PDA

View Full Version : What are the hard parts?

400exrapes
07-23-2008, 04:34 PM
This winter I would hopefully like to tear down the quad and get new plastics, get the frame powdercoated and I would like to know what the hard parts of the tear down are? I would think electrical is the hardest to make sure you re-wire everything correctly. What pointers can you all give me?

Doober
07-23-2008, 04:41 PM
label EVERYTHING, as for electrical just as you disconnect connectors put some masking tape on it and label each side of the connector"A" or "1" and move down the list as you go.

07-23-2008, 04:57 PM
yes label everything and if you have to make a diagram or use cardboard to stick the bolts through or whatever else so you can just look at the cardboard diagram and take each bolt and know exactly where it goes ziplocks are your friend lol

07-23-2008, 05:00 PM
The connector are all color coated. You can't screw that part up. Take lots pictures , they help alot. I used zip lock baggies, each part I took off I put the nuts and bolts in a baggie and labeld it "bumer, grab bar, coil" and so on. It made reassemble alot easier.

d3ktrix
07-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Separate / Label the bolts is really the only thing you have to worry about.
That and remember how the wires are routed.

Like said above all the connectors are color coded.

400exrapes
07-23-2008, 09:52 PM
yeah I planned on the ziplock bags and stuff, my swingarm pivot bolt is nowhere near seized because the screw came off while riding once and i noticed it and i could hammer the pivot bolt in and out like nothing so thats a good part clear.

pro-rider46
07-23-2008, 10:37 PM
one thing i remember was routing the carb cables, and i never did get that routed right, and when i turned my bars to the right, it would rev just slighty. lol.

Modifly
07-24-2008, 05:29 AM
Make sure you have a clear work surface before you start, clean bike.. label bolts & parts. Never leave a job half done and say you will go back to it...

Its easy.. just use common sence and you wont go far wrong! :)

laeger2fiddyr
07-24-2008, 05:48 AM
I used sandwich baggies to put all the bolts in & then label them, so your not looking for them when it comes time to put it back together! take your time and dont be in a hurry! also if you want take pics of your wiring if you cant remember how it goes back together! rebuilds are just as much fun as riding I think!!!!!!!!!!:)

400exrider707
07-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
one thing i remember was routing the carb cables, and i never did get that routed right, and when i turned my bars to the right, it would rev just slighty. lol.

Thats usually hotstart cable being overstretched from tall handlebars just FYI.

400exrapes
07-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by laeger2fiddyr
I used sandwich baggies to put all the bolts in & then label them, so your not looking for them when it comes time to put it back together! take your time and dont be in a hurry! also if you want take pics of your wiring if you cant remember how it goes back together! rebuilds are just as much fun as riding I think!!!!!!!!!!:)

yeah i think the rebuild will be alot of fun, I like learning, and I'll enjoy an awesome looking quad when I'm done. PEP LT's are being ordered tomorow or monday with axle and +2.5 arms soon.

450r24
07-25-2008, 09:02 AM
if your ripping your wheeler apart this winter just make sure you have most your upgrades ready to install try not to make it a 5 month wait cause your more likely to loose parts. that's my story tho lol

Modifly
07-26-2008, 11:47 AM
yeh that sucks

have your powdercoaters ready, have all your new bearings and engine parts on to overhaul it.. its annoying sitting around waiting for things to be done..

i rebuild my 3 every week with new parts and i love it.. you feel you know alot more about the machine your riding when you know it from the frame up and really helps with your riding.

enjoy and learn :)