PDA

View Full Version : Just got a 400ex!

Yippie-Ki-Yay
07-24-2008, 10:16 AM
Well, last night my dad said he bought a new lawn mower, and said that was the reason he was late, well turns out he bought a 400ex! I have been working for 2 years saving up money to help buy one, and we went 50/50 on the price. Anyway, does anyone have any advice, or anything. I already Wrapped the tool box thing in some electrical tape because i heard the cap falls off easily, and now its secure. I havnt gotten to ride it yet because its been raining, its killing me!

Figured id post a picture:p

powermadd400ex
07-24-2008, 10:22 AM
haha awesome, becareful comin from the 250ex to the 4hundy is bigg step up. so are u gunna modifiy it or are u gunna keep it basically stock?

Yippie-Ki-Yay
07-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Well, im broke right now, but when i get more money im probably going to do visual upgrades first. Compared to a 250, this thing needs no performance upgrades yet. Im going to be taking it real easy for the first few weeks getting used to this thing.

powermadd400ex
07-24-2008, 10:34 AM
ha! thats i wat i saidwhen i first got mine but after a couple weeks of ridin it and gettin used to it. you'll wanna throw a pipe on there, and a airfilter, then some jets. and if you do any mx ur gunna want some better supension.
wat kinda riding do u do? trails?

Ruby Soho
07-24-2008, 11:22 AM
lookin good man

if i were you id save your money instead of buying visuals.. i came off a stock corked dinli 90 to a 440, and i wanted power after about 2 months.

save yourself the hassle and save it all to buy parts that make a big difference, id do shocks personally

rdstoner
07-24-2008, 12:44 PM
ya i agree you should save your money and but the performance stuff first nothin is better than makin people think its stock by the way it looks and then blow by them as loud as can be. i said mine would be stock for a while and i rode it twice then bought a pipe and air filter. this next week is going to be the timing advance for MORE POWER.:D

loves2spooge
07-24-2008, 01:05 PM
nice man lol. sucks that it rained. i bet u wanted to set up a sleeping bag next to it lol.

Yippie-Ki-Yay
07-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Yea, its parked in the shed and for the past few hours ive been sitting on it watching the rain...I ride on some tight trails, some fast trails, and i have 10 acres of open field i also ride on. The reason im not going to buy anything for it for a while is because i have to work to get more money.

Yippie-Ki-Yay
07-24-2008, 02:21 PM
Im having alot of trouble getting the rear fenders back on, could someone give me some tips on getting it on better without scratching the black plastic on the side. Pictures would be great also!

Dangerous400EX
07-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Just remember the quad is half your dad's, and he might not appreciate a loud muffler and stiff mx suspension. I have a new '07 400ex that has not bored me yet with the power, but I did order a smaller front sprocket today to make the quad more manageable in the tight trails I ride.

Eventually I will probably jet up (before winter) and thats about it. I like the way the quad sounds stock, but then again I am old (30) lol.

Ruby Soho
07-24-2008, 02:27 PM
theres really no right way of doing it, just wiggle it on some how.

i take back what i said before, save up and buy nerf bars. those are probly the best mod you can get. it sucks getting your ankle run over.

another cool mod is 450r pegs and if you can weld, get 2 pairs and double them up. cheap and awesome upgrade

07-24-2008, 09:35 PM
ha thats wierd when i picked up my 400 it was raining to

anyways i found a gasket laying around my garage and put tht on the inside of my tool kit cap and it satys right on try that if you get a chance

Honda#4
07-25-2008, 06:45 AM
Quad looks great, have fun and be careful.

Yippie-Ki-Yay
07-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the comments guys! The rain stopped and i got a chance to ride it, WOW! My clutching still isnt great, and i kill it on takeoff occasionally, but overall i love it! It was muddy but i didnt care, and i washed it good afterward.

Honda#4
07-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Before I had my 400 I came off of a polaris magnum and it took me a week or so to learn to clutch but it wasnt bad. Just keep on trying and you'll get it.

If you buy a ez-pull clutch perch you wont have to pull in the clutch lever so far, makes clutching a bit easier I think.

Yippie-Ki-Yay
07-25-2008, 11:36 AM
I can clutch fine once i am driving, its just when i take off i dont give it enough gas...Its a strange habbit.

powermadd400ex
07-25-2008, 12:15 PM
after awhile you'll become familiar with how much gas you need to get her goin. you'll learn were the sweetspot is and it'll become 2nd nature. affter a week of praticing you should be jus fine.

Ruby Soho
07-25-2008, 02:55 PM
when i first started on mine with clutch i had the same problem, could do it fine when riding but taking off id give it to much and spin the tires usually:o

youll get it in a few more rides its really simple

Yippie-Ki-Yay
07-25-2008, 03:24 PM
My neighbor bought his kid, whos in first grade, a new 250ex a few months ago, and the kid saw me riding wheelies and saw me do a bicycle, and now the kid is trying to do everything i did. If i knew the kid was watching me i would of drove slow. Hes scaring me as i can see him out of my room window driving in circles really fast and trying to ride wheelies.

Ruby Soho
07-25-2008, 04:29 PM
id go over there and tell his father to be careful with what he lets his son do on the quad. he could get hurt, mine as well try and prevent that

HondaRaceReady
07-25-2008, 11:00 PM
So how do you like your new bike? I had the exact same thing, a brand new 07, but I got bored of it and traded it and $3100 for a 450r. If I just wouldve bought the 450r from the start I would have been able to really build it up.

Yippie-Ki-Yay
07-26-2008, 12:58 PM
I love the 400ex! I havnt taken it through my tight trails yet, some of them are barely wide enough for my 250 so im gonna have to do some cutting.