PDA

View Full Version : Gearing help.

csr250r
07-23-2008, 08:05 AM
Hey i got an 04 yfz and i want to gear it different for mx im running 20's on the rear all it has for motor mods is a pipe. what should i gear it for good starts and all around mx?

Dr89
07-23-2008, 08:25 AM
for starters 18's would be more beneficial, otherwise a 12 tooth front sprocket or one size bigger on the rear would be a noticeable difference.

florentino
10-24-2008, 06:39 PM
with 18 inch tires and take off in 2nd gear with 20 i go stock. its all about what track. and also with my set up you dont overrev too much. and it coners beter cause its more smoot like a 4 stroke and thats why 2 strocks suck on turns

Toadz400
10-25-2008, 11:57 PM
First off, do you have a problem with your gearing as it sits? Don't change your gearing if it's working good for you. Are the tracks you ride more wide open or tight? What gear do you usually run them in now? It's best to be able to reduce shifting as much as possible to reduce fatigue.

Personally running MX with 18's is a lot better than 20's. The stock gearing is perfect for MX with 18's in the rear. If you're stuck with 20's I would either go up two teeth in the rear or drop a tooth in the front.

csr250r
10-26-2008, 09:40 AM
I went up two teeth in the rear while i have these 20s, i raced 3 places this summer and one of those tracks closed up for racing and the other one only held 1 race and that was a tight track i ended up winning that one, but the main places i raced on is really fast wide open and i was getting into 5th so maybe i have to gear it for the different tracks i race on.

Toadz400
10-26-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by csr250r
I went up two teeth in the rear while i have these 20s, i raced 3 places this summer and one of those tracks closed up for racing and the other one only held 1 race and that was a tight track i ended up winning that one, but the main places i raced on is really fast wide open and i was getting into 5th so maybe i have to gear it for the different tracks i race on.

Yea you could pick up a couple different rear sprockets for the different tracks you ride. Doesn't take long to change out a sprocket and it would definitely help.