PDA

View Full Version : 04 predator

justin0158
07-24-2008, 06:16 PM
I HAVE A 04 POLARIS PREDATOR THE BIKE IS IN GOOD SHAPE I HAVE DONE SOME WORK TO IT AND NOW ITS RUNNING BETTER BUT SOME TIME I GET A MISS AND IT WILL SHUT OFF I WILL TRY TO CRANK IT BACK UP AND IT WILL DO SO WRITE AWAY IT WILL IDEL FOR SOME TIME AND IT WILL CUT OFF AGAIN DOSE ANYONE HAVE A CLUE ON WHAT IT CAN BE

Outlaw 50
07-26-2008, 07:10 AM
If the idle is set too low it will stall, if the sensor in the thumb throttle is set improperly it will stall, if the valves need to be adjusted it will stall...

justin0158
07-26-2008, 08:14 AM
i have adj the thumb and the idel and have checked the valves gap and there good and also, i have even checked the compretion and it's good for a 2004 what next

XSR03Preddy
07-31-2008, 09:24 PM
I have heard of some problems out of the fuel pump. Mainly if they sit for awhile, without running. It's located at the front, near the headlights. I believe you can take them apart, and clean them. I have also seen the low pressure electric pumps used in it's place. Also make sure the battery has a good charge!

Outlaw 50
08-01-2008, 05:34 AM
Have you checked to see if the fuel pump is putting out enough fuel? Once the quad is running past idle does it seem to run ok if you don't let off the throttle?

If so then it would stand to reason that the fuel pump is working...if not then you might need to pull the pump apart and clean it out. You also need to check all the hoses attached to the pump for leaks.

If all the above things check out the next place to look is the carb. I would first check the choke/enricher circuit to see if it is clean and not hanging up in the circuit. Follow your cable down to the carb and unscrew the brass nut and carefully remove the assembly.

Spray the entire assembly end and the hole it goes into and reassemble it. See if that makes the quad run at idle, if not then keep going to the carb.

If the float/fuel bowl still has brass screws on it you need to be really careful when removing them. I use a hand impact driver since it is the only way I have found to get them out without stripping them.

Most people replace them with stainless steel allen head screws.

After you get the fuel bowl open you carefully remove the jets and spray them out with carb cleaner and air pressure. After all the jets are cleaned and the carb is reassembled the quad should run better.

Pay special attention to the pilot jet since this is the circuit that is being used when the engine is at low rpms.

justin0158
08-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Thank you for the info, both of you. i found out that it was two thing's that was causing this issue. one of them was the two main jet's where dirty and the other one was the ignition switch was nasty inside and it was cuting off with the vibration of the bike. thank you again. it is now running awsome so good that i have put my bike thru about three and a half feet of water and it will keep on going.

XSR03Preddy
08-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Ahh, yes the good ole' ignition switch connection. I have that problem every now and then. Mine usually backfires when it would break connection.