PDA

View Full Version : ow.. its all fun til someone loses an eye.

<DRS>GPF
07-24-2008, 04:42 PM
if i could remember what i did wrong, i wouldnt do it again.

i was riding last sunday and had a bit of fire to burn out.. id been airing out the skids and pretty much raising 7734.. my son wasnt in the mood to keep up, so he went off with a friend and i went for bigger dirtpiles, like a 100ft hill with a wide open field to land in.

all i remember was hitting the hill in high 4th or low 5th and got alot more air than i was ready for.

i remember thinking 'this is gonna be bad'.. then void

the next thing i know, im looking up from the ground, laying in the grass about 100ft or so from the hill(gonna go check sometime) and i couldnt hear a thing. then void

i vaguely remember kicking the bars back up into a ridable position, adjusting the levers etc.. then void

magically i was back at the truck(bout a 1/2mile or so) waiting for my son come around and help me load. then void

then i remember almost driving past the exit to my town, when id meant to go to a friends just down the road from the park. then void

i parked in the yard and left the truck running while i washed my back off to survey the damage. then void

my next memory was taking a shower and asking for asprin.

then i woke up later with a nurse friend of mine talking to me and really laying into me, along with the wife for not going to the emergency room.
absolutely hating hospitals, i waited until wednesday to go, then went again today.. i grew up in a household of ambulance workers(EMT's) and have alot of medically related friends.. so i had a "better than some" excuse.

anyway, from what ive pieced together from evidence and vague memories, i came down and faceplanted the bars.. smashing the goggles lense into the bridge of my nose, then rag-dolled off into the tall grass.
down and out.. KO'd.. i have no idea for how long, but i think i was actually dreaming about another time riding.

strange, but somehow i outdistanced the quad..
i remember looking at the quad and then noting that it was closer to the truck than i was... what a wierd thing to think of.

theres a goggle shaped bruise on the left side of my nose and i had an arc shaped bruise across my upper back/lower neck shaped like the helmet.
i also have a pretty good patch of skin missing from my lower left hip and some from my upper arm.

the aftermath is/was blood in the urine til mid monday and a fever til tuesday. i couldnt read a paragraph on a white background or stand outside in the sun without getting sick until today. also my left shoulder and left hip are bruising up a bit.

they gave me vicodin and it still hurts like.. well you know.

aside of the bent handlebars, the quad seems completely unharmed..
i really think the only damage was from me slamming into it, but i really havent given it any attention since it all happened.

i really got my "bell rung" hard.. i feel about 90% of normal and getting better.
the wife is relieved im going to be OK, but is really PO'd at me for being off by myself.

ronrdrcr
07-28-2008, 01:38 AM
Glad to hear you're doing ok considering, could have been a whole lot worse.

Ron

Scro
07-28-2008, 07:07 AM
After reading that, I'd say you need to take another vicodin and go to bed. Glad to hear your alright.

<DRS>GPF
07-28-2008, 11:50 AM
thanks.
i am feeling much better, i might even be out this weekend with my son..
nothing aggressive, just to check for damage and tweaking the controls back into shape etc.
i was wanting to get out to the "scene of the crime".. maybe see what went wrong.

i did find a peculiar "ding" in my front left, inside rim. theres also a corresponding mark along the tire leading up to the ding.(couldve easily been there before though)

bars are definitely bent, maybe the stem too. seems like ill spend about $150 per year on bars/stems and luckily nothing else. mostly from hill climbing incidents.. rarely anything with real speed though.