PDA

View Full Version : timing

dvx304racer
07-26-2008, 08:03 PM
can someone tell me how to get my 2007 dvx400 engine timing and timing chain where it needs to be and also if the timing inspection cover should have a T on it and what the exhasut and intake cans should read any advise would be great thanks

airmobile101
07-27-2008, 02:10 AM
If you go to z400central.com, and search "timing", it will break it down for yea. Thet have a nice write up about Hotcams being installed.

dvx304racer
07-27-2008, 10:28 AM
ok thanks alot

dvx304racer
07-28-2008, 10:46 AM
that z400central site really didn't help me out it didn't say anything about if the engine should be at top dead center and where the cams should be positioned if anyone else has more info it would help alot thanks

cataway
07-28-2008, 06:52 PM
top dead center is a given thats why you must look for the T on the flywheel, you will find it under the the plug on the left side of the engine ,its a plug that takes an Allen wrench to get out and you will need to take the bigger one out on the side so that you can get a socket on the nut to turn the flywheel .

take off the front fenders ,gas tank and engine valve cover
you will see that there are marks on the gears ,when the T is in sight on the fly wheel and the cam timing marks are to the up position its TDC.
if you have to remove the cams you must remove the cam chain tensioner, its on the right side next to the black thing with all the hoses going to it ,you will need to remove it ,its held on with one small screw , the cam chain tensioner is held on with two Allen head screws but remove the cap first to release the spring pressure.
check the valve lash and change the shims to the ones that give the right valve lash ,if you dont have the shim kit GET IT ,with out it you may as well take it to a dealer and have it done for you . after you have the right valve lash
put the exhaust cam in first then the intake there should be 15 pins on the chain that can be counted between the two top marks of the cams.
(14 1/2 if you have hot cams)
then double check the valve lash before you put the valve cover back on as you may have to put in a different shim than what you thought was right , (ya been there done that). then the and the cam chain tensioner gos back in place and every other thing thing that came off .
seams to me the bolts that hold the cams in are torqued to 8 foot pounds.
other than that get your self a shop manual ,there not that expensive !

dvx304racer
07-28-2008, 07:26 PM
ok thank you that helps alot better than the site