PDA

View Full Version : Removing A Arms

jbelia
07-26-2008, 07:22 PM
I want to remove the front A Arms from my 88 250R and the repair manual says I need a special tool (ball joint remover). Anybody know if removing the A arms and knucle can be done without the special tool?

If the tool is required, do I need the Honda one or can I get one from somewhere else?

Also, I want to paint the A amrs since they are rusted on the front. I don't want to powder coat them just something quick. Can sombody recommend a paint product that would work well.

Thanks!

cdrookie
07-26-2008, 09:22 PM
you can use an automotive tie rod end remover to get the ball joints loose, just grease the forks first and be careful not to rip the boots. can also use a bolt and nut to "press" the balljoints out. sometimes loosening up the nuts and smacking the arms with a dead blow hammer works.

for paint use a quality paint(i like rustoleum professional) and spray a couple coats of minwax polyeurothane on after the paint dries.

deathman53
07-27-2008, 03:34 PM
I have the ball joint tools, don't always work. I usually put the ball joint fork in give it small push down and at the same time smack the spindle with a hammer, knocks them out easy. I've ripped ball joints just using the forks.