PDA

View Full Version : how to get water out of 450r motor

Dirtbikinjason
07-24-2008, 11:04 PM
hey im new here and i am hoping it works last weekend i sunk my 2005 honda 450r in about 3-4ft of water i drained all the water out of the airbox n stuff the oil was really milky so i drained it and put new stuff in then it turned milky again i have ran about 4 gallons of oil through the motor trying different approaches such as running it filling it and letting it sit and letting it sit empty and the oil still comes out milky anyone who knows any way to get it all out would be a great help thanks a ton

08-02-2008, 12:23 AM
i sunk my old 250ex in some water. all i did was stand it up on the grab bar and it started running out so.....:o

deathman53
08-03-2008, 12:13 PM
next time you change the oil(make sure its warm), put gear oil in it. Run it for a few minutes after, drain the oil and do that again, replace the filter and use the oil you normally use. Something about the gear oil sucks up the water. I got a bunch of water in my crf450r motor, the oil came out how it should be in 3 changes with gear oil.

Nick110
08-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Drain all of the oil out and pour kerosene through it. Dont start it up or anything just pour it through. Once you do that a few times let it evaporate by having the caps and bolts out. Then fill it up with new oil.

John451
08-05-2008, 08:21 AM
aa i wouldnt try the kerosene.. that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Just leave the oil caps out and let it sit, take the plug out too, then just kick it over for a while, then try leaning it on the grab bar to see what pours out then wen you tip it back down it all has to pass the drain plug again.

John451
08-05-2008, 08:45 AM
oh, also, you migt wana drain the gas because its more than likely that you got water in the tank too so drain the gas out of the tank. Then if you find the oil overflow you can take the plastics off, get 4 saw horses (1 for each wheel) flip the whole quad upside down with the wheels on the saw horses and all the fluids in the engine will go out the overflow.

400exrider707
08-05-2008, 08:54 AM
The only way you're going to get it out is to keep changing that oil. Go to walmart and buy some of the el-cheapo 5-30 crap by the case and keep changing it. Cheap insurance. I'm not sure I'd use kerosene on a completely assembled motor as it may eat gaskets and seals.

Nick110
08-05-2008, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
The only way you're going to get it out is to keep changing that oil. Go to walmart and buy some of the el-cheapo 5-30 crap by the case and keep changing it. Cheap insurance. I'm not sure I'd use kerosene on a completely assembled motor as it may eat gaskets and seals.

After thinking about it too, Im not sure its a good idea. I saw people doing it at a mud race event type thing after they flooded their quads. So thats why I put it up.

John451
08-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Nick110
After thinking about it too, Im not sure its a good idea. I saw people doing it at a mud race event type thing after they flooded their quads. So thats why I put it up.

Ahah yea dont grind any gears ckhhhhhhh BOOOOM.

JBacon
08-12-2008, 07:50 PM
lol, Not a smart idea to plunge into about 4 foot water with a 450r. :eek2:

86 Quad R
08-20-2008, 02:42 PM
the kerosene trick actually isnt a bad idea..... water = heavier than oil. for it to work properly you need to fill the crank case up and let set for awhile. this will cause the standing water to settle in the bottom rather than cling to the innards.

John451
08-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
the kerosene trick actually isnt a bad idea..... water = heavier than oil. for it to work properly you need to fill the crank case up and let set for awhile. this will cause the standing water to settle in the bottom rather than cling to the innards.

Well seeing as oil is more oil than kerosene... wouldlnt it be better to use regular oil? lol

86 Quad R
09-02-2008, 06:53 AM
regular oil as opposed to the oil that should be put in there? regardless, oil is at least 3.00 a quart where as kerosene is about 2.80 a gallon. ;)

CJM
09-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Heavyweight gear oil would be best.

I would drain all the gas and replace with new and possibly put some seafoam in it (its a special engine gunk cleaner that actually works and WILL not damage anything. My truck and my old zuk 230 are living proof).

Then I would drain the oil and use heavyweight gear oil and run it for a minute, then change it like 10x. I wouldnt bother changing the filter till later, maybe taking it out and trying to get it kinda dry would be better.