PDA

View Full Version : Questions on the Leatte Brace

QuadJunkies
07-25-2008, 12:00 AM
As some of you already know ,our Daughter Kelsey took a nasty fall at a local MX and will be having surgery this upcoming Mon.
Shes pretty bummed missing her upcoming races ,but we are just so thankful she is OK.

We have been wanting to get out kids both the Leatte brace for abit now ,but finances have been very tough with my Husbands job loss this year ,we have had to really tighten the belt ...

A retired rider has offered my Daughter his brace if it will fit, but I have no clue how sizing is on them.
What size are alot of the kdis wearing?
Shes 14 and is small framed 5'6 -110 lbs.

Even though it might not fit her, I am really taken in by the rider who gave us the genorous offer.
Thats for suggestions! :)

03sp500
07-25-2008, 05:38 AM
If you go to the Leatt Brace website there is a video on fitment that may help. I am not sure but I think they fit a wide range of ages, we bought ours last year and it is supposed to fit him thru his teen years.
Hope it helps

raidernut
07-25-2008, 08:05 AM
Tina give me a call i will let you know what you need for the Leatt to work

QuadJunkies
07-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by raidernut
Tina give me a call i will let you know what you need for the Leatt to work

Thanks Mark,
We will be out of State this weekend,Brandons doing some test riding,but when we get home , Ill give you a buzz.
The brace is an adult Med.

03sp500
thanks for that info, much appreciated. :)

TTracer#22
07-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Mark sent you a PM clean out your mail box.

TEXWS6
07-25-2008, 09:41 AM
this will be the best thing you can EVER buy for racing....my wife HATED to see our daughter out on the track, but once we purchased a Leatt, she is 100% comfortable with her riding!

Kelly

QuadJunkies
07-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by TEXWS6
this will be the best thing you can EVER buy for racing !

Kelly

I have no doubt it is,its just tough this year to swing and with TWO competitive kids racing its even tougher . lol

TEXWS6
07-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
I have no doubt it is,its just tough this year to swing and with TWO competitive kids racing its even tougher . lol

I understand your financial concerns, my daughter is racing a hetrick and pro-fab TRX, and a 150 mod, it's tough keeping everything going!

How about them sharing one? I think Leatt recommends using the same size brace till the kids reach 16yrs old.

glntamu90
07-25-2008, 09:57 PM
The adult size will likely be too big. The good thing is that each brace comes with different size connectors and back pieces that can be switched out as they grow.

Try one on at a local MX shop and check out the adjustments, then order from
http://www.riderdown.org/ (http://www.riderdown.org)
Look in the RDF store for the braces. No shipping cost or tax, and any proceeds go to downed riders.

http://www.traylors.com/imx/race/08/beaum_june/brace.jpg

http://www.traylors.com/imx/race/08/beaum_june/45_med.jpg

QuadJunkies
07-25-2008, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by TEXWS6
I understand your financial concerns, my daughter is racing a hetrick and pro-fab TRX, and a 150 mod, it's tough keeping everything going!

How about them sharing one? I think Leatt recommends using the same size brace till the kids reach 16yrs old.
Thats a great idea!
Except they both share the same gate,dif class .lol :p

glntamu90-thanks for that info! :)
Do they work with all chest protectors and helmets also?

hotquads1
07-28-2008, 05:44 PM
the Small is recommended until the person exceeds 130-140 lbs .
the medium is up to 210 lbs. we keep them in stock with free shipping or we also have them with us at all of the ATVA national races .
marc

QuadJunkies
07-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks Marc :)
Looks like she will have to wait and get one in a small then.

JIM GRACE
07-28-2008, 06:48 PM
sorry to hear about your daughter, i hope everything goes well..
when brandon went to the 70 class it was the first thing i purchased..
and he has already put it to the test..throw a rockgarden jacket
on both of them for total protection:)

brandon's dad #55

QuadJunkies
07-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Thanks Jim,
Shes not doing so hot today... we may have to admit her in the hospital for more pain control for a few days,its been a very rough few hours at home since the surgery :scary:
Shes feeling where they had to drill and plate her Clavical. It was like going threw the break(only worse) this time around.

JIM GRACE
07-29-2008, 06:45 PM
ouch, well not only do we have 2 son's named brandon, but I have
had the same surgery as your daughter when i crashed my
ninja back in 94. i was in the hospital for a week after the surgery.
I can tell you that they had gave me so much medication for the pain,
that half the time i was a zombie. it is a very painful injury, i remember
looking forward to the surgery because i could not take the pain..i have 8 screws going through a plate
that i did not now about until i saw the xray and almost passed out.

but tell her to keep her chin high it will only get better with time and rehab
was a big help and restored almost full rage for my shoulder.

below you can see the scar on my shoulder it starts mid bicep and goes
over my shoulder. people always ask me about it and i tell them it was shark bite:blah: you should see there faces..

QuadJunkies
07-30-2008, 12:25 AM
YYOUCH!! :scary: How well did it heal up?
Heres her break.
We FINALY got her doped up enough to calm her at home so we lucked out not having to admit her again. The Doc said they usually do for these types of injuries, so I told her shes tougher than she thinks! ;)
Shes got a few more things to heal up, her shoulder were still not too sure about eyt and her knee is in a barce, go the stiches out of her face a few days ago so all is good there.

http://www.pbase.com/image/100568296/original.jpg

dblacks
07-30-2008, 06:55 AM
Drew broke his back on Memorial Day weekend after an awesome day of racing. He got on his bicycle and crashed. fortunatly it healed quickly and he actually didnt miss any NEATV races, it did alter our plans for some national events though.

