PDA

View Full Version : Some **** happened today

THORrider350
07-26-2008, 03:42 PM
i took my 07 yfz ballance edition to get the valve adjusted to my local cycle shop and i also had the do the cam mod to my bike... i get there today and he says take it for a ride and see how you like it... about 5 seconds into it i ump on it in 2nd and the things falls on its face and i hear something that sounds like a chain snapped??? i look down at my chain and it is fine and then i try and start it and it wont start... so we take it inside and he tears it down and looks at it and he said that the intake cam skipped a tooth?? he said wow he has never seen that... also he did another test i believe a leak test and said that the intake cam is possibly bent cause it was leaking air when he did this test.... i know seriously like nothing about this ****, so can someone break this down and tell me what the hell happened, what did he do wrong (if he did), and what am i looking at in parts, and am i responsible to pay for this or him? I am just in need of some help here... he said everything was tight when he took the top off..?? but i mean for it to skip wouldnt it need to be loose? the teeth are in perfect condition, like the bike is brand new i was just getting it checked up on cause they say your suppose to have that done... THANKS guys i appreciate the help.

yfzrider310
07-26-2008, 08:52 PM
well if it ran good before he did this I would say it is his problem so I wouldn't pay him S**t. More than likely he didn't tighten the cam chain after he put it back together. I would say he lied that everything was tight because I can't think of anything that would make a cam chain slip other than a loose chain. He also could have advanced the cam instead of retarding it.

Ride1Rob
07-27-2008, 04:34 AM
Your cam chain can skip if it's worn out also. But this doesn't appear to be an issue for you. It is definitely something that the shop/mechanic did wrong. As far as your cam being bent, that's not possible unless you drop a sledge hammer down on top of it or something :rolleyes: . When the timing jumped it bent (AT LEAST) one of your valves. Titanium valves run over $60 for one while stainless valves run about $35. The mechanic is responsible for paying this b/c it is a result of something he did.

ohsobad_chevy
07-27-2008, 08:17 AM
With that being said, go with some nice Ti valves and all new seals and guides.

The shop should definitely take care of this one. Let us know how they handle it. :)

KYmxracer52
07-27-2008, 11:10 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't offer to pay anything. Just talk to them in the tone that THEY are responsible for all damages and repairs. You never had any problems like this before it went in the shop. Post results when you find out.

THORrider350
07-28-2008, 01:28 PM
ok so the shop called me today and he had this to say..... First off the cause of all of these problems he is saying is from a streched cam chain...? He said that i will need a new cam chain, 3 new intake valves, and has to gring 3 valve seats and to get some other little stuff done... like i said earlier in this post, i dont know jack **** about this stuff but am trying to learn.. My question is if the cam chain was streched wouldnt he have noticed that when he did the cam mod and also from this **** happening wouldnt this make the cam chain strech? ? Does any of this sounds right... I just got the quad new like 4 months ago and ride it just about every weekend...

Also, they are implying that i am responsible for all the damages and will have to fork over the cash to have this stuff done.

Ride1Rob
07-28-2008, 09:41 PM
BULL***** :mad: . If you got that bike new 4-5 months ago that chain would not have stretched. He's screwing you!!! What happened to his theory that your intake cam was bent? It seems to me that he really doesn't know what he's doing.

The damage is a result of what he did and nothing more. You can get 2yrs easy off of a timing chain. Many peeps replace them once they rebuild their motors b/c they are cheap to replace ($15).

If he has to grind your valves seats your head has been damaged from the valves slapping against the piston, breaking, and being rammed against the piston and the bottom of your head. IF this occured, the piston should be damaged as well. Your mechanic seems shady and like I said b/f he's screwing you. If you need more help let me know ;) .

THORrider350
07-29-2008, 12:23 AM
Thanks man i appreciate the help, i am gonna go up there tomorrow and talk to the guy and tell him this stuff and see what he has to say about it, cause just feel like i am getting ****ed bad

KYmxracer52
07-29-2008, 08:44 AM
Don't let them push you around. Of course they are going to make it sound like they had nothing to do with it. I would go ahead and maybe give the Better Business Buruea a call and let them know what they are doing. At least you have that as leverage when getting them to fix it. I would also say that if the quad is only 4 months old, it should be covered under warranty! Tell them no matter what, either they can man up to the damage they caused, or they can go ahead and fix it under warranty anyway. Either way, don't you dare pay a penny on this mess!! Let the morons take care of it.

Ride1Rob
07-29-2008, 09:55 AM
The only thing that he's obligated to pay is what he originally brought the bike up there for. Anything that happened afterwards is on the shop. Tell me this, is this a stealership or a independent shop?

