PDA

View Full Version : NO SPARK whats wrong

tkatka70
12-04-2002, 07:39 PM
Well i found out that my spark plug dosent have any spark. Bought new plug. It is winter now and i never a problam with it in the summer. A week or two ago i went rideing and it wouldnt start. SO i pulled the plug and no spark. Then suddenly after i kicked it over a few more time is sparked. So i put in back in fired right up for a few minutes then died again. Waited awhile then it started up again. Went riding and it died on me about 3 times. I kept starting it up after it dies a few minutes. Then finnally it kept running. It was like when it was cold it kept killing but once it warmed up it didnt do it anymore. So today i was going to spin around on it alittle and it wouldnt start. It was colder today then the other day i went riding. So i went out there kicked it over a few times and nothing. Pulled the plug no spark.

SO what it seems like is the cold is affecting it. What is wrong with it. Im thinking the coil is going bad or something. Ohh by the way i got a 1987 250X

Ryan
12-04-2002, 07:43 PM
Its old, it could have a million problems :huh . It could possible be your coil. Look in side the boot of the spark plug and check if their is any resido or whatever could get in there. My friend had a similar problem to this.

*Not a Mechanic*

Houser Cannondale
12-04-2002, 07:47 PM
might want to check your cdi box also. temperature may be affecting and when the motor warms up.. engine heat may affect it. also your coil could be going bad.

nakomis0
12-04-2002, 07:50 PM
Sounds exactly like your cdi box. I'm about 90% sure. Thats the typical way they go out.

300exazzkikr
12-04-2002, 08:08 PM
i would check you coil first. Check the wire. Pull the cap off..and cut like 1/8" off and see if it's green. keep cutting away until it's not green. If it's green far up the wire then i would get a new coil. Mine went bad on my 250x..if you want more help..pm me.

Ryan
12-04-2002, 08:16 PM
If its heat affecting it then it could be the cdi box. It happened to my friends kodiak. before I was talking about another story. My friends kodiak used to warm up, be able to ride for a second and then it would bog down and just shut down.

nakomis0
12-06-2002, 11:01 AM
Someone is selling a new 250x CDI box in the 'For Sale' section.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36082

OutlawEX
12-06-2002, 04:04 PM
Ya man it can be alot of things,I had this problem and i got a new CDI and it started,could be the coil,a wire shortening:rolleyes:

12-06-2002, 05:46 PM
check the cdi

breaks-alot
12-06-2002, 07:04 PM
A great way to check your cdi is if you got a friend with the same quad as you. At the nationals when our bikes are running ****ty we always do everything we can think of and thats one of them is to switch cdi's with a buddy to see if thats the problem.

tkatka70
12-23-2002, 07:42 PM
its not the coil i checked the resistance today and that wasent it how do i check the cdi box

OutlawEX
12-23-2002, 08:11 PM
when i didnt have spark i knew it was the ignition coil...But i was wrong and i borrowed all my friends electronics and it was the CDI...but there is alot of electric to check with on the 400ex

tkatka70
12-25-2002, 09:36 AM
bump