PDA

View Full Version : How To Remove your Bearing Carrier

Pappy
07-27-2008, 09:52 AM
Removing your bearing carrier is something everyone should know or be able to do, as these bearings require service atleast once a season.

You will need a few simple tools to get the job done:

1 Large pipe wrench or an adjustable wrench that will open to 2 1/4 inches.
1 pair of Snap-Ring Pliers
I flat blade screw driver
24 mm 1/2 drive socket and ratchet for removing the wheel hubs(Size will depend on your model)
Pliers
2 new cotter pins
Allen head of varying sizes depeninding on the brand of atv

Before lifting the the atv off the ground, you will want to loosen the axle lock nut and wheel hub nuts as they require some substantial force. Leaving the machine on the ground so that you can use the rear brake to hold things still is a huge help.

Place the large pipe wrench/adjustable wrench on the inner axle lock nut and apply pressure downward. These large nuts are reversed threaded and usually confuse people who have never done this work. A friend to help hold the rear brake sure helps and make sure you have the machine in gear to also help hold the axle in place via the chain.

Once you have the axle lock nut and jam nut loosened slightly, remove the two cotter pins and axle nuts before proceeding.

Pappy
07-27-2008, 09:55 AM
With the axle jam nut and lock nut loosened, you will see the axle clip retainer as the two nuts are threaded towards the swing arm.

Once everything is loosened, you can now loosen the 2 or 4 bolts that hold the bearing carrier firmly in the swing arm. Rotate the carrier to loosen the chain at this time.

Pappy
07-27-2008, 09:57 AM
The clip can be removed with the flatblade screwdriver by applying some pressure to remove it from it's groove in the axle

Pappy
07-27-2008, 10:02 AM
Remove the two rear brake caliper mounting bolts and swing caliper out of the way.

Now you can slide off the axle nuts and brake stay and rotor

Remove the bearing carrier retaining c-clip using the snap ring pliers, or in a pinch a pair of needle nose pliers will work if the tips are small enough to fit into the holes. (Snap ring pliers work best)

Pappy
07-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Remove the c-clip and brake stay

Now you can remove the chain from the sprocket and slide the axle out, and remove the bearing carrier.

Thats it, your axle is now out and the carrier can be replaced or is now ready for your inspection.

When reassembling, it will be benficial to have someone actually sit on the machine and hold the rear brake as you tighten the axle lock and jam nuts and the hub nuts. The stock axle nuts on Honda machines are notorious for loosening once removed for the first time, and aftermarket units are available at a fair price that have set screws to keep them tight. You can even modify your stock nut but thats another article!

interceptorz28
09-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Perfect instructions man! Just what I was looking for.

quad handler
09-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by interceptorz28
Perfect instructions man! Just what I was looking for.

Your exactly right, excelent right up. Only thing on mine has a 27 mm axle nut, 24's are on the front. Thanks Pappy..

alberto
11-16-2008, 11:09 PM
Pappy,

This is what I was looking for. I just recently broke the bearing carrier on my sons 01 tring to adjust the chain after install in 13 tooth front sproket. My question to you is do you recommend replacing this part with an OEM or an aftermarket? There are tons of choices our there.

Pappy
11-16-2008, 11:15 PM
Double edged sword of an answer:p

The stock carriers last along time for most folks if all they do is general riding. They are cheap on ebay and in the classifieds on most atv forums.

Aftermarket are stronger, the housing itself doesnt usualy break like the cast aluminum oem units, but bearing life is about the same.

