PDA

View Full Version : Finally back to work on the 300 XC

Pappy
07-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Well, we started this project the tueday after the Big Buck GNCC after Cody sent the Raptor 250 to the scrap heap. Ofcourse that friday he sent himself to the hospital and for the past 14 weeks or so we have basically been tending to his broken leg and rehab.

Well, thankfully he is back up and working to get back in shape after such a long down time and we can now get back to working on our 300EX XC quad.

Pappy
07-27-2008, 01:29 PM
Originally we had planned to run a standard set of +2 400ex arms and revalved 450r shocks, like we had done on earlier 300ex's. However, with the added time to build this machine, we chose to go another route.

One of the biggest issues we have found on doing the 400ex conversion was getting everything adjusted and we seemed to always want more adjusting ability. So we turned to Houser Racing and ordered a set of their 400ex Sli-Cast arms. These arms feature castor and camber adjustment, and the ability to set the angle of the spindle allowing us to dial in differing handling characteristics.

Pappy
07-27-2008, 01:36 PM
With our intent fully planted in the most adjustability we could obtain, a call to Colby at C&D Racing was made and options discussed as to which shocks to run. Fox Evols were determined to probably offer us the most tunability, and with not knowing exactly how these components would all work together, would allow us to tune every aspect of the shocks to work with the arms and JB Racing shock relocating bracket.

Now Colby did everything he could on his part but Fox dropped the ball and we were forced to grab a set from a fellow racer. I fully believe in Fox's shock concept, but I have to admit their willingness to get our shocks completed and work with us on setting them up was lacking. I geuss someone should point out to them that this type of conversion is incredibly popular in youth racing. The same could hold tru for Houser as they wanted no real part of the project based on the control arms being used on a non target model.

Hey big wigs, some of us understand how things work and are just looking for some assistance and we dont deserve a cold shoulder:blah: Now, why would we use Fox and Houser when they were unwilling to help? Well because I believe in their products, and wanted the best available products to help us reach our goal.

Pappy
07-27-2008, 01:43 PM
So, finally recieving the needed parts, we began assembly. I am happy to report that the 19 1/4 Fox LT shocks bolted in to the JB bracket and Houser arms like a glove and in about an hour we were on the ground and ready to start tweaking the settings.

A Precision Damper was ordered and installed as well, and a Rath bumper would replace the factory unit.

Ofcourse we had to do all the usual tweaks to dial the front end in, but its about as close as I can get it now until my rider gets back to full race speed and requires further adjustmenst to be made.

How does it work?

Well pretty dang good! We have set everything now for our rider and dialed in the settings and he is extremely happy. There have been no issues that arent typical of doing a front end swap and are pretty confident everything will pass our tests of racing again in the GNCC series come september!

Pappy
07-27-2008, 01:47 PM
All thats left now is to add skid plates and Cody is wanting a set of ITP GNCC's as he has really come to like those tires.

Later this fall we will pull her down and add some gusset work and color to the chassis as we prepare for the 2009 season.

honda300EXtreme
07-27-2008, 06:54 PM
looks good pappy, glad to see cody is finally back in the saddle and healed up
its still hard to believe your luck with that raptor, but at least he's back on something thats reliable and will get him where he wants to go.

what color ya planning on for the frame?

Pappy
07-27-2008, 08:45 PM
No clue on the color, I never really know until I hang it up to shoot it:p

We still have another rappy, i really like them. my 9 year old rides it like crazy and so far no problems

honda300EXtreme
07-27-2008, 09:08 PM
just out of curiosity which of the two quads does cody perfer? the rappy or the 300

what do you guys have done motor wise to that 300, i thought you said you were keeping it near stock, but i was wondering what the specifics of that motor is

tell cody i wish him luck on his upcomming season,

Pappy
07-27-2008, 09:15 PM
He really liked teh rappy. It handled really well with the suspension upgrades we did, power was really good etc

The biggest ***** he had was that it was to short and the front end would come up on steep hillclimbs. We were discussing a longer swing arm when he sent that one to the scrap heap.

The engine in this 300 is stock for now. I have to call Hetricks and see if our cam and piston came in however. Yoshi is sending us a slip on to try out as well.

he said thanks!

cjpoole1
07-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Now Colby did everything he could on his part but Fox dropped the ball and we were forced to grab a set from a fellow racer. I fully believe in Fox's shock concept, but I have to admit their willingness to get our shocks completed and work with us on setting them up was lacking.
I have been planning to do almost the exact same set-up on my sons 300 and don't really understand what your explaining here. Does Fox not have a shock to fit this application? If not, are the shocks you have on there custom built for someone else or are they not the length they should be.

Pappy
07-27-2008, 09:35 PM
No, Fox does not make a specific shock for the conversion.....

Our point was that with the JB bracket, 400ex arms, spindles etc, we are almost identical in measurements (stroke etc) to a 400ex. After months of getting the run around, I found a new set for a 450R. They where the right length, and set up for his weight,and after discussing it with a few builders, we felt they would work and they do...very very well.

Im new to the fox set up, but worked alot with it over the past few days and im pretty impressed. Where we would have been getting different springs to make this set up work as well as it does now, we simply dialed in the air pressures and off he went!

cjpoole1
07-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Is anything done to the rear suspension yet?

Pappy
07-27-2008, 09:42 PM
The rear is a Stadium non rezzy rear. I havent commented on it because I'm not 100% sold on it yet:p

ZSNOW
08-04-2008, 09:44 AM
i see stock pipe:chinese: lol

Im glad cody is up and racing again. hopefully that 300 can put him back where he wants to be. goodluck guys.

Zsnow

zero6200a
10-22-2008, 01:03 AM
so u went with 400ex a-arms ware the LT or normel tralvle and the shocks ware 450r LT or normel travle

ZSNOW
10-22-2008, 04:17 AM
400ex long travel houser front end with fox float long travels for a 450r in the front

zero6200a
10-22-2008, 08:31 AM
what thay got with +1 +2 +3 a-arms and how wide did it sit with whatever thay went with

codyarthur13
01-31-2010, 04:44 PM
I am kinda new to this site and looking for some help..
I picked up some stock 400ex a-arms, spindles,tierods..ETC
now i just need the shocks, i have the relocator but im not sure on shocks yet would the 18inch long travel 400ex shocks work with this setup? or should i be looking more into 250r shocks or 450r shocks?

honda300EXtreme
01-31-2010, 05:02 PM
you said you will be using standard travel 400ex a-arms with a relocator bracket. so the maximum length shock you can use would be 16.25'' (eye to eye) however some have used yfz 450 shocks which are 15.75'' if i remember correctly so you do have some options

codyarthur13
01-31-2010, 05:36 PM
well the a-arms are a little over 13 and 1/2inch from eye to eye. so would my best bet be to just buy stock 400ex shocsk until i can get a good set of aftermarkets?

Arctic Cat Dad
02-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Pappy, You will love this set up. We bought kyle's ride with the exact set up and it is wicked smooth. Except we have a Rath Racing front shock bracket. Were running a JB Racing +2 swinger with a Fox Podioum X with a rezzie. It's like riding on air, oh ya he is on air:D Good luck. Glad were off the mini's and finally on a real machine!