PDA

View Full Version : Severe Thunderstorms

scottwvu
07-22-2008, 04:10 PM
:scary: :scary: :scary: :scary: :scary:

I do NOT like them. Not even a little bit. The funny thing is, when I was younger, I used to love ALL thunderstorms.

Not anymore.....:scary: :scary: :scary: :scary: :scary:

Where do you stand?

Duke Nukem
07-22-2008, 04:14 PM
I don't mind them unless it rains the day I ride:D

07-22-2008, 04:21 PM
beside the fact i wont be able to ride i love thunder storms they interest me. Sometimes take the gf to the beach if its real bad and just sit in the car and watch. enjoyable

mojo123
07-22-2008, 04:35 PM
i love them, im also in the fire department so it makes them even better

Pappy
07-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by mojo123
i love them, im also in the fire department so it makes them even better

i felt the same way until a lighten strike hit close to us and took out every bulb and fuse on the truck. this is back when we rode on the back of the truck not in a jump seat:p

i like a good t storm, as long as it doesnt cause any damage

JJs450r
07-22-2008, 04:49 PM
i was the kid that when your mom or dad opened the closet door i was hiding under a blanket during thunder storms, 2 this day i have to wear my mp3 player when one comes around

trx400EXtreme
07-22-2008, 05:10 PM
i hate them. they keep me from working, which keeps me from getting money, which keeps me from buying gas for my truck and my quad, which keeps me from riding.

Ruby Soho
07-22-2008, 05:13 PM
thunder storms are cool, its when there is only rain for hours that i hate:o

gcart2
07-22-2008, 05:16 PM
i love it. i live in florida so everyday about 4pm we get a rough storm. its so exciting...

i mean the lightning:eek2:

makes you wonder....:chinese:

07-22-2008, 05:20 PM
i love t storms.. when it rauins and stuff i get to ride and not have to worry about the dust and stuff making the neighbors mad:ermm:

07-22-2008, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
i love it. i live in florida so everyday about 4pm we get a rough storm. its so exciting...

i mean the lightning:eek2:

makes you wonder....:chinese:

haha i know i love it too. I've almost gotten struck I think i'm up to 3 times now where lightning has hit when i was standing outside about 20ft away. 1 hit in my driveway when I was working on my quad with the door open, i dropped the tool and just froze up because it was so crazy, another I was sitting around under the overhang near my pool watching the lightning in the area I stood up and BAM! the brightest loudest thing i have ever heard and seen in my life lightning hit the tree on the otherside of my pool it was like a shockwave I fell back, got up and ran into the door before i could open it my heart and pulse rate was so fast for a couple hours after it happen, then I get in the car and as i'm pulling out lightning hits the light pole right near me and rattles everything lol. Its crazy Tampa Bay, FL is the lightning capital of the world hence the hockey team name the lightning lol There has been other close strikes but not where I think iw as going to get struck. Lightning hit a house in my neighborhood and just blew a huge hole in the roof a few houses down and the house started on fire! I love it but sometimes it likes i'm not even safe in my house after seeing it blow through a roof and staright down the wall into the ground

07-22-2008, 05:42 PM
haha it sounds like a war with motars, nades, and it almost sounds like its hailing again I forgot about flashbangs because i'm getting blinded by the close stuff lol

scottwvu
07-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Hey pappy, did it storm where you are at?

Beckley just got a pretty wild one.

Pappy
07-22-2008, 07:39 PM
we got a few decent ones over the past few days but nothing major

ZeroLogic
07-22-2008, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
haha it sounds like a war with motars, nades, and it almost sounds like its hailing again I forgot about flashbangs because i'm getting blinded by the close stuff lol

And, by your reply, I can see you have no idea what war is like besides video games.:p :chinese:

I hate rain, and snow. They keep my from working. When I don't work, I loose money which means no gas money or screwing around money and no saved up money.:ermm:

redlineranger
07-22-2008, 07:46 PM
absolutely hate them!! 2 sundays ago lightning got my TV, fried like 8 outlets around the house, and i think it caused some serious issues with alot of the trees on our land lol.

but i just dont like storms. im paranoid because i've lost a few xbox's and TV's thanks to lightning so i dont like them. hurricanes are the worst. hurricane ivan devastated the town i lived in when it hit. deffinately a no good situation

07-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
And, by your reply, I can see you have no idea what war is like besides video games.:p :chinese:

between real footage, and stories I have an idea. I hope to never experience war after hearing and seeing real things about the war.

