PDA

View Full Version : oil leaking from the tail pipe?!?!

08prarie360
07-26-2008, 12:14 AM
have a 1996 honda fourtrax 300 took off the the head to see if the valve was leaking, cleaned them up, but it was still smoking. Im pretty sure that im not losing any compression though. what happened was a freind of mine sunk it but after that it started right up. The cylinder wall looks fine along with the piston. The valves are just ticking and losing oil any advice.plz

GRASSHOPPER71
07-26-2008, 12:37 PM
WELL JUST BECAUSE THE CYLINDER WALLS AND PISTON LOOK GOOD DOESNT ALWAYS MEAN ANYTHING. THE VALVES NOT BEING SEATED WILL NOT MAKE IT SMOKE, IT SOUNDS LIKE TO ME IF HE SUNK IT YOU WILL NEED TO BORE THE CYLINDER AND REPLACE THE PISTON AND RINGS.
YOU CAN'T ALWAYS SEE IT BUT THE CYLINDER WILL EGG SHAPE AND JUST REPLACIN THE RINGS WILL BE A WASTE OF MONEY CUZ IT AINT GONNA DO ANY GOOD.
TAKE THE CYLINDER OFF AND TAKE IT TO A SHOP THAT WORKS ON BIKES AND LET THEM MEASURE THE ID OF THE CYLINDER AND SEE HOW FAR IT NEEDS TO BE BORED. I WOULD'NT BORE IT ANY BIGGER THEN YOU NEED TO JUST TO GET IT CLEANED UP,,, SO THAT WAY IF YOU KEEP THE BIKE LONG ENOUGH THAT YOU NEED TO REBUILD IT AGAIN YOU WILL BE ABLE TO BORE IT AGAIN.
I WOULD NEVER BORE A CYLINDER TO THE MAX IF IT WAS NOT NEEDED.

08prarie360
07-26-2008, 08:38 PM
so there is no way that the valve seat might be a problem? Why are the valves ticking do you think that the oil might be seaping through the exhaust valve. Would a compression test tell me if thats it or not?

GRASSHOPPER71
07-27-2008, 07:14 PM
BEING THAT IT'S THAT MUCH OIL THAT IT'S LEAKIN OUT THE EXHAUST PIPE IT'S MORE THAN LIKELY IT'S NOT A VALVE STEM SEAL AND NO,, THE VALVE SEAT IS'NT GONNA MAKE IT PUMP OIL.
SOUNDS LIKE TO ME THAT THE OIL RINGS GAVE UP ON YA.

durham454
07-31-2008, 09:23 AM
Yeah, def. rings, get it bored and honed and a least a new set of rings