PDA

View Full Version : jobs that allow you to race

blakefoote
07-26-2008, 10:08 PM
tell me what jobs you guys have that allow you to race and train consistantly

diangelo#67
07-26-2008, 10:18 PM
the first part of the year I was training like I should have but as the season continued I was screwed into working more then normal so I only race in the a-class and don't have time to practice....unless at the track, Oh I'm a plumber and it is very hard to take off, spend time away from my little girl and wife, But this is a disease and I'm trying to fight it:devil:

07-26-2008, 10:28 PM
fireman, thats the career ive chosen to persue and they have ALOT of free time.

bmxican345
07-26-2008, 10:39 PM
atv / dirtbike dealership

not only am i employed but im on the race team =]

Quad18star
07-26-2008, 10:42 PM
I don't race .... but if you work at a dealership , you should have plenty of free time.

Most around here close at 6pm on weekdays, have reduced hours on Saturdays and are closed Sundays. ;) AND , usually will give you a discount on a machine , parts , etc

ZeroLogic
07-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Don't race but, I'm a general contractor. Fun but hard work.:p

gcart2
07-27-2008, 05:07 AM
professional full sponsored racer......

blakefoote
07-27-2008, 06:12 AM
well i've worked at 2 dealerships now and cant every get off with either job... seems like im always workin saturdays and sundays

450raider
07-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by blakefoote
well i've worked at 2 dealerships now and cant every get off with either job... seems like im always workin saturdays and sundays

well at least you can work at a dealer, where i live (about 50 mi. north of you, going by your knoxville location) i got quite a few dealers but theyre all owned by the same a-holes and their families run em......

JRP
07-27-2008, 01:10 PM
i work at a resutrant that opens at 4, and closes at 10:30. I have friday-sundays off, and im more friends with my manager than a boss. Theres always people wanting to pick up shifts, so its real easy if you need to go to a race and need a day off for traveling.

bcg717
07-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by z400rider08
fireman, thats the career ive chosen to persue and they have ALOT of free time.

Thats true and not so true. If you plan/need to make every race you wont be able to b/c there will be alot of time you will be working on race days. If your track only practices on certain days you'll be missing some of those also. If you get injured your dept. is not going to be happy with a rookie taking injury time b/c of racing. 8/10 firefighters have 2nd jobs so they can have a better life and that will take even more time out of your schedule. Being a firefighter Can be the best job ever, But its not a piece of cake some make out to believe.

greenblood01
07-27-2008, 04:53 PM
I work at a dealership, I get 10% over dealer cost on all parts and accessories, along with $50 over dealer cost on new and used atvs, motorcycles, etc.. I work monday, tuesday, thursday, and friday 8:30 to 5:30, and saturday we close at 4. The best thing about my schedule is that wednesday and sunday are the practice days at the local track, and the days that most races are ran :)

07-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Third shift factory worker, I am home every day 8am to 10:30pm. Just a matter of how much sleep I want to get. Lots of time I choose very little. Overtime changes at anytime. Most of the year it's all voluntary, othertimes you can be getting forced every other week or every week at it's worst. But the weekend work for me is Friday night, so I get home 8am saturday. If you work thirds, all you have to decide is how much sleep do you really need.

chadbarger18
07-27-2008, 06:05 PM
High school :devil: i get everyday from june to august off lol

8my_Cash
07-28-2008, 07:04 AM
Full time college student, Trust me....you have a lot of time to do nothing with

...i think your supposed to study but i ahvent figure taht out yet.

or a corporate america job with a 4 day work week

RideRed84
07-28-2008, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by 8my_Cash
Full time college student, Trust me....you have a lot of time to do nothing with

...i think your supposed to study but i ahvent figure taht out yet.

or a corporate america job with a 4 day work week

I wish my office would go to a 4 day work week. There was some talk but nothing came of it. I work 7-3:15 M-F and I'm home by 4:30 at the latest. I have to go to bed early but I have from 4:30 till dusk everyday plus weekends. When I was in school I had a lot of free time but home work sucked. Now I make enough to afford riding every weekend.

ltr450rider21
07-28-2008, 03:52 PM
a dealership is a good idea but if you work all week, then saturday you get off at 3, when would you practice?

blakefoote
07-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by ltr450rider21
a dealership is a good idea but if you work all week, then saturday you get off at 3, when would you practice?

exactly... i work at a aftermarket retailer now we are actually open 7 days a week... mon threw thur 10-7... friday 10-8... saturday 9-6... sunday 10-5... i work part time so i get a really random schedule but im always there open-close saturdays and sundays

QuadJunkies
07-28-2008, 10:27 PM
One thing I have noticed is that alot of peeps seem to be self employed,own there own companies and such so they can set there schedules abit more than those who have to work for someone else.
I am very spoiled with my job. I have been there for 14 years and my boss LOVES me . He knows the importance it is to my family and is one of the few bosses out there that I think actually values me somewhat. :p
As for my Husband, he is not as lucky as we have had to at alot of races pay for airfare out and a car rental so that he can go back to work on Monday morning while I drive the rest of us home. Not so cost effective for sure .:ermm:

I have asked a few of the bike guys at the local shops if they get to race much and some of them do on Sundays since they are not open then, but any Sat racing or out of town stuff they cant do because they have to run the shop on the wk ends.