Just ask yourself what type of riding you do the most. If your carrier from an 01 just failed, you might just throw back in a take out unit bought for a few bucks off ebay!

alberto
11-16-2008, 11:32 PM
We are recreational riders. Mostly dunes. I think I will save a few bucks and shop OEM! Thanks for the heads up.

zeno
11-23-2008, 11:25 AM
Brilliant article. ... You mention modifying the locknut! This is constantly loosening on my 400ex. Any sugestions??

grassman
02-10-2009, 09:01 PM
thanks for the how to... it made it real easy

RATPACK Z400
02-22-2009, 12:46 PM
I use lock tight on the nut.

renslip6990
05-03-2009, 07:19 PM
hey do i have to grease up any hubs or o ring gaskets on anything?

oilguy
05-21-2009, 05:35 PM
thanks for the info

Imbroke
06-21-2009, 04:45 PM
i cant get my lock nut loose is there a secret to it or what this thing wont move a hair

sandalanalyst
06-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Use a big *** pipe wrench, when u put it on the lock nut ( the thin 1) your gonna push down on it, si its backwards from what you would usually do or think I guess but ya loose the lock nut first get it back some, then same thing with the big nut, screw that all the way twords ur caliper and you'll see a clip there, you can get it from there hopefully.... That's the only tricky part though

Imbroke
06-21-2009, 07:20 PM
wow after hours of trying i finaly got it but i broke on big pipe wrench and bent the other one real bad now that i have the small nut turned in all the way do i turn the big one in the same direction

sandalanalyst
06-21-2009, 07:29 PM
yisserrrr... good luck man, mine was tight on the 400 too, i had to read this post a few times, its all right here though, im pretty sure, this is what i used, also, i dont remember what size pipe wrench i used but i bet it was a good 24" or even more, the biggest one i got comes almost to my hip from the ground, i even had to put a pipe on that to get the leverage.. lol

sandalanalyst
06-21-2009, 07:33 PM
renslip.. grease is good, long as its in the sealed area between the 2 seals, cant go wrong throwing some grease in there, if you have an aftermarket carrier it should have a zerk on it, grease er up.. if its stock, i recommend putting a zerk fitting on it, ive even heard someone mention taking the seals off the bearings themselfs, just the side that faces in... but idk about all that, seems it would grease the bearings better, but.. if your rubber seals go in your carrier and your getting water and dirt in there, those bearings would surely be toast alot quicker.. so idk, id try it once, bearings are cheap on fleabay

Imbroke
06-21-2009, 08:01 PM
now what am i doing wrong when i turn the big nut the sleve and eveything turns did i do something wrong or is it ok i have the jam nut turned all the way in towards the carrier

sandalanalyst
06-21-2009, 11:31 PM
well if you have the big nut all the way twords the carrier, you should see the clip on the axle, take it off, then the axle lock nut assy. will slide off, letting you get at the rest of your crap.. read this thread from the first post on page one... if that doesnt help maybe you should pay someone else to do it man... not to be ignorant but this is simple **it.... this thread explains step by step with pictures how to do this job.. it doesnt get much simpler than that man...

Imbroke
06-22-2009, 01:21 PM
i finally got it last night i knew what i was doing its just it was so tight that i thought i was doing something wrong but thanks all i have to do now is get the bearings out of it and get it ready for new ones

sandalanalyst
06-22-2009, 11:38 PM
good luck getting those bearings out... when it was time to do mine, i found a whole billet carrier with twin row bearings on ebay for like 80bucks.. cant go wrong there, not having to screw with those bearings, i can see how they'd be a pain to get out... but id check ebay, i think the guy makes em.. you cant find an aftermarket billet carrier that cheap anywhere specially with twin rows in it..

AbnMP13
08-10-2009, 04:10 PM
What size wrench fits those nuts? Other than a pipe wrench....

AbnMP13
08-12-2009, 05:25 AM
Bump!

07300EX
09-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Hello I was wondering if someone could tell me what the tiny springs are all around the inside of the axle carrier on the chain adjuster side. I just burnt the other seal and pried it off but when i did the same to the other side i could see the springs inside the seal.

Thanks

Imbroke
09-05-2009, 03:01 PM
my guess would be that its part of the bearings when i did mine the left side was smashed and there was alot of little stuff like that inside the carrier so i just ripped out everything and cleaned it real good and put the new bearings in

Muddinguy
10-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by 07300EX
Hello I was wondering if someone could tell me what the tiny springs are all around the inside of the axle carrier on the chain adjuster side. I just burnt the other seal and pried it off but when i did the same to the other side i could see the springs inside the seal.

