on his son's 70. Changed the CDI and it ran well but that was just yesterday. I am sure he will have more scoop on his issues.

jread14
07-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by forgiven
I am excellent at tuning carbs! I call this guy in FL and he tells me everything. His name is Gary...have you heard of him??

That explains everything then!!!! ;)

born2ride14
07-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Use marine 2 stroke spark plugs, they are designed not to foul, and they can be cleaned with a rag easily

forgiven
07-28-2008, 05:18 PM
Cool part is that they are not fouled. Nice light brown...that is why this is concerning to me.

wvspeedfreak
07-28-2008, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by forgiven
Cool part is that they are not fouled. Nice light brown...that is why this is concerning to me.

Same thing happened to us on the Kasea we used to run.Quad starts breaking up in the midrange,plug looks fine,put in a new plug and it is good to go.I never figured out why.I just kept lots of plugs on hand :p

JIM GRACE
07-28-2008, 11:41 PM
we buy em buy the box, his 50 we change every race and the 70 about every 3 races..

brandon's dad #55

bulldogfallon
07-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Bypass your wire harness and I bet it goes away

Nichols Atvs
07-29-2008, 04:28 PM
YA thats my next trick my plugs are perfect color but its one per moto. going to dump the whole harnes an see if that cures the problem. I think i have moisture in the wires in the harness and that shorts things out. Ill let everyone know . On vacation this week so no work can be done till i get back in a week. Hey dana get that 90 tuned up that yellow apex needs to go down .I might Let landon ride the 90 for the next 8-9 race if i can dial it in on time.

brainwashed
07-29-2008, 09:22 PM
I thought I was the only one. The plugs come out chocolate brown but the bike won't run with out a new plug in it.

:confused:

I'd say that a say of riding we go through 3 plugs. :eek2:

dericsdad
07-29-2008, 11:54 PM
We go through lots of plugs too. Plugs look great, nice goldon brown. Engine will start to cut out on top end... put in a new plug, and it runs great. I always put in a new plug for each race day, and it runs fine all day.

I was thinking it was caused by lead building up in the spark plug from the leaded race gas we use...

A friend of mine that ran VP U2 unleaded race gas in his mini hardly ever had to replace his plug.

What is everyone running for gas? We run straight Turbo Blue 110 octane w/50:1 Dominator. Used to blend it with pump gas, but it doesn't spoil as fast straight.

Dan.

MXfun
07-30-2008, 04:36 AM
On our 2007 DRR 50 AC, we are on our second plug since last September! Only changed that one because I felt like it was due for one. Current plug has 5 races on it. We are running all stock except for jetting/uni. Using 93 Octane gas, just switched from Polaris 2-stroke to Maxima injector oil.

dblacks
07-30-2008, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by Nichols Atvs
Hey dana get that 90 tuned up that yellow apex needs to go down .I might Let landon ride the 90 for the next 8-9 race if i can dial it in on time.

I like watcing him have to work his butt off to get by Drew on the 70, we wont be at the next race due to NEATV but will probably be at the one after that, you gonna have to do a bunch of work to Landan's90 to get it to run with the yellow one as it has a ton of work done to it

wvspeedfreak
07-30-2008, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by dericsdad

What is everyone running for gas? We run straight Turbo Blue 110 octane w/50:1 Dominator. Used to blend it with pump gas, but it doesn't spoil as fast straight.

Dan.

We are running straight Turbo Blue and Amsoil as well.

neveready
07-30-2008, 07:43 AM
What plugs are you guys using!!! We run the Iridium plugs, jet correctly and NEVER foul them. We have had the same plugs in our 70 and 90 since November last year.

dblacks
07-30-2008, 08:03 AM
its is up for debate but most of these mini quad engines arent modified enough that st8 race fuel makes a big difference, but like I said that varies by opinion.

We mix 4 gallons at a time 50/50 with c12/93 octane

wvspeedfreak
07-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by dblacks
its is up for debate but most of these mini quad engines arent modified enough that st8 race fuel makes a big difference, but like I said that varies by opinion.

We mix 4 gallons at a time 50/50 with c12/93 octane

I agree with that.The only reason we run straight race fuel is it seems to store a little longer than when mixed with pump gas.I have run it mixed 50/50 and saw no difference at all performance wise.

Neverready-Iridium plugs may well solve the problem,I haven't used them in our minis so I can't say.Actually our Kasea was the only mini we had this happen on.What these folks are talking about isn't the text book fouling where the plug is black or wet looking.They look perfectly fine they just misfire at higher rpm's.

dericsdad
07-30-2008, 08:58 PM
Yep, I did try the iridium over the winter indoors, and we raced 4 race weekends plus a couple practice days on it before it started to miss. i decided to stay with the standarad b8hs plug with our new aluminum air cooler cylinder. I too used to blend, but as i said, the fuel stores longer straight. Now I drain the float bowl between races, but we practice on what little is left in the tank, and add fresh from the can for race day.

