PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance Tips Needed

jbelia
07-23-2008, 07:17 PM
I have an 88 Trax 205R that has only been ridden about 8 times in the last 10 years. It runs great, but I'm looking to sell it to buy a dirt bike.

Since I have had it, I have only done the most basic of maintenance, drain and replace engine oil. Accoasinally, I hit the grease fittings with a grease gun. Other than that nothing. Mainly, because it runs fine without any extra maintenance and always starts up no problem.

So, my question is: Can anybody recommend a maintenance strategy that I should follow to get it in shape to sell. Should I be thinking about replacing hoses, fluids, etc.? How about taking apart all the working parts and lubing the bearings and bushings?

I'm just wondering if all of the extra effort would be worth the additional cash I might get when I sell it.

Any tips or advice is appreciated.
Thanks!

gandgracing
07-24-2008, 12:31 AM
Change the oil, clean the filter and carb then give it a good cleaning. As far as the hoses, if there not leaking dont worry about it.

norcalduner
07-24-2008, 12:57 AM
This is in addition to the above mentioned.

Drain and fill coolant.
Flush brake fluid.
Replace spark plug.
Inspect and/or adjust chain tension.

Good luck on the sale. I hope you wont regret it :( .

atvmxr
07-24-2008, 08:19 AM
where are you located??

:devil:

deathman53
07-24-2008, 04:02 PM
try to take the swingarm bolt out, if it don't, don't mushroom the threads and mess up the bolt, put the nut back back and be done. If its seized, it will be a nightmare when you have to re-do the swingarm bearings.