PDA

View Full Version : Whats This Noise!

monkeyballs
07-26-2008, 01:05 PM
I have a honda 400ex 2002. Im going for a ride and then I hear some light squeeking. I was like wtf? Then I figure it out the hole front right bearing was turning instead of the outer peace. Since the crown nut was not tight enough I could unscrew it with my hand.. So I tightened it. It stoped... for a while. Then now realy randomy it starts squeeling and I can feel the bike draging. Im not sure what it is. Im guessing the bering is seased. But there new 3 months old. What could this be?

400exrider707
07-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Sounds like maybe the bearing is spinning inside of the hub. You may need a new hub for that.... Take it apart and look. If it was loose before and you rode it like that, it doesn't matter how old the bearing is, it's probably shot.

monkeyballs
07-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Sounds like maybe the bearing is spinning inside of the hub. You may need a new hub for that.... Take it apart and look. If it was loose before and you rode it like that, it doesn't matter how old the bearing is, it's probably shot. Damit what exactkly am I looking for? Like how can I tell its the hub.

And I just took off the hub nut and lubed the hole inside.. Then torqued it 2 the right torque.. not just tight.. (43fp's) And its almost stoped. At random times and almost rarely now it starts squeeking at low speeds. And u can bary hear it. Well ty so far. Any clue how much it is for a new hub?

Also I would not be surprised since it started after I went 2 a sad pit and riped hard :D. Worth it lol ty

400exrider707
07-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Well hopefully its not the hub and you can get away with new bearings. I'd take the wheel and the hub off and inspect. See if the bearing is spinning like normal. Most likely its just the bearing, but it may be the hub. Try rolling the bearing with your finger and see if it rolls smooth. If not replace it. If that doesn't fix it, you probably need the hub. If the bearing isn't hard coming out or doesn't need to be hammered into the new hub its probably shot (i.e. it falls out of the hub or the new one falls in)

monkeyballs
07-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Well hopefully its not the hub and you can get away with new bearings. I'd take the wheel and the hub off and inspect. See if the bearing is spinning like normal. Most likely its just the bearing, but it may be the hub. Try rolling the bearing with your finger and see if it rolls smooth. If not replace it. If that doesn't fix it, you probably need the hub. If the bearing isn't hard coming out or doesn't need to be hammered into the new hub its probably shot (i.e. it falls out of the hub or the new one falls in) K well the other day I took every thing off the hub spacers. Then I lubed those parts. The bearing did not just slide out. But the spacers did. Then I gave the bearing a whirl and it turned nice and smothly. So I guess its the hub :(. But it has not squeeked for 2 days now. Lets pray it wont do it again. "dear god STAY OUT OF MY WAY!" lol jks... So how much is a new hub and what brand should I go with? Then ty for all the hlp.

400exrider707
07-30-2008, 01:40 PM
If the bearing race isnt' spinning inside of the hub, the hub is still good. If you do need a new hub, just get another set of facotry hubs used somewhere (ebay) they're the least expensive. Aftermarket hubs are $$$. If you got the money to spend I love Hardkor hubs. Great hubs right there.

If its not squeaking anymroe and it rolls smoothly, just ride it. Make sure to keep an eye on it and make sure the nut stays tight. There should be a pin in there to prevent that nut from spinning off anyway...