PDA

View Full Version : 2008 525 issues

willb
07-22-2008, 06:38 PM
I have a new 08 525 with only a tank and a half on it. Don't ask why- Cancer is the reason.

Like many others from day one: I could not shift into neutral while the engine was running. The clutch felt engaged some times even when it was fully pulled in. It even killed the battery trying to start it once as it was grabbing.

I got to ride with my family on Memorial day and took the quad in to the shop a week afterwards. Figured I would have them check and rebleed the clutch and do the rear sprocket recall.

After 2 months of BS and very dirty returned bike. They said they replaced everything and everything is in spec. COuldnt explain why as it was the first time they seen this and quite honestly the first time they had to tear down a new clutch..

Can get it into N from 2nd but there is a noticable. Rattle type noise..

Is there any common noise from down there that I should expect..

Again, it isnt even broke in yet>>>>

Thanks guys

willb
07-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Updated pic

harperjmichael
07-22-2008, 11:08 PM
I can't put our 03 Predator in neutral with it running either, but that is because of the aftermarket dirt digger clutches. Sounds to me like the dealer is really screwing you around. You can download almost all of the parts manuals and maint. manuals from the Polaris site - tear into it yourself before taking it to the dealer that way you know for sure what the problem is and won't get the run around.

OutlawBill
07-23-2008, 04:58 AM
neutral is hard to find on the Outlaw 525 I find it is easier to get too from 2nd.

Evasiveone
07-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Exactly what Bill said, it is much easier to find neutral going from 2nd down. A little bit of practice and it will become second nature. The 525 is a hard engine to find neutral on and is this way in the dirt bike also. Once you get several tanks of fuel through it it gets easier.

Not sure what to tell you about the dealer though. Sounds like they are just digging for a problem and $$$ out of a warrenty job. Did you notice the clutch slipping when you had it? But let them replace the clutches and finding neutral will get easier for you with more riding time.

One nice thing about it though I have never hit neutral when going up through the gears like some other bikes have a bad tendancy to do.

montycarlo
07-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Nice Outlaw!

I've yet to be able to ride my 450, but the backyard racing I've done (0 MPH!) I've got the same problem with finding neutral. Andy Lagnzdinz (can't spell it buy you know who) wrote a review on the 525S on the home page of ATVriders that had the same complaint (also a extended crank on a hot start that I seem to have). Must be the "nature of the beast" and your dealer may be chasing a problem that can't be fixed?

georgedoggy
07-23-2008, 11:51 PM
trouble finding neutral is a typical KTM issue, dont worry about it.
give it heaps!.

willb
07-24-2008, 12:24 PM
The plates were completely worn. The clutch had been dragging bad. They replaced the entire assembly and should have it back Monday

motoguy450r
07-26-2008, 05:31 PM
man i feel for ya, i'm not defending your dealership but i have worked for a polaris dealership in the past and polaris requires them to send everyhting to their warranty dept to be inspected and they do give their guys alot of run around. i was a service manager and they gave me the run around all the time on warranty stuff, its one of those things were its their fault but they wont admit it if they can prove it could be your fault. thus saving them money so they think. it was so bad i quit, i have to honestly say they may build one of the toughest quads on earth, but they sure don't like standing behind them. good luck.

willb
08-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Updated please respond

smokinwrench
08-08-2008, 10:26 PM
My 07 525 was difficult to find reverse in the beginning but I was able to slam it into reverse easily after it got broke in.

ojcool
08-11-2008, 10:38 AM
Try finding neutral on a Banshee!

sparks1032
09-08-2008, 01:09 AM
rode a 525EXC (thats a two wheel thing) and same problem with finding neutral. I think it is a KTM thing!

Lewis2893
09-09-2008, 05:52 PM
I have just got an Outlaw mine is the S model but they are both pretty much the same. I have found no problems with finding neutral or anything else. Jus the airbox has problems lol. I do know the rattling you are talking about though. Mine dose it as well, mostly when downshifting and slowing down. It is most noticeable when driving in low RPM. I don't think it is anything to worry about, I think it is just parts of the plastic. Its a great quad man, be happy you have one.