PDA

View Full Version : sand tires/

iski3
12-04-2002, 04:43 PM
What are great sand playing tires? For a 400 4 stroke quad.

Glamis400ex
12-04-2002, 05:21 PM
I personally like the GBC Sand Sharks, they are inexpensive and work really well. The v-blade design allows for a little better turning and sliding.

Glamis

eldoexrider01
12-04-2002, 09:06 PM
if you cant decide between angled and strait paddles u might wanna try geckos.

iski3
12-04-2002, 09:31 PM
Are the sand Skate II's to agressive?

Glamis400ex
12-04-2002, 10:04 PM
They are the same as any v-blade sand paddle, just more $$$. Some will argue the Sand SkateII's are superior, but for my money, if I get 95% of the SSII's performance for $70 less a set, any difference is irrelevant at best.

Glamis

iski3
12-04-2002, 10:35 PM
Thanks much!

chad400ex
12-04-2002, 10:57 PM
The geckos are a good playing tire, but they are a bit heavy for some of the steep tree shots and hillclimbs. Plus, they are a 21" tire, so that messes around with your gearing a bit. I tried airing mine down, and no matter what the pressure was, they still felt the same. I'm looking into getting a set of haulers for hill climbing. I know alot of people who "play ride" with them, and no one complains about how they handle. For most of the hills you come across, geckos, sand sharks, and the other cheaper tires will be fine, but they will leave you stranded 3/4 the way up a steep hill every now and then. To me, the extra dough for lighter tires is well worth the security that I'm not going to get stuck and possibly watch my quad do cartwheels all the way back down the hill.

iski3
12-04-2002, 11:07 PM
I would love to ride the dunes out west, but it is too far to drive......for now. I ride at the Little Sahara, and though sand is everywhere, the hills are not the tallest to climb. The tallest my be 75 feet, and it is the exception, not the rule.

skinrider440
12-04-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Glamis400ex
They are the same as any v-blade sand paddle, just more $$$. Some will argue the Sand SkateII's are superior, but for my money, if I get 95% of the SSII's performance for $70 less a set, any difference is irrelevant at best.

Glamis

i have a set of sand skate 2's and a pair of GBC sand sharks and the sand skates have 1/4" of more paddle on them. i love my Sand skate II's

forum
12-05-2002, 08:15 AM
what would be the best tire for a sand mx course?? also cheap too.oo yea on a 10 inch rim

chad400ex
12-05-2002, 08:46 AM
From personal experience, the geckos work just fine for jumps and woops. Plus they are easy to turn without feeling "tippy". You can just throw the rear end around like with knobby tires in dirt. They are pretty stiff, so you don't really have to worry about blowing out a bead (even at low pressure). I think that they are just about the cheapest tire out there...probably the same price as a Sand Shark. I'd stay away from the Sand Devils. In my atv club, there's been a pair of those that have changed hands like 4 times. Nobody wants them, because they don't work well, and they handle like cr@p.