PDA

View Full Version : spraypainting a arms

yfzrider310
07-24-2008, 08:28 AM
I recently broke my a arms so now I got stock ones coming. They are blue so it kinda wrecks my black/yellow color scheme. I just bought one can of primer, gloss black with rust protection, normal gloss black, and gloss clear coat. If I do that paint in that order with two coats of clear do you guys think it will hold up to the every day riding and a little harescramble racing? Also do you think it would look better with a not so glossy clear coat. I did this to my bike crank and looks good and is holding up well. Thanks for any opinions.

csr250r
07-24-2008, 08:50 AM
It will get all scuffed and rubb off when you get into some grass probably.

XCRacer236
07-24-2008, 10:23 PM
i dont see how it would hold up in the woods. mx maybe. i would just spend the extra little money, have them PC'd. it will look a lot cleaner also.

Dr89
07-28-2008, 08:27 AM
i used black bed liner on my lower a arms and my swinger and it looks pretty sick....has held up incredibly well for over a month now. all i ride is trails...its held up through two riding parks already, one was INSANELY rocky and rough, the other one had lots of gravel and tall grass.

if you need gloss black to match, i would use the bed liner, then spray over it with gloss black, it would provide a great surface for the paint to stick to and you might get that wrinkle powder coat look going, i dunno test it out on somethin.

p.s. the bed liner goes straight on to the bare metal, no primers, no clear. just prep good, rough sandpaper since the bed liner is so thick. people greatly underestimate spray paint, when done right it can save you a ton of money.

heres a dirtbike frame i did with rustoleum and the swinger is done with that bedliner.

yfzrider310
07-28-2008, 05:16 PM
I might just leave them because powdercoating something I dont need. I will probably end up selling them next year anyways and get some motocross style ones. Thanks for the input guy. Also how is that frame holding up dr89?

Dr89
07-28-2008, 09:33 PM
haha haven't got to ride it yet still working out a transmission issue, but i've done other projects and always use rustoleum primer, paint, and clear and things hold up incredibly well. just a few thin layers with proper prepping; and spray paint will do the job. :macho