88 250r
07-29-2008, 01:03 PM
all yfz automatically have 6 month warranty from the dealer so tell him to fix it and eat the money since he made the mistake

THORrider350
07-29-2008, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
The only thing that he's obligated to pay is what he originally brought the bike up there for. Anything that happened afterwards is on the shop. Tell me this, is this a stealership or a independent shop?

It is an independent shop that is really starting to make me want to hulk out on them. he is giving me the run around (the mechanic) i am going in tomorrow after work and talk to the manager of the place and tell him everything everyone has been saying... The warranty wont work cause the quad was bought by my neighbor who is 56 years old in december and he rode it once and knew he could handle it considering he never rode before lol... so i pick it up off of him in April for 4 grand with literally 3 hours on the bike.. so warranty is out, but i will post tomorrow after i talk to them..

THORrider350
08-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Spoke to the shop owner and he is taking care of me completely.. I dont know what the mechanic was thinking? The owner was pretty cool about it! all is well my YFZ will live to ride again... question for you all now? Since i am into the top end, any suggestions?? i.e. hot cams, what kind of piston and rings, etc??

Ride1Rob
08-04-2008, 11:43 AM
I've never dealt with them, but CP makes a very durable piston from what I've read. I've had 2 highcomp JE pistons and both cracked. I currently run a OEM piston and will stay with it. Cams are a good investment but you need to modify the head to maximise (sp) the cams. A nice port job alone will give some good hp gains. Let me know if you'd like to get your head ported.

ohsobad_chevy
08-04-2008, 02:50 PM
You said that the shop is going to take care of it completely......just a speculation, but I doubt they are going to pay for aftermarket items such as a CP hc piston, hotcam, or anything like that. They will probably order factory replacement parts from yamaha.
You might clear that up with them though, who knows.

THORrider350
08-05-2008, 03:21 PM
he is giving me a run down of what it will cost for all oem parts and if i choose to i can use the money there and pay the difference in getting hot cams, port job, after market piston...

ohsobad_chevy
08-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by THORrider350
he is giving me a run down of what it will cost for all oem parts and if i choose to i can use the money there and pay the difference in getting hot cams, port job, after market piston...

SWEET!!! I would be all over that if I were in your situation.

Get a CP 13.5:1 piston, I would go with web cams vs. hotcams, but to each his own, and kibblewhite valves, etc. :cool:

Ride1Rob
08-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by ohsobad_chevy
SWEET!!! I would be all over that if I were in your situation.

Get a CP 13.5:1 piston, I would go with web cams vs. hotcams, but to each his own, and kibblewhite valves, etc. :cool:

All good choices! The webcams will put more wear and tear on the top end (Valves, buckets, springs, etc...) because of their aggressive lift. As far as the Kibblewhite valves, If you go with those you'll need to purchase stronger springs as well and that'll run another $200. The difference between the Titanium valves and the Stainless valves is that the Ti valves are more likely to bend upon impact while the St valves are more likely to break. On the flip side, the St valves last longer. So it's a matter of what you want to do ;) .

250r4life
08-06-2008, 10:19 AM
i dunno guys...

considering how much the owner of this bike knows, and considering how good this mechanic is, do you really think it is a good idea for A) the owner to own this bike with all these mods and B) the bike shop who couldnt retard the cam correctly to install all these mods?

Ride1Rob
08-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
i dunno guys...

considering how much the owner of this bike knows, and considering how good this mechanic is, do you really think it is a good idea for A) the owner to own this bike with all these mods and B) the bike shop who couldnt retard the cam correctly to install all these mods?

You bring up a GREAT point. I don't think I'd trust that mechanic to do the work (lol). That's something I didn't think about. As far as the owner, I don't see a problem with him getting the bike modded. I'm kinda confused on your point on this. There are plenty of riders that get their motors modded that can't wrench very well on those motors. He'll learn as he goes and he needs a mechanic that he can trust.

ohsobad_chevy
08-06-2008, 03:37 PM
That is a very good point. I am not for sure if I would want them installing the parts or not. Maybe they just had an "oops".....mistakes do happen. But something as easy as retarding the ex. cam 1 tooth, any mechanic should be able to that easily. The average Joe could watch the instructional video and do it.

I think that if you don't really have strong mechanical knowledge, then you are better off staying with OEM parts in the motor. Just my opinion. :)

250r4life
08-18-2008, 02:23 PM
what ended up being the outcome of all this?

mbx5
08-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Thorrider - I am from your area (sort of) - in Greenville PA area...ride at 846 trails, etc... Where do you typically ride? Also - I am curious what shop you had the work done at...PM me if you dont want to disclose it here....