PDA

View Full Version : Street Legal?

NikNacs67
07-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Stupid question but I just bought an '06 Klx 110 and got to thinking about throwin mirrors, lights, signals and a plate on it if I could make it street legal. Basically just use it to run around my small town. Not for sure how it works but I know mopeds are usually 50cc or more but anyone know if it's possible to make it legal for Illinois?

dirtbike&quad
07-25-2008, 01:05 PM
since im bored and waitin for my friend to come over:

"You'll need to carry a Class L driver's license to ride a moped or scooter, as long as the engine displacement is less than 150 cubic centimeters."

it doesnt mention anything about not legalizing a 110 on the road...call your state or local dmv and ask them what the deal is with hit

smr
07-25-2008, 01:33 PM
all depends on the state you live in.

In Ky this is how it works.

Any vechile with a motor of 50cc or less does not have to have a license plate or insurance, you must have a drivers license but you don't have to registor it. (most mopeds and spress are 49cc)

Now..if you have your titile for the KLX 110 then purchase the lights, signals, horn and mirrors. Take it to your local sheriff and have it inspected (this is how it works in ky). After you get it inspected you take it to your DMV (county clerk in ky) and get it registored for on road use.

If you don't have the title then things are much harder.

I recently just did this with a DRZ400 that I took on trade.

NikNacs67
07-25-2008, 01:51 PM
I do have a title but it's usually listed as "Off Road" so wouldn't you just pay a fee to have it swapped over to "On Road"? I will email the DMV and find at for sure I guess unless anyone here knows. The DMV people here are abunch of pieholes when yer on the phone.

fasterblaster09
07-25-2008, 02:01 PM
yeh I purchased a streetbike w/out a title and the dmv tryed telling me they couldnt give me one. I had to print out the laws and rights to show them and they gave me one. what im trying to say is the dmv's around here are f' n retarted and dont even know what they can/cant do.

smr
07-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by NikNacs67
I do have a title but it's usually listed as "Off Road" so wouldn't you just pay a fee to have it swapped over to "On Road"? I will email the DMV and find at for sure I guess unless anyone here knows. The DMV people here are abunch of pieholes when yer on the phone.

Like I said, each state is different. Ky doesn't specify offroad or onroad.

I do know if you can get it licensed in any state then all other states must reconize it.

ryansblaster
07-25-2008, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by NikNacs67
Stupid question but I just bought an '06 Klx 110 and got to thinking about throwin mirrors, lights, signals and a plate on it if I could make it street legal. Basically just use it to run around my small town. Not for sure how it works but I know mopeds are usually 50cc or more but anyone know if it's possible to make it legal for Illinois?

hey I live in Illinois to so if you find a way to do it please let me know I might have to do that too.

400exrider707
07-28-2008, 01:31 PM
A couple of my cheap buddies looked at doing this. You can buy a kit for the KLX110 to make it street legal, though the kit was still missing things needed in NY state. The biggest thing I see is getting DOT approved tires. YOu can get mirrors, blinkers, headlights, tail-light/brakelights but the tires? Also I know to legalize dirtbikes in a lot of places they need a steel gas tank, cant use plastic. Also I think the 4th gear shift drum would help immensely.

These 110's are made as street legal bikes with the 4th gear and electric start in japan. Why is it japan gets all the cool stuff?

ZSNOW
07-28-2008, 02:44 PM
i know for a fact u can set up a 50 for street use, because they're accually classified as a moped. idk about 110's tho...

and tires aren't an issue. most supermoto tires for the fiftys are D.O.T approved.

NikNacs67
07-28-2008, 05:07 PM
I know about tires and I will most likely do the 4th gear kit and a manual clutch but the fastest speed limit I will be on around town is 35 mph. I'm not lookin to rip around on it but a way to not put uneeded miles and horrible gas milage to my truck. I'd rather use the same amount of gas in the same distance on the bike when i'm having fun then sittin in my truck. But i'm callin the DMV tomorrow and let ya'll know.

titanium68
07-29-2008, 08:05 AM
Pitster Pro is making a street legal supermoto mini. I've seen a few up here in Washington.
https://www.madminismx.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=14&products_id=585

ZSNOW
07-29-2008, 08:52 AM
the guy that works at the dealership parts counter around here has a ttr50 thats set up just like that.