PDA

View Full Version : gearing

rdstoner
07-22-2008, 10:16 PM
what are all the diffrent types of gearing you can do on a 2003 400ex that will work best with a slip on pipe and air filter.

REDRIDDER
07-23-2008, 10:26 AM
here you go try this it should answer your gearing questions, just remember to add rpms for rev boxes and correct the tire size if you need to.Also I don't know how accurate this is but seems fairly close.I got this converter chart here somewhere a while ago enjoy.:) http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/400ex.htm

07-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by REDRIDDER
here you go try this it should answer your gearing questions, just remember to add rpms for rev boxes and correct the tire size if you need to.Also I don't know how accurate this is but seems fairly close.I got this converter chart here somewhere a while ago enjoy.:) http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/400ex.htm

i have a better one than that its only on my computer i have the 1999-2004 400ex then the 2005 and up, they have different gearing internally and different sprokets and shift drops. I like the stock gearing best when you add a few mods, if your staying stock no pipe or anything drop a tooth on the front.

REDRIDDER
07-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
i have a better one than that its only on my computer i have the 1999-2004 400ex then the 2005 and up, they have different gearing internally and different sprokets and shift drops. I like the stock gearing best when you add a few mods, if your staying stock no pipe or anything drop a tooth on the front. nice,what chart do you have and is it availble to the public?

07-23-2008, 11:57 AM
its a program actually you enter all the gear ratios, sprokets, everything and then you can set variables like RPM, tire sizes, and sprockets along with calculate the CC by altering the bore or stroke. Its pretty neat. I cant remember how I got it though. If you want anything done just ask i will be happy to do it.

rdstoner
07-23-2008, 12:33 PM
ok well i plan to just stay with the slip on hmf and the k and n filter for a while. so what is stock sprocket sizes on an 2003 so i know what tooth to get for the front. because ill prolly just drop a tooth.

07-23-2008, 01:06 PM
2003 is a 15T front and 38T rear. The gearing is great with a few mods I wouldnt drop a tooth on mine with the mods I have but everyone rides different.

rdstoner
07-23-2008, 02:02 PM
how much power does the 6 degree timing advance give

07-23-2008, 03:13 PM
worth every penny and the time. might be the best thing I did to improve performance. Everything works in junction though. Better flowing exhaust is complimented by a better flowing airfilter and the 6 degree advance brought it all together nicely and pretty much made my quad a beast! I have no future performance mods planned because I dont need any, i'm 100% done with performance mods i am just saving for suspension/handling department then when the time comes for a rebuild i'm only going 406cc 9.8:1 compression and possibly an XR cam or the stage 1 hotcam but its all after i'm done with suspension and handling. Anyways the key was a GREAT mod, i was hesitant at 1st but after doing it theres nothing to worry about unless your running a higher compression over 10.5:1 or so and a bigger bore like 426 or 440. My 2nd gear is explosive you hit the gas and be prepared to hang on its like instant throttle repsonse

rdstoner
07-23-2008, 07:48 PM
well i have the hmf slip on and a k+n filter so is that enough and did you do the advance yourself or did you have it done. and if you did it yourself how simple and long does it take? and with a 14 tooth sprocket will i have to change the chain from stock or can i leave it?

REDRIDDER
07-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by rdstoner
well i have the hmf slip on and a k+n filter so is that enough and did you do the advance yourself or did you have it done. and if you did it yourself how simple and long does it take? and with a 14 tooth sprocket will i have to change the chain from stock or can i leave it? this will help out...http://www.atvriders.com/articles/timingkey400ex.html

07-23-2008, 08:28 PM
after installing a good airfilter, HMF and the timing key i would not drop a tooth on the front. i was on the road 1st right up had to let off, 2nd right up let off a little, 3rd went up, 4th gear hovered for a second and touched down. with a 14 tooth on the older models and those mods I think you would wheelie 4th and hover 5th

Hondamaster5505
07-23-2008, 08:48 PM
after installing a good airfilter, HMF and the timing key i would not drop a tooth on the front. i was on the road 1st right up had to let off, 2nd right up let off a little, 3rd went up, 4th gear hovered for a second and touched down. with a 14 tooth on the older models and those mods I think you would wheelie 4th and hover 5th

I really been thinking about the key for a while.

In all honesty, was it really that big of a seat of the pants feel? Real noticable?

07-23-2008, 09:12 PM
deffinately a seat of the pants feel. I installed it thinking how much could this do I mean more snappy throttle response a little faster got it in and ever since its amazing the difference. I can sit on the gas tank and just wide open throttle the wheels go right off the ground in 2nd gear. It powers through all the gears much better and the power is right there. I highly recomend it. I wish I could just have everyone that ask or wonder ride my quad and you will see. Like I said the wheels come off the ground with my mods the 1st 4 gears on the road. before 2nd would go up and 3rd you would be lucky to get a small hover

bean2080
07-23-2008, 09:37 PM
Anyways the key was a GREAT mod, i was hesitant at 1st but after doing it theres nothing to worry about unless your running a higher compression over 10.5:1 or so and a bigger bore like 426 or 440. My 2nd gear is explosive you hit the gas and be prepared to hang on its like instant throttle repsonse

i dont want to hijack this thread but what problems would i run into running 11:1? i was planning on running a 11:1 either .10 or .20 over with a advance timing key. should i not do that?

rdstoner
07-23-2008, 10:03 PM
does any one know where i can get the timing key because i went to curtis sparks main page and looked throught the parts and couldnt find it so if some one knows the link or can tell me how to get to it that would help alot. and is there a certain fly wheel puller that i need or can it be any puller.

07-23-2008, 10:14 PM
go to curtis sparks, honda, 400ex, electrical and your there. 11:1 you will more than likely have to run race gas with the timing key

bean2080
07-23-2008, 10:14 PM
here ya go

link (http://www.alwaysopenmall.com/layouts/02/unsecure/item.asp?SiteID=223&DepartmentID=85&CategoryID=949&GroupID=7033&ItemID=31633&StartNum=1&Sort=&ShowPics=0&ListByCode=1&Brand=&GenderAgeGroupID=0&MaxPrice=&SearchString=&ItemCode=&IsOnlyOnSale=0&FromHomePage=0&FromFamily=0&ProductFamilyID=0&RelatedItemID=0)

rdstoner
07-23-2008, 10:21 PM
thanks does the key come with a puller because i noticed it said that they have one for your convence?

07-23-2008, 10:40 PM
yeap comes with the puller thats wporth like what $7 or $10 alone? idk how much that separate cost but its all there when you buy the key

rdstoner
07-24-2008, 12:34 PM
sweet so its easily worth the 20 or 30 bucks you pay and you can get more power and speed.

07-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by rdstoner
sweet so its easily worth the 20 or 30 bucks you pay and you can get more power and speed.

oh yeah! dont forget about the gaskets too but its still worth it. Can you sit on your tank and just nail the gas in 2nd and wheelie not poping the clutch or anything?

rdstoner
07-24-2008, 02:38 PM
where do you sugest i get my gasgets from? cheapest perferably