PDA

View Full Version : Break in....

300exryder
12-04-2002, 06:46 PM
Im getting a new piston installed this weekend and was wondering what kind of breakin do i have to do, if any, before i go riding? Someone i know was saying that i should ride 1/2 throttle for like 10 mins , let it cool and do this 3 or 4 times. Then just take it easy for a half hour or so and i will be all set.

I just wanted to get a real opinion from the people that know. Thanks for any help,
Alex

Sparks425Ex
12-04-2002, 06:59 PM
Do a search. I remember seeing a huge thread on this a while back with alot of good information.

Ryan
12-04-2002, 07:22 PM
I had it done in my quad. What you have to do is...

First, start it up and don't rev it high
second, let the engine warm and then shut it down
third, wait untill the engine is cold again before starting it again.
next (screw it) start it back up and let it run longer this time.
next, shut it off and do the same process
next, start it up again and wait untill its warm
next, start riding it for tens minutes in low rpms (less then half throttle)
next, after ten minutes is up just stay easy on her but you can start to rev her up higher.
finally, Have fun!

That might be over doing it but that would be perfect for breaking in a new piston. I hoped this helped.

Houser Cannondale
12-04-2002, 07:53 PM
if you install a camshaft there is also a special initial break-in for that too. you have to run it at a fast idle. about 2000 rpm for 10-15 minutes to break the camshaft in. you dont ride the bike to do this so i recommend you cool the bike with a fan or you will just burn up the new motor you rebuilt.

RytM1
12-04-2002, 09:18 PM
DON"T FORGET to CHANGE THE OIL after your "break-in" period.

eldoexrider01
12-04-2002, 09:24 PM
on my cam it said no less than half throttle for soo long cuz the engine pumps enough oil up to the cam at that rpm.

4TraxRider
12-05-2002, 06:07 AM
i ran a tank through on a nice easy trail ride and then put the hammer down. It worked fine on the new rings i did last month.

Houser Cannondale
12-05-2002, 06:32 AM
yes you should not run past half throttle and not at a high rpm. plus if you install a cam you have to do the initial break in when you first put it in so the cam isnt wiped. so basically for the first 15-20 minutes you dont ride it and dont let it idle... just put a fan infront of it if it is air cooled and run it at a fast idle