Much different break though, bone formed in a ball around it and it is very strong, His shoulder and arm muscles still get sore as he had it in a sling for 3 weeks

http://imagetex.com/albums/userpics/10384/normal_Drew_Collarbone.jpg

QuadJunkies
07-30-2008, 10:11 AM
Poor kid! :(
MY Husband said that is one of the most painful breaks hes ever had.
Kelseys they wanted here in a plate because they was concerned it would puncture her lung.
Werew hpoing she will get in at least her last race of the season,but I dont want to rush her,its all in how she feels.

QuadJunkies
07-31-2008, 01:13 PM
Just a quic update , I posted in the other topic as well

Looks like my essesment was right...
He thinks she also broke her Shoulder Blade or chipped it.
Alot of the time those have to just heal on there own, but it might be also out of place,so the hump I was seeing was something afterall..
She goes back in in a week to have that X-rayed to make sure.
This freakin BLOWS!:(

JIM GRACE
07-31-2008, 04:38 PM
make sure she does alot of rehab, once everything is good to go.
they could not believe the range of motion that i had after about
a month after the surgery.. i would say it 's about 90% range of
movement and all my strength has been restored. but i was out
of work for several month's. this injury will take time to heal for sure..

brandon's dad #55

QuadJunkies
08-14-2008, 09:41 PM
we just arrived in Washington state for round 6 of the WORCS series..
Kelseys doing very well!
As much as her Dad and I have advised her, she is VERY stubborn, but a very determined young lady..
Shes racing this wk end if all goes well. She is hitting up practice tomorrow to see how she feels.
Even though she will most likely take dead last ,she wanted to be out there and feels she can handle it at snail pace,so I guess she will get her wish.
I think she will be 100% by next months honeylake race.
Im very shocked how fast shes healing up!:eek2:
I just hope she keeps her promise and takes it easy.:scary:

tntauto1127
01-20-2009, 08:51 AM
I know I am digging up an old thread, but how is your daughter doing? I found this thread because I was looking for info on the Leatt.

QuadJunkies
01-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by tntauto1127
I know I am digging up an old thread, but how is your daughter doing? I found this thread because I was looking for info on the Leatt.
She is doing good, thank you for asking . The only thing she is having issues with now is the hardware is giving her some trouble with the cold temps here,it makes her bone ache. It also rubs sore when she wears her Chest protector.
We have elected to have another surgery and take all the hardware out in the spring. Shouldnt take but a week of down time and in the log run she will feel better. Shes just bummin about the scar being made worse .:( It heeled very nicely though.

coryatver
01-20-2009, 10:50 AM
I have heard people with collar bone and shoulder problems shouldn't wear the leatte brace becuase that is where it puts all the force even in normally non injuring crashes. Its better than a broken neck but it might not be good if she already has messed up her collarbone

QuadJunkies
01-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
I have heard people with collar bone and shoulder problems shouldn't wear the leatte brace becuase that is where it puts all the force even in normally non injuring crashes. Its better than a broken neck but it might not be good if she already has messed up her collarbone
Ive been told that by a few people..But I have heard that MAYBE she could go ahead and try on the EVS one and see how it feels.One of our local Pros here recently sold his Leatte and says he prefers it over the Leatte for a few reasons,but said we could try his on to see how it feels before we buy one to find out that she cant wear it either.Ive never seen how they fit other riders or read UNBIAS test,like most things, we all have our own preferences in how something feels and fits.
So I read something before somewhere that the EVS is better for protecting Clavical breaks?? Why is that ,Im curious.

Ive never heard the preference go the other way so Ill be interested to check it out.

tntauto1127
01-20-2009, 12:20 PM
I would like to see an explanation also . The only difference I see that could substantiate the claim is the leatt is narrow where the EVS has a broader base kinda like shoulder pads. That would displace the impact more across the shoulders instead of on the collar bone. I have no proof but only an observation after looking at pictures of both.

QuadJunkies
01-20-2009, 12:28 PM
I wish I could spring both and do a review on both products. I think this would be a great review for riders to help them make there decision Having a few different riders in on the review riders could talk about the pros and Cons on each product,fit and feel and just a full overall on both products from riders who have tried both, not just something straight from the comapny itself. Ive heard alot of good and a few not so good on both.
I think this would be a realy informative tool in helping riders decide what might work best for them or at best maybe some unbias information to help someone in there final decision.
Maybe there is such a thing and I just havent seen it yet.

coffing918
01-20-2009, 02:09 PM
just this past october my lil borther nick #799 broke his sholder in a dirthbike accident, the impact of the crash actaully sheered the ball off of the top of his arm, , the dr. said that being he was only 11 that the mussle should take over and he wouldnt need the surgery , if he was 13 or 14 he would of deffently needed surgery, he now has the ok to race again and he has a leatte brace and he says that the fit is now somewhat unconfortable, as to what it was b4. he has regained full movement of his arm but the way he holds it still looks like he is still hurt, but he says he is feeling just fine

QuadJunkies
01-20-2009, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by coffing918
just this past october my lil borther nick #799 broke his sholder in a dirthbike accident, the impact of the crash actaully sheered the ball off of the top of his arm, , the dr. said that being he was only 11 that the mussle should take over and he wouldnt need the surgery , if he was 13 or 14 he would of deffently needed surgery, he now has the ok to race again and he has a leatte brace and he says that the fit is now somewhat unconfortable, as to what it was b4. he has regained full movement of his arm but the way he holds it still looks like he is still hurt, but he says he is feeling just fine

OMG.. that would hurt so bad!!:eek2: IVe had a compaund fracture and bugled two discs in my back, Ive been lucky and never broke my Clavical ,but I tell ya ... when my Daughter broke hers that bad I felt so bad for her :( I know when my Hubby broke his he was in pain for a month.