PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a hotter cam than an XR with a stock bore/piston?

RAPTORAZ
12-04-2002, 06:43 PM
I'm currently using an XR cam in my stock bore/pistoned 400EX. I'm looking for a little bit more mid and top. I know stuffing an agressive cam in a low compression motor tends to make the motor lose some bottom end. But I'd gladly trade some bottom end torque for some top end horsepower. I'll probably go for a bigger bore/high compression piston later on. But for now, I don't want the added expense. I'm thinking of using a Hot Cam stage 2. Anyone have any experiences of this combo? Or a similar one? Maybe some comparison cam specs between various cams?

GoLikeHell
12-04-2002, 06:49 PM
Get a stock bore 11-1 piston and a hotcams 2, you wont be dissapointed.

Mark

RAPTORAZ
12-04-2002, 06:53 PM
I'm sure that's the case. However that wasn't what I asked. When I eventually do a big bore, I'll go the full meal-deal. Carb, cam, port-n-polish, clutch, and race pipe. For now, all that is not in the budget.

KAWSAM62
12-05-2002, 06:41 AM
how does the xr 400 cam run in the stk bore comp 400ex i was thinking about doing that very mod before id go to a hicomp 416 kit budget reasons of cource:confused:

KAWSAM62
12-05-2002, 06:46 AM
also hows that power bomb header tx:cool:

RAPTORAZ
12-05-2002, 07:49 PM
I noticed a little bit of a gain in the mid and top with the XR cam. I wish I would've investigated the XR cam a little more before I did it. As the specs between it and the stock EX cam are minimal. I didn't notice any improvement with the addition of the Powerbomb. I'm going back to the stock header(with the welds completely removed) this weekend. I hope that will show a little improvement.

12-06-2002, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by RAPTORAZ
I didn't notice any improvement with the addition of the Powerbomb.

Jetting must be off, myself and several others all noticed a HP increase with the powerbong addition. At first It wasn't showing any power increase..after changing out the pilot jet and adjusting the fuel screw I could defintitly tell a difference..

RAPTORAZ
12-06-2002, 04:21 PM
My jetting is spot on. I think the power difference you noticed was mostly psychological. As I've never seen any dyno charts that said the Powerbomb was worth more than .5 to .8 horsepower. I got mine used from a friend for cheap. He had also noticed no difference in performance from the stock header on his 440 equipped EX. He did however notice a huge difference in performance after he went to a Sparks X-6. That's probably the route I'll be going as well. As soon as my engine mods are done.