PDA

View Full Version : 06 tranny

QuadRacer18
07-25-2008, 10:20 AM
well yesterday i was at breezewood and my tranny locked up on me. We had to take the chain off to get it back to the trailer. Ive done topends and timing and i would say im a pretty good mechanic. Do you guys think i should be okay to do a tranny rebuild by myself? From the outside there appears to be no damage to the cases or anything. I drained the oil and found no signs of metal shavings. What are your opinions or any tricks to help me during the rebuild process. thanks

ALSO: The quad still starts and sounds good, so i know that it isnt a topend or connecting rod issue!

IMSROLL450R
07-25-2008, 03:51 PM
The 06 trannys are junk, mine did the same and I tore mine apart on the kitchen table. IF you have a manual and are mechanical minded I would go for it. Just take your time and pay attention to how everything came out. I would recommend checking the specs on every single piece of the tranny because if it was like mine, most of it is bad. If you buy new gears, have motoXperts or Rage mod them so it doesnt do this again. The problem comes from the gears not wanting to stay meshed. Good luck man.

QuadRacer18
07-25-2008, 05:34 PM
hey thanks man. How much did it cost for the gears, gaskets, etc? Did you have to replace the bearings? Also, when you took the cylinder off, did you remove the piston from the connecting rod or leave it connected. Just curious that way i can try and avoid new cerclips etc. thanks

bobbys9350
07-26-2008, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by IMSROLL450R
The 06 trannys are junk, mine did the same and I tore mine apart on the kitchen table. IF you have a manual and are mechanical minded I would go for it. Just take your time and pay attention to how everything came out. I would recommend checking the specs on every single piece of the tranny because if it was like mine, most of it is bad. If you buy new gears, have motoXperts or Rage mod them so it doesnt do this again. The problem comes from the gears not wanting to stay meshed. Good luck man. If you buy new gears, have motoXperts or Rage mod them so it doesnt do this again. The problem comes from the gears not wanting to stay meshed

EXCACTLY. Send the gears to moto experts. It doesn't cost very much. My '06 did the same thing because the teeth on all the gears rounded off. Send them the new gears and they will modify them for you. I had mine done when i rebuilt the tranny, When i tore it down last the gears looked BRAND NEW. It is definetly worth the money in the long run. TRUST me.

IMSROLL450R
07-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by QuadRacer18
hey thanks man. How much did it cost for the gears, gaskets, etc? Did you have to replace the bearings? Also, when you took the cylinder off, did you remove the piston from the connecting rod or leave it connected. Just curious that way i can try and avoid new cerclips etc. thanks

splitting the cases doesnt require you to pull the wrist pin.

My tranny ended up costing me about 600 bucks for everything and the work on the gears which is only 90 bucks if Toby does it. That doesnt include the price of splitting the cases if you have someone else do it. Most cost about 250 to have someone else split them. Just send your whole motor to Toby and let him inspect everything, I ended up doing that after I got mine apart and found more problems. I ended up having him P&P the head and freshen everything. THe bike shifts flawlessly now and absolutely rips......... At times this thing is hard to hang on to if it hooks up. He does good work and isnt overly priced. If you decide to do just the tranny, take the 2 clusters out and send them to him and he will inspect them, replace and cut whats needed and ship them back to you in a very timely manner. Also the good thing about Toby is you will never see him on these forums dogging other builders. His motors and work do his speaking......

Dave400ex
07-26-2008, 09:48 PM
I agree! Haven't had one issue out of my tranny with the Moto-Xperts tranny mod done!