Quad18star
07-22-2008, 08:22 PM
I don't mind thunderstorms ... as long as they aren't hitting my house.

A few years ago , one got a little too close for comfort. I was sitting on the couch watching TV when a major storm rolled in. So I got up and started watching the lightening .. then all of a sudden about 2000 feet away lightening struck the city Water Tower... and it ricochet off and hit an appartment building situated right beside it. The lightening when through 7 floors right into the basement . It didn't take long for the building to go completely up in flames .... totally destroyed the appartment building . Fire crews worked about 10 hours trying to put it out.

Up until about 2 years ago when they painted the Tower , you could still see the black mark from where the lightening hit. The sound from the strike was like someone firing off a 12 gauge shotgun right beside my ear. It shook the whole house .

I don't ever want to be that close to lightening again.

07-22-2008, 08:28 PM
I like them, we just had a doozy a couple days ago. Power still out in some areas. The dairy queen had to give away all it's ice cream for free! Win Win for us. I just hate them when I am at work, forklift doesn't have a roof just roll cage and even with cardboard taped on I still get soaked. Besides, right after it rains I get in the trans am and go rain racing. Nothing like carrying a burnout forever and drifting corners.

ZeroLogic
07-22-2008, 08:51 PM
I was at the Middle Town mall in new york a few weeks ago with my bro and a friend. We walked out into the parking lot trying to find his car and it was grey out not raining or anything. About a thousand feet out we say a lightning bolt hit a tower. The thunder shook the ground and was so damn loud. Real scary. It set a crap load of car alarms off too.:blah:

416exfreak
07-22-2008, 08:58 PM
I pray for them...

I love thunderstorms...they are kind of like job security.

Lightning strikes your pump (if you have a water well) and then I have to go pull it out and replace it...

So I like thunderstorms.:devil:

nickm328
07-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Didn't mind them till Katrina hit, now I could do without them. Was hoping for a band or two from dolly to cool it down but it missed me.

mittman
07-22-2008, 10:07 PM
i used to love them until lighting struck about 30 feet away from me. took a chunk of concrete out of our driveway

Mxjunkie
07-23-2008, 05:52 AM
Lately around my area we have been having one at least every two to three days.. The mushroom houses out back all have metal roofing so lightning is about unpredictable as hell.. Looks almost like fireworks on some nights :o :p

scottwvu
07-23-2008, 06:37 AM
Hey Pappy, have you ever seen this site? It used to be called West Virginia Lightning, now it's called "storm highway" or something.
http://wvlightning.com
Anyway, it's a site from some storm chasers in West Virginia. They are all into photography, and the historical section is really awesome. ( For instance, did you know a tornado hit Shinnston, w.v. that is in the top 10 deadliest U.S. tornadoes (it killed 100)).
It's a cool site, you should check it out :)

Pappy
07-23-2008, 07:36 AM
thanks for teh link scott, im checking it out now!

07-23-2008, 09:07 AM
This picture is real, happens all the time like this around Tampa.

powermadd400ex
07-23-2008, 09:55 AM
i dont care for them. but idc if they happen either.
when i was little my parents used to tell me when i heard thunder it was Jesus and God bowling haha :p

8my_Cash
07-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by powermadd400ex
i dont care for them. but idc if they happen either.
when i was little my parents used to tell me when i heard thunder it was Jesus and God bowling haha :p

Thunder was a spare and lightning was a strike haha :D

Mxjunkie
07-24-2008, 06:11 AM
:o

Quad18star
07-24-2008, 08:05 AM
Here's a couple pretty sweet pictures of lightning hitting the CN Tower in Toronto.

http://www.cntowerlights.com/wp-content/cn-tower-toronto-lightning.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3052/2555445707_729740a0a3.jpg?v=0
http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/6302/060803cntowerstormgalrm9.jpg

exrider12
07-24-2008, 08:42 AM
those dont even look real!