PDA

View Full Version : Warming up the engine

tman12345
07-26-2008, 12:42 PM
On my quad it takes a couple minutes for my engine to warm up. If you don't let it warm, it dies if you give it gas. Is this because of not having the right jets in, because my friends 400ex's start up and are good to go instantly. Its not really a problem for me, but is it just jetting or something else?

Hondamaster5505
07-26-2008, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by tman12345
On my quad it takes a couple minutes for my engine to warm up. If you don't let it warm, it dies if you give it gas. Is this because of not having the right jets in, because my friends 400ex's start up and are good to go instantly. Its not really a problem for me, but is it just jetting or something else?

Mine was the same exact way when it was stock, and when i had the exhaust without jetting it. It sucked cold starting, and wouldnt rev without the choke. it would just die.

I installed a 42 pilot and 155 main for the exhaust, and now it starts up awesome and actually will rev a little when you give it gas.

Did you ever change the pilot jet? If so, what size?

tman12345
07-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
Mine was the same exact way when it was stock, and when i had the exhaust without jetting it. It sucked cold starting, and wouldnt rev without the choke. it would just die.

I installed a 42 pilot and 155 main for the exhaust, and now it starts up awesome and actually will rev a little when you give it gas.

Did you ever change the pilot jet? If so, what size?

I don't even know what size jets I have I'm the third owner and theres quite a few mods but the guy who put on my exhaust said he jetted it so it would start in the cold back when it was still chilly. What would recommend doing, like go bigger on certain jets, please explain, I'm a jetting noob.

Hondamaster5505
07-26-2008, 07:41 PM
I don't even know what size jets I have I'm the third owner and theres quite a few mods but the guy who put on my exhaust said he jetted it so it would start in the cold back when it was still chilly. What would recommend doing, like go bigger on certain jets, please explain, I'm a jetting noob.

haha, im a jetting noob too.

Take your carb off (or twist it sideways) and check to see what pilot jet is in it.

If it's stock, it will say K38

IF it is stock, go to a K42 pilot. It may even be K40, but you could still go up to a 42.

tman12345
07-26-2008, 07:43 PM
alright i'll try to check tommorrow morning before i go to work. If I switch to a 42 can I leave the other one the same.

Hondamaster5505
07-26-2008, 08:10 PM
alright i'll try to check tommorrow morning before i go to work. If I switch to a 42 can I leave the other one the same.

Well does the top-end run good? Basically if it doesn't bog or sputter at higher rpm's, then your main is probably fine. If not, you go higher or lower accordingly.

I'm almost positive that your problem lies in the pilot jet. Stock does exactly what you mentioned when you start it, and sometimes depending on elevation 40 may not be good enough either.

Ever since I put the 42 in, it starts SO easy. My dad always made fun of my quad when I started it saying "oh, thats because it's a POS honda" lol, because our yamaha's start fine. Then I put the 42 in, and he started his crap again before I even hit the starter. It started it up and I reved it, lol. Now he doesnt say anything