PDA

View Full Version : top end help.

justin1022
07-24-2008, 11:27 PM
i dont no what this is called but you no when your lining up the things on the side with the little round covers i was wondering what your suopst to check on for on the valvues YES I NO GET A BOOK FOR THAT i had one but i lost it also i was wondering if someone could give me a in depth explanation of how to strip my top end until i get the book i need t ocheck my valve seals anyone no how to do that?? and rings i no yu messare them. but can someone please tell me what i am supost to check for on the valves wile im lineing up the things on the side and on how to strip my top end i am getting a 440 kit and wil also buy the book at the same time so i wont have this trouble putting it back together. thanks.

gojk
07-25-2008, 12:06 AM
I am having a hard time following what you are trying to do.

If you are installing a cam you set the piston to TDC, alight the 2 marks on the cam with the top of the head, and then the third one should point up leaving the cam facing down.

If you are just adjusting the valves, rotate the engine over to TDC(designated by the F mark on the flywheel which you can see when you remove the caps on the left side engine cover.) Once you are at TDC take the 4 valve caps off off and grab each rocker arm and shake it a bit to make sure there is some slack in it. If it is tight, rotate the engine around a few times and line it back up to TDC and try the rocker arms again. If there is slack, get out your feeler gauges and adjust the valves accordingly.

justin1022
07-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by gojk
I am having a hard time following what you are trying to do.

If you are installing a cam you set the piston to TDC, alight the 2 marks on the cam with the top of the head, and then the third one should point up leaving the cam facing down.

If you are just adjusting the valves, rotate the engine over to TDC(designated by the F mark on the flywheel which you can see when you remove the caps on the left side engine cover.) Once you are at TDC take the 4 valve caps off off and grab each rocker arm and shake it a bit to make sure there is some slack in it. If it is tight, rotate the engine around a few times and line it back up to TDC and try the rocker arms again. If there is slack, get out your feeler gauges and adjust the valves accordingly.

k thanks i am way past that now i found my book last night!!! but now i was wondering about the easyest way to tell if my valve seals are shot? can i just dump water in the top and see if it leaks out?

gojk
07-25-2008, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by justin1022
k thanks i am way past that now i found my book last night!!! but now i was wondering about the easyest way to tell if my valve seals are shot? can i just dump water in the top and see if it leaks out?

Valve seals are on the top of the valves. Do you mean valve seats?

If you are worried about the valve seals, just buy new ones and forget it, they are like $.50 a piece.

If you want to test the valve seats, then you need to test with the head off of the cylinder.

Dump some kerosene in the ports and see if any seeps through over night. The reason I say to do this with the head off, is that I can't think of a way to get all of the kerosene back out before you crank it over and it just dumps it all in the cylinder.