PDA

View Full Version : tie rods

ifixtheyride
07-25-2008, 08:58 PM
I gotta question I had one tie rod on the steering stem that kept coming loose so I ordered 4 new ones after I replaced them and went to the track after every practice session they were way loose. I have an 03 kfx400 and the nuts are not castle type the cotter pin is above the nut. The manual calls for a flat washer on the outer ones before they go through the spindle that doesn't seem right and no washer on the steering. Anyone have any tricks or suggestions? I did put medium strength loctite on.

03KFX400
Athena Big Bore
Sparks racing exhaust
39mm FCR carb
houser swingarm
Elka front shock
Ishock A Arms +2
G Force rear axle

airmobile101
07-25-2008, 10:20 PM
You need the castle nut. I tried that on a "all balls" kit on the outside right tie rod end. They gave me a thin nut compared to the castle nut . The castle nut was able to tighten down more before installing the cotter key. I guess you could washer it also,but I would groove a spot in that nut for a cotter key to slip in.

ifixtheyride
07-26-2008, 07:45 AM
Thanks, I do have the all balls kit as well the I was looking at an 08 z400 at the shop and it has the castle nuts I wonder if they are the same thread?

airmobile 101 how do you like that RPM grab bar?

airmobile101
07-27-2008, 02:18 AM
PRM grab bar is awesome for the price. Just wish I wouldnt have been so cheap and got the basic one(need one wider). Its well worth the money.

That castle nut should work. Just go to Bike Bandit and see if you can order only the castle nut.