PDA

View Full Version : Front wheels stuck!

Ihavtop
07-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Well I'm new to all of this so I'm trying to do my brakes. I have a 02 400ex I just got and I have tried and tried and I can't get the front rims off the hub. Any ideas of what the deal is?

brian76708
07-24-2008, 08:21 PM
what is stuck the lug nut if so try puting a long metal tube on the ratchet to get leverage

Ihavtop
07-24-2008, 08:24 PM
No sorry should of been more specific. I have the lug nuts off. The wheel is actually stuck to the hub it's self. Nothing is holding it on. It's weird the nuts were put on extremely tight I don't know what the deal is.

brian76708
07-24-2008, 08:26 PM
have you tried a sludge hammer (if so be very carefull because the rims are aluminum and they will bend ) how about try riding it very slowly and turning the wheel

Ihavtop
07-24-2008, 08:29 PM
I tried a hammer and a bar pressed onto the back of the wheel to try not to mess up the wheel. I also tried riding it to pop it loose. Won't budge at all. It's really pissing me off cause there should be no reason for this!

Ruby Soho
07-24-2008, 08:37 PM
mine were stuck once.

i put a breaker bar on it and a long pipe and broke them loose with all the leverage

Xsapper
07-24-2008, 08:40 PM
do you have a propane torch? you can try heating up the wheel where it's in contact with the hub ...that will usually pop it free as the aluminum expands

Ihavtop
07-24-2008, 08:42 PM
I have a mini hand held one. I might try that tomorrow. Thanks

chris46250r
07-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Do you have stock Honda wheels or aftermarket wheels?

Ihavtop
07-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Stock Honda wheels.

chris46250r
07-24-2008, 09:00 PM
I cant think of any reason that a stock Honda wheel would be stuck to the hub.

chris46250r
07-24-2008, 09:02 PM
What kind of lug nuts, flat or tappered?

Ihavtop
07-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Yeah I know. It sounds stupid but it is. I'm not sure if they have ever been off the ATV before it's a 02. The had a rounded edge to them that was toward the rim.

chris46250r
07-24-2008, 09:05 PM
You got me stumped.

bobkunkle
07-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Have you tried lifting the front end and dropping the quad at varying heights? (One side loose at a time)

Ruby Soho
07-25-2008, 08:49 AM
idk if i would do the heat idea.

i read it wrong last time. this has happened on my friends quads lots of times.

what we did was uuse a mallet or lead hammer and hit the stud, it should pop the wheel off. make sure its up in the air too.

chris46250r
07-25-2008, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
idk if i would do the heat idea.

i read it wrong last time. this has happened on my friends quads lots of times.

what we did was uuse a mallet or lead hammer and hit the stud, it should pop the wheel off. make sure its up in the air too.

There should be no need for this. Stock Honda wheels do not fit tight on the studs.

Ruby Soho
07-25-2008, 09:16 AM
its probly warped or something, theres nothing great about honda wheels..

chris46250r
07-25-2008, 10:10 AM
I still think its an aftermarket wheel considering he said he has rode it with all the lug nuts off.

REPOMAN
07-25-2008, 10:56 AM
the wheels are made of this thing called "aluminum" when the lug nuts are put on two tight this "aluminum" tends to warp, smash whatever you would like to call it as it seems to be a somewhat soft material. hence the reason it is stuck on the rim. doesnt matter if it is a stock honda wheel or aftermarket. its aluminum and soft. get a rubber mallet and hit the back of the rim or tire while spinning an elevated wheel and just beat it off. i have done it several times. yes in the start of my reply i was being an Äss

chris46250r
07-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by REPOMAN
the wheels are made of this thing called "aluminum" when the lug nuts are put on two tight this "aluminum" tends to warp, smash whatever you would like to call it as it seems to be a somewhat soft material. hence the reason it is stuck on the rim. doesnt matter if it is a stock honda wheel or aftermarket. its aluminum and soft. get a rubber mallet and hit the back of the rim or tire while spinning an elevated wheel and just beat it off. i have done it several times. yes in the start of my reply i was being an Äss

Well MrAss, if you have ever seen a stock Honda wheel with the steel insert it has for the tappered nut, your theory doesnt apply.

