PDA

View Full Version : Outlaw 525 IRS Help

Alias99
07-23-2008, 01:46 PM
Well i have about 6 hours on my 08 outlaw 525. I did the oil change after 3 hours, switching it to bel ray thumper oil.

The problem is that when i give it the gas it delays and sputters and when i let of the throttle it back fires, sputters etc... So i went on the forums and found out that the jetting from the factory is lean so i thught that switching to a K&N airfilter would help but it didnt it remained the same.

Since my quad was under warranty i took it to the dealer and he said that the valves need to be adjusted. They said that it was the two intake valves that needed adjusted. so $50 dollars later the problem is still there when i took it out for a ride.

Another problem i was starting to notice was that when i would be riding in 5th gear at a constant rpm my engine would start to sputter so i let off and then it would just die and wouldnt start for like another 20 min :(. But it would only do this when the engine got warm after riding for a half hour or so.

SO once again i contacted my dealer and he said that it is because my engine is over heating and the atv shuts down until it gets cool again but my fan wasnt even on. I dont know could be... He said to check the coolant, which was fine and make sure ur radiator wasnt plugged with mud which it wasnt. He also said that the backfiring which was still occuring is a jetting problem but it would void my warranty.

Well there my long story lol i was thinking about just getting a jet kit for it but i thought that when you bought a brand new atv it was supposed to run well when you got it and not have to sink even more money into it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

outlawjeff
07-23-2008, 02:22 PM
yes but the 525 is very lean from the factory, you should get a jd jet kit and replace your jets. Another thing that you can check is the throtle adjustment screw under a rubber boot on the cable that comes into the thumb throtle. you should have a little play in your throtle. also check and make sure the nut for it is tight or your bike will stall out and not run right. this is a safty thing so you cant have your throtle stuck wide open. I am running a 165 main and 3 turns out on the air screw with a k&n and ct racing full exaust and mine runs great.

sheriff525
07-23-2008, 05:21 PM
These bikes run lean like others have said. Me and my brothers have 4 of these bikes and mine still backfires after jetting. It is sometimes due to air getting into the header pipe or rather a leak in the header pipe. When it doesn't fully seal it will creat a back fire.

Get a CT pipe and header, a jet kit (jetted correctly) and the backfire should be gone.

I have come to terms with the backfire. I think it is cool. It only happens when i have to lean out my air mixture screw now. I got an aftermarket screw and it sucks. It has come out 3 times while riding. I can always tell it is coming out because my bike backfires.

With your mixture screw the farther out you turn the leaner it goes.

Good luck!

also visit the CT racing website and they have a list of top 10 things to do to make your outlaw better.

If you having an issue with overheating, take out the thermostat. I don't agree with what your dealer told you that the bike shuts off when too hot. That is serious bs.

Should run better after bypassing the termostat, adjusting the throttle cable, new pipe and jets. Your machine will be wild!
Throttle on!

sheriff525
07-23-2008, 05:26 PM
http://www.ctracing.com/new_page_2.htm

Here is the shortcut.

montycarlo
07-23-2008, 05:41 PM
The K&N filter probably made it even a shade leaner and compounded the problem slightly. If I was you I would also deal with a different dealer. Yours seems to be confused on what makes 'em run good!

willb
07-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Check the throttle cable under the boat like they said above. I had the same thing and mine is jetted for my area.

It did evrything that you said, I pulled over and was checking things out. pulled back the boot, adjusted and tightened the lock ring and away we went.

I cant explain why but it fixed it....

marshviewripper
07-23-2008, 07:54 PM
check the intake boot and the air filter boot. my intake boot that clamps to the motor was cracked in three places causing a dramatic air leak.so bad that my bike quit running. this after only a week of owning it.

sleddog66
07-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Do not remove your t-stat! The antifreeze needs enough time in the radiator for the cooling process to work. Removing the t-stat will make the coolent flow through the radiator too fast and actually run hotter. As far as you drivability, the above info is good.....check the throttle safty switch, and get the bike jetted. I think I would use a different dealer if you are not capable of this yourself.

Alias99
07-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Thx for all the help guyz im gunna get a JD jet kit and test all this stuff out and let u know how it worked

Alias99
08-03-2008, 09:43 AM
Well my appointent to drop my atv off is tomorrow but i think i might have found out was it was shutting off when i was going a constant speed and wouldnt start for sevral min. I think what is happing is my fuel float is sticking and once i use up all the gas in the carb it dies and has to refill the carb. Let me know what you guyz think.

OutlawBill
08-04-2008, 08:07 AM
mine acted all most the same way. When I was going a long at a steady pace and let off the gas instance stall and would have to wait 3 to 5 minutes too restart. I found out it was my slow air jet circuit was too lean. I changed the slow air too a 80 (stock 100) pilot jet 50 (stock 45) added R&D Power Pump reduce the AP gap no more problems.