PDA

View Full Version : Need help with jetting, full HMF/stage 2 hotcam...BAD!

AtvKid4Eva
07-26-2008, 06:11 PM
alright guys im working on a buddys 400ex..it has a hotcam stage 2 and a full HMF exhaust...it has a 165 keighn mainjet, 38pilot, 2.5 turns out on a/f screw and the needle is on the very bottom notch...it seems to idle normal but when the throttle is touched in the low rpms is has a sputter and wants to stall...once i get to the top end it runs super strong..has a little black smoke coming out...please guys i need help..im located in ohio if that helps...thanks.

Def-e-nition
07-26-2008, 06:39 PM
When you say bottom notch - you mean Top of the needle , Or Bottm?
If bottom , My guess would be for you guys to play with that . I reckon It might be running Wayyyyy too rich from 1/4 to 3/4,having the Needle so far "up".
Read elsewhere what black smoke and white smoke mean , I found an article on this site somewhere , just seem to have lost it .
:ermm:

AtvKid4Eva
07-26-2008, 06:48 PM
if u look at the needle from the tops down it is in the very last notch towards the bottom...im not new to this i am just stumped and need some help..could be running a bit rich due to the bit of black smoke...c'mon guys keep the advice coming! thanks

rideracelivemx7
07-26-2008, 07:38 PM
black smoke i belive is not getting enough fuel. 38 is stock i belive and thats a no no for cam and ful exhaust. try a 40 or 42 and i can almost guarentee thats the problem, 3d clip position and 2.5 turns out and work from there. id put my money on that.

GPracer2500
07-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by rideracelivemx7
black smoke i belive is not getting enough fuel....

black smoke = rich

Hondamaster5505
07-26-2008, 08:13 PM
You shouldn't be on the last notch:huh

That's way way way too rich. Try moving the clip up 1 or 2 notches and throw a 42 pilot in.

I can almost guarentee thats your problem.

Def-e-nition
07-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
black smoke = rich

Oi - Thanks Gp .
Good to hear" from you again .
I'm also avin some trouble with mine ... time for an overhaul.

AtvKid4Eva
07-27-2008, 05:23 PM
can anyone with a similiar setup tell me your jetting specs?

Honda#4
07-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Well I got a Stg 2 cam,ported head, wb slip-on, 10:8:1 comp and so far I run a 168 main, clip is gonna be on the 2nd slot from the top and 2 turns out on the A/F screw.

Hondamaster5505
07-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by AtvKid4Eva
can anyone with a similiar setup tell me your jetting specs?

:ermm:

Did you even try adjusting the clip yet? It seems like you're just ignoring that and going strictly by the jets

You're running too rich. Your pilot is lean and your main sounds rich. Not to mention your needle.

The needle makes a large difference. The lower you go the richer it gets. You should try it on the 2nd or 3rd notch. Then slap a 42 pilot in and see how it runs.

I don't understand. Yes, it takes more time, but it's free and im almost POSITIVE thats where your problem lies.:ermm:

AtvKid4Eva
07-27-2008, 09:06 PM
i know man thats what i was going to do...i suspected my needle i have it out of the bike and plan on moving the clip up and trying that..if that dosent work i was gonna get a 42 pilot..i bought the carb used so the guy before me had it all out of wack...thanks for the help guys wont have time till tuesday but i will let u guys know how it runs..