REPOMAN
07-25-2008, 12:08 PM
steal can bend to little fella. and so can the aluminum around the insert.

chris46250r
07-25-2008, 12:12 PM
steal can bend to little fella. and so can the aluminum around the insert.

No schit shirley.

REPOMAN
07-25-2008, 12:17 PM
guess i couldnt expect anymore from anyone in your state. grow up little boy

chris46250r
07-25-2008, 12:21 PM
guess i couldnt expect anymore from anyone in your state. grow up little boy

financial adjuster :o :o :o

REPOMAN
07-25-2008, 01:05 PM
dont be mad because you got proved wrong little lady. and yes i am a financial adjuster and i own the company as well. surely you could come up with something better:D . you probably work at mcdonalds if you could even get that after your "15 minutes of fame". and thats probably the best thing you will accomplish in your life.

mooseracerX
07-25-2008, 01:57 PM
That's really weird. My rear rims do that all the time. We usually hit it with a rubber mallet like Repoman said or we kick it off. I don't think heating it will work I've herd aluminum shrinks when it gets heated. :confused:

chris46250r
07-25-2008, 02:00 PM
I dont think I have been proved wrong on anything. Does calling guys "little ladies and little fellas" make you feel better about your choice of what to bang? If you are having to beat stock Honda wheels off with a hammer, your main problem is whats riding the fourwheeler.

rideracelivemx7
07-25-2008, 02:18 PM
i say put the thing in gear stand it up and pull it down on the front end as hard as you can lol, that might do it, if not, bet a blunt object and tap it at all points of the outer rim from the inside of the tire

mooseracerX
07-25-2008, 02:30 PM
^^^ haha I could just see that ending up breaking something.

rideracelivemx7
07-25-2008, 02:34 PM
haha nah mabey damage a thread if the rims fly off the wrong way lol do a couple test runs before you go all out and slam the bich down! lol

Ruby Soho
07-25-2008, 02:45 PM
something i thought of, take the hub off, and set it between 2 blocks of wood (or anything that you can put the wheel/tire on so the hub is floating) then put the lugs on the studs and tap each one little by little till it pops out..

Ihavtop
07-25-2008, 07:20 PM
Well looking at the wheels today. The hole in the wheel is completely surrounding the lug no gap at all. It looks like the guy who had it tightened it up so much that the wheel former around the lugs permanently I beat on the wheel with a rubber mallet for about 20 mins so I'm lost on ideas. The last idea about trying to pound out the lugs from the wheel is my next option. If that doesn't work I'm just going to cut the damn wheels away from the lugs and just buy new rims that are actually worth a ****. I found a set of lugs and full calipers on ebay I might just swap the whole damn unit since I need new rotors anyway. Thanks everyone for your help and I'll keep everyone informed.

mooseracerX
07-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Or maybe you could try beating the studs out of the hub that might work better than beating the wheel.

Ihavtop
07-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Well I got them off today. I ended up taking the whole hub off with tire and wheel and beating the studs out. The wheels are screwed. I'm getting new front wheels and hubs to make sure this doesn't happen again. With that said any ideas for a new set of wheels? I want something strong that isn't going to warp. I'm looking at spendign around 350 with tires for the front wheels alone.

Thanks Ruby Soho for the idea

mooseracerX
07-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Ihavtop
Well I got them off today. I ended up taking the whole hub off with tire and wheel and beating the studs out. The wheels are screwed. I'm getting new front wheels and hubs to make sure this doesn't happen again. With that said any ideas for a new set of wheels? I want something strong that isn't going to warp. I'm looking at spendign around 350 with tires for the front wheels alone.

Depending how strong of wheel you want DWT makes probably one of the best for the price. Only about $35 apiece depending on which thickness you get.

rdstoner
07-26-2008, 06:18 PM
you could go ahead and buy some itp c-series they are like $173 or so from motosport and they look good to then you could choose your tires it is cheaper to get them in a bundle from motosport and its free shipping.

Ruby Soho
07-26-2008, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Ihavtop

glad i could help;)

as for strong wheels, the douglas .190's are pretty solid. you could also go the route of used hipers + tires. the hipers are CF so they'll never warp.