PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Question

JJ400EX
07-22-2008, 07:59 PM
On the White Bros E-series exhaust do I make it quieter by adding or removing plates? The guy i bought it from said less plates less noise, but it doesnt make sense to me.

Rkangel7
07-22-2008, 11:34 PM
I also have a White Bros. E-series. Removing plates will quiet the pipe.
From what I understand the E-series is designed as a tuneable pipe. The more plates, the more flow, and the louder the pipe. The less plates, the lower the flow, and the quieter the pipe. Don't get too carried away. I believe that there is a minimum number of plates you can effectively run without having problems, or at the very least negating any performance gained by having an aftermarket pipe.

Are you trying to meet a noise restriction where you ride?

07-22-2008, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Rkangel7
Removing plates will quiet the pipe.
The more plates, the more flow, and the louder the pipe. The less plates, the lower the flow, and the quieter the pipe.

I have no experience with this pipe but that sounds the wrong way round.

Less plates = more moise.

More plates = less noise.

bean2080
07-23-2008, 12:01 AM
i have the e-series on my 400 without any plates and its loud, i have no idea where my plates are though so i cant see what way is louder. i think Ikilla2 is right though because it just dont make since the other way. BTW if no one dont want there plates let me know, i need it a little less loud when im riding places im not suppost to ride :eek:

07-23-2008, 03:27 AM
less plates equals less noise

4 plate is back at stock performance, and is the minimum that should be run

Hondamaster5505
07-23-2008, 09:10 AM
I myself never understood the theory of the plates in them.

You'd think that the plates have different size holes in them. The more plates you have, the smaller the hole size gets restricing flow and reducing sound. How in the hell do they make it the complete opposite!?!?!

Unless, (being i never had an exhaust like this, im just assuming) that the exhaust actually exits out the sides of the disk area, thus having more space for the exhaust to flow out making more power.

Anybody who has one wish to explain?

Rkangel7
07-23-2008, 09:29 AM
The exhaust exits between the plates, assuming the end plate is installed. Except for the end plate which has no hole, all of the rest of the plates are the same (same diameter hole). Adding plates reduces back pressure by allowing a greater area for exhaust to pass between multiple plates. More flow usually means louder as well. I've noticed that my E-series tends to be louder for the rider and those standing next to the quad, because the sound tends to come out the sides rather thanthe back of the pipe.

BlasterEaten250
07-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad

4 plate is back at stock performance, and is the minimum that should be run I'm just wondering, does that include the solid plate, or is it 4 plates, and then the blockoff plate?

07-23-2008, 10:15 AM
when i had an e-series i think i was running 12 disk

REDRIDDER
07-23-2008, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad

4 plate is back at stock performance, and is the minimum that should be run exactly!!! i still have the paper work for my E-series i bought 5 years ago, so if anyone would like more info on this pipe i would be glad to post up info right from the paper work that came with the pipe.

REDRIDDER
07-23-2008, 10:48 AM
here is some info right from the manual, might be a little hard to read but here you go.

bean2080
07-23-2008, 11:03 AM
thanks for the info, i gess you are all right about that. looks like im going to be needing some disks for mine. wonder if i can jsut buy them?