I noticed the gas blended 2 gallons race gas to one gallon 87 octane smells rotton after onlt 2 weeks in the garage!!!

I've heard premium pump gas has some additives, especially up here, like ethanal, and extra detergents you really don't want in a 2-stroke.

I thought about running u-2 vp race fuel, but at $84.00 for 5 gallons I didn't think long.

Dan.

humboldt hills
07-31-2008, 05:54 AM
we run 93 octane
32:1 bel ray MC-1
all useless wiring removed
Change plug every 3 races just to be safe, but no issues
My 2 kids burn 5 gallons of gas a week, so I don't have to worry about it going bad.

brainwashed
07-31-2008, 11:34 AM
Just as a sanity check, what model plugs are you all using.

We have been using the BH7HS non-iridiums and they foul easily. We use our DRX 90 for duneing and we go through 3 plugs a day. I'd like to try to figure out why.

When we pull the plug out it's not black and wet... it's dry and chocolate colored. It looks perfect other than the bike is starting with difficulty (or won't start at all) or is missing at high RPM's.

brainwashed
07-31-2008, 11:41 AM
What plug is everyone using? I'm seeing different models beiing stated. Perhaps one is fouling more easily than the other. I'll assume everyone is using an NGK brand plug.

We have tried:

BH6
BH7

wvspeedfreak
07-31-2008, 12:29 PM
NGK B8HS

jread14
07-31-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
NGK B8HS

MXfun
07-31-2008, 12:58 PM
Why does the stock plug come as a resistor plug?

forgiven
07-31-2008, 06:56 PM
I run both the B8HSA's and the B8HS's and both do a good job.

brainwashed
07-31-2008, 09:46 PM
My dealer is selling the BH7 as the plug for this bike.

What's the difference between the BH6, BH7,and BH8?

FISH ON!
07-31-2008, 10:21 PM
Here's some good NGK links......... all you wanted to know about spark plugs but were afraid to ask..............

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/index.asp?mode=nml

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/docs/tech/partnumberkey.pdf

Todd

brainwashed
08-01-2008, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the links!

So if I run a hotter plug than the BH7 will I have a lesser chance of fouling?

The bike came with a BH6. It was stored for a while and we went to the dunes and it was missing on the top end. We went to get new plugs, but all the shop had were BH7's.

Since then I've fouled quite a few BH7's.

since I'm fouling the 7's... it stands to reason to go to a hotter plug like the BH6 ... right?

humboldt hills
08-01-2008, 05:16 AM
we all use bpr7hs in the 90s and bpr8hs in the 50s

dericsdad
08-01-2008, 06:44 AM
The "BP" plugs are what come stock in everything. The P stands for protruded tip. You run a bigger risk of detonation on a highly modified engine with those plugs, but on a stock engine they are fine. Dan.

bulldogfallon
08-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by brainwashed
Thanks for the links!

So if I run a hotter plug than the BH7 will I have a lesser chance of fouling?

The bike came with a BH6. It was stored for a while and we went to the dunes and it was missing on the top end. We went to get new plugs, but all the shop had were BH7's.

Since then I've fouled quite a few BH7's.

since I'm fouling the 7's... it stands to reason to go to a hotter plug like the BH6 ... right?

The air cooled units use a "7" heat index and the liquid units use "8" heat index.

Tune the carb better....don't reduce the ability to remove the heat in the cylinder with the "6" heat range plug

brainwashed
11-11-2008, 08:44 PM
This definately is not the carb. The last plug lasted 15 minutes and came out looking brand new with a light dusting of carbon that looked like Nestle Quik chocolate milk poweder was sprinkled on it. There's not a trace of black on it like other fouled plugs I've seen come out of other bikes with these symptoms.

These plugs aren't fouled, they just stop working. Any ideas?

Has anyone found a solution to this?

Nichols Atvs
11-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Heres what i did i removed the hole wiring harnes ran a ground from the engine to the frame made sure the plug gaps are correct and that fixed my problem with fouling plugs .also if you have to much fuel with not enough air the plug will foul . hotter plug not always a good thing. I have an artical on sparkplugs ill try to find it wednesday make sure all your wires are connected and no crimped between parts or rubbing together

Nichols Atvs
11-14-2008, 01:23 PM
TAke alook at this artical.

http://www.strappe.com/plugs.html

raptorobbie
11-14-2008, 02:32 PM
what gap are you guys running w/ the B8HSA's?

Nichols Atvs
11-14-2008, 04:00 PM
i run .015-.020 on a BR8EIX or The same for BR9EIX