Thanks
It used to be one long spring... it's part of the seal.. I believe it keeps pressure on the seal so it actually seals against the shaft

dankbud42o
10-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Great tut :D. I just bought and installed a new RAD carrier with a Zerk fitting. ive been reading and reading and even asking people about greasing it and i seem to find mixed answers...how much grease am i supposed to pump into the new carrier? a few ppl said till u see grease squeezing out of the sides...others have said squeeze till u feel pressure build up then stop, otherwise itll blow the walls of the bearings and or blow the seals...so how do i know if i have enough or not? so far i pumped till i felt pressure and heard a little air being released out the side (sounded like air and a lil grease...the squishy sound. hopefully it wasnt too much and i didnt blow anything). i ran it and it ran good, but i want to make sure on this....and how often should i be greasing it? again i heard if u over grease it im gonna blow a seal or the bearing wall?? thanks.

Andrew Eden
10-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Ok i have jest put in a new bearing case on my 2001 Honda 400ex and i was wandering, i don't have a rear break but i have the brake disk and hub will it affect my bearing any at all. i know i need the hub to seal the case but is the break mount also suppose to keep the case from moving?:confused:

rlbuhsjr
12-07-2009, 07:49 AM
I am trying to removel axle on my 2001 400ex to replace shot bearings and carrier took c-clip out and both nuts off, but the threaded part on brake hub will not come out I have tried beating on end of axle and wont move. I just bout this quad looks like has never been removed real lack of maintance by previous owner. Any suggestions on how to remove this axle.

slightlybent47
12-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by rlbuhsjr
I am trying to removel axle on my 2001 400ex to replace shot bearings and carrier took c-clip out and both nuts off, but the threaded part on brake hub will not come out I have tried beating on end of axle and wont move. I just bout this quad looks like has never been removed real lack of maintance by previous owner. Any suggestions on how to remove this axle.

Can you attach a pic?

batch71
12-26-2009, 03:54 PM
I have successfully changed my carrier from a completely shot stock carrier to a nice new shiny greasable Gibson twin row. Woot!!

Thanks a million for the tutorial as it really made it way easier for me and saved me the $130 the local shop wanted for the labor.

Dave :)

blacklabel117
01-12-2010, 04:21 PM
hey thanks alot for showing man needed this cuz i miss my baby shes paralized right now rear bearings went out

clemsonteg
01-17-2010, 09:11 PM
What keeps the threaded sleeve from just turning around when you try to back off the large nut. Does it have splines or something on the inside that fit on the axle?

moddedblaster20
06-11-2010, 08:02 PM
yea the threaded piece that the 2 nuts are on is splined onto the axle

thecsfour
05-14-2012, 07:55 PM
I got the point of removing the axle. When I hit it with the mallet the bearing carrier came out with the axle. Or I should say part of the bearing carrier came out. It was broke on the inside of the swing arm. So when the axle came out part of the carrier came out. Now I can not get the remaining part of the carrier off the axle.
Is the spacer that is on the inside of the carrier a press fit to the axle???? Because it does not want to come off the axle.

Any ideas anyone??

wyman84
08-08-2012, 11:45 AM
I'm trying to replace the rear axle bearings in my 2003 400ex, after a ***** of a time trying to loosen the axle nuts, I got them of and now I can't remove the rest rotor bracket cause the threaded axle section the axle nuts go on won't budge, I've watched YouTube vids and.it seems like it slides right off but mine will not, I've used wd40, liquid wrench, and pb blaster, any suggestions or tips?
Screw driver is on the part in question

Darnell J. Neal
07-09-2013, 09:29 AM
The clip can be removed with the flatblade screwdriver by applying some pressure to remove it from it's groove in the axle
Can you suggest us any specific model for that?