PDA

View Full Version : chamber matching cool head

the dude
07-25-2008, 11:44 PM
What all do I need to know?

I have an LA sleeve 310, its at a 73mm piston, so thats a 300 right? anyways, new to me jug, just had machined and new piston and gaskets, but what looked to be the stock head..

I have a cool head, and talked to pro design, I can send the head there with all my specs and they will mil the dome to match what i want.

I know the dome needs to be enlarged, that would be way to much compression (it has a 20cc), wat would be a good cc to make the dome??

Engine specs:
1986 bottom end, LA sleeve 295-310 top end, at 73mm piston, just a clean up port job, 38 a/s carb. 100 octane (1/2 race 1/2 pump) mix at 36:1

Also on pipe selection, I was going to run the trx5 but now am interested in the new trx9, I ride mostly dunes, any thoughts?

Thanks

C-LEIGH RACING
07-26-2008, 06:22 AM
The 20cc cool head dome can be used, all needs doing is the squish area machined just a little, machined out to match the 73mm bore, this would be the cheapest route.

If you didnt want to mess with the machining deal, ProDesign has a big bore 310 dome for the cool head.
18cc would be a high compression race gas dome, so think about what gas your planning on running before ordering.
Neil

the dude
07-26-2008, 10:16 AM
They said the big bore dome was only for the pro-x head? Or are all the domes the same, just different sizes. If thats the case. what cc should i get to run 100 octane?

All250R
07-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by the dude
They said the big bore dome was only for the pro-x head? Or are all the domes the same, just different sizes. If thats the case. what cc should i get to run 100 octane?
If I may jump in, if you want to be detailed about it you should measure the compression ratio to determine what octane fuel you need. There's a chart on the upper right corner on this page that will help you see things more clearly. Also, he gives a 72x72 volume to help you determine what size dome is needed so you can get a ballpark.
compression chart (http://web.archive.org/web/20040415204829/www.macdizzy.com/compress.htm)