PDA

View Full Version : cam chain stretching

kawiracerj
07-22-2008, 10:17 PM
i own an 03 kfx400,i have replaced the cam chain three times in one year,is there a fix for this problem?i buy good,extra strength cam chains but still goes bad fast.please help

hontrx265r
07-24-2008, 06:37 PM
How do you know its going bad? Have you measured it? Make sure your tensioner is working properly...Cam chains dont usually go bad unless you have some kind of catastrophic engine failure.

GRASSHOPPER71
07-26-2008, 03:41 PM
I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF A CAM CHAIN GOIN BAD THAT FAST EITHER. I ALSO AGREE,,, YOU SHOULD MAKE SURE THAT THE TENSIONER IS WORKIN RIGHT.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3wpBD-HKbQ
THIS VIDEO SHOWS HOW THE TENSIONER SHOULD WORK.
WHEN PUTTING THE TENSIONER BACK IN THE ENGINE,, MAKE SURE THE SLIDE PART OF THE ADJUSTER IS ALL THE WAY IN AND LEAVE THE SPRING OUT. INSTALL IT BACK ON THE ENGINE AND THEN PUT THE SPRING IN AND THE BOLT THAT HOLDS THE SPRING .
HOPE THIS HELPS!

400exrider707
07-30-2008, 07:20 AM
z400 cam chains are junk stock, but if you're using heavy duty ones and having issues still something else is wrong here. Are you replacing the tensioners as well? I know a lot of people use the tensioners out of one of the larger 4x4's (I want to say the vinson 500 but I'm not sure) or you can get a manual adjuster so you can get a little more life out of the chain. Manual adjusters will go in farther than the automatic ones.

What shape are your guides in? I cant believe it's stretching this fast...