PDA

View Full Version : 400ex swingarm bolt

mx8
07-24-2008, 07:01 PM
About a year ago my 2003 400EX swingarm bolt froze up, most of us know how hard they are to get out HOURS OF WORK. Well anyways i put a grease fitting on each side, drilled two very very small holes on each end of the swingarm bolt where the spacers fit over the bolt. And one hole in the middle of the bolt where it goes thru the motor. Well the holes on the far ends of the bolt worked great, the bolt never froze up again. But the hole in the middle made my swingarm bolt break the other day. Just wanted to let anyone who was thinking of doing this that it works great, but i would not recomend drilling a hole in the middle of the bolt.
The holes were only about 1/16'' i never thought it would effect it that much that it would break.

Def-e-nition
07-25-2008, 10:51 PM
Ai Carrummba .....

rideracelivemx7
07-25-2008, 11:39 PM
oh wow that sucks dude, thanks for the heads up, i was actually going to do that soon lol

hornetgod13
07-26-2008, 03:11 AM
Did you modify a stock bolt? I've seen them for sale on Ebay. I had a feeling that drilling a stock bolt would seriously weaken it. Maybe a hollow stainless steal bolt with grease fittings is the way to go.

I opted for no grease fittings and a solid stainless steal bolt with liberal amounts of anti sieze compound. So far, so good.

mx8
07-26-2008, 08:10 AM
Yes I drilled the holes in a stock swingarm bolt. The ones on the ends were ok, the one in the middle was the mistake.