PDA

View Full Version : what has this site come to?

250rmike
07-22-2008, 03:44 PM
alright i havent been back on here for that long and i can already see that the site has gone downhill. now i know weve been playing around alittle bit but all joking aside why cant people just spell out words and make sense in their posts. im not putting anyone down in particular so dont everyone come in and point out all my grammer and spelling mistakes im not an english teacher or major nor do i have anything to do with english other than i use it everyday to speak to other people. just seems like theres alot of younger(maybe not) people on here that just talk illiterate(sp). i have just got out of a couple threads cause i didnt even want to read them to offer any advice. now i know its summer time and well get alot of kids on here but enough is enough. we need to have a rule if we dont already have one that says if you cant make a post in good english then you cant come on the forum. i am in several other forums that have this and it works great. granted some of them arnt as big as this one but we need to do something. alright enough ranting just had to get that off my chest. have fun and ride safe

Pappy
07-22-2008, 03:56 PM
shall i pull up threads from 5 years ago with the same things your complaining about:p

Flyin-Low
07-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Some people may not actually be able to do what your saying, that's just a fact of life. You can't expect everyone to have the same level of education. And I'd also like to add that it's an INTERNET FORUM.. so I wouldn't expect people to pour their heart and soul into every post and make sure it's perfect.

If you don't like reading their posts, then don't read them. It's not hard.

250rmike
07-22-2008, 04:02 PM
hey hey 5 years ago was different we all know that.

and flyinglow this was not intended to insult anyone it was just a rant got it off my chest thats all there is to it. sometimes you gotta do that im done with it now.

Pappy
07-22-2008, 04:07 PM
5 years ago is none different then today. people used slang, hip words of the day, trends etc. just different names doing it now and back then some complained just as today.

and its not all kids, the adults on this site are evenly split with the teeney boppers when it comes to breaking rules, causing trouble etc and this includes bad grammer

you cant fix stupid

Warnerade
07-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Flyin-Low
Some people may not actually be able to do what your saying, that's just a fact of life. You can't expect everyone to have the same level of education. And I'd also like to add that it's an INTERNET FORUM.. so I wouldn't expect people to pour their heart and soul into every post and make sure it's perfect.

If you don't like reading their posts, then don't read them. It's not hard. Was it hard for you to post that Im guessing not yet for the most part there is perfect grammar spelling begining and end of sentences Over all your post was easy to read and made sense Is that so much to ask for (i think thats what 250rmike was getting at)

atvrider23054
07-22-2008, 04:57 PM
flyin low was just saying that some people dont have the education that others do. and sometime i come on this forum realy quick to ask questions when grammer on the internet is the last thing on my mind that i need to be thinking about. afterall it is the internet and who cares this is an atv forum not a school or literature forum.

and people need to stop making posts about "what happened to this site".

Ralph
07-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Warnerade
Was it hard for you to post that Im guessing not yet for the most part there is perfect grammar spelling begining and end of sentences Over all your post was easy to read and made sence Is that so much to ask for (i think thats what 250rmike was getting at)

Nice sentence structure :blah:

gcart2
07-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

you cant fix stupid

Not cool pappy :p

jk ron white = the man

trx400EXtreme
07-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by atvrider23054
flyin low was just saying that some people dont have the education that others do. and sometime i come on this forum realy quick to ask questions when grammer on the internet is the last thing on my mind that i need to be thinking about. afterall it is the internet and who cares this is an atv forum not a school or literature forum.

and people need to stop making posts about "what happened to this site". no joke, it seems like complaining about only causes more fighting.

250rmike
07-22-2008, 05:08 PM
yea i guess i just didnt notice it back then it just seemed like there is alot more of it but i guess not. lets just move on i just had to rant because the last 3 threads i opened up i couldnt understand. i was trying to lend advice on some things and could the rant is over ive moved on lets all go on with what we were doing and forget about this thread

coryatver
07-22-2008, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Warnerade
Was it hard for you to post that Im guessing not yet for the most part there is perfect grammar spelling begining and end of sentences Over all your post was easy to read and made sence Is that so much to ask for (i think thats what 250rmike was getting at)

What does sence mean? Do you mean sense

Warnerade
07-22-2008, 05:18 PM
you guys really need to stop hitting quote then editing my post...gosh

cook65xc
07-22-2008, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
What does sence mean? Do you mean sense

lol:D

250rmike
07-22-2008, 05:28 PM
yes i meant sense

07-22-2008, 05:31 PM
i aint und3rstand wut ur sayin its same mayne lol j/k

450rRacer22
07-22-2008, 06:32 PM
I get what 250rmike is getting at as well. Im not to picky about this, but some threads do get out of hand and are completely ridiculous. I guess i just think if your asking for help, or just posting a thread about something, you need to atleast have decent grammer if you want people to reply and help you out. It makes everything easier when you can understand what the person is saying. Just my .02 cents

ZeroLogic
07-22-2008, 07:48 PM
wutz werng wit pur speillin gramar :confused:

Ruby Soho
07-22-2008, 08:01 PM
when its on forums etc.. i dont care how people's grammer is. like that study or whatever where it shows people can understand a word even if it's letters are in the wrong order. if i can sound it out and make out what the person is saying i really dont care

now what does get on my nerves is some of the kids coming here and being either know-it-alls or causing trouble for nothing.

07-22-2008, 08:09 PM
How about we all make a post *****ing about everything we dislike........

Seriously do you think after reading this post people are going to start spelling correctly? no.....

Just because you dislike something doesnt mean you HAVE to make a post about it, this thread did nothing but cause a bunch of bickering, nor did it make anyone snap out of the illiterate shell.

elmer91
07-22-2008, 09:05 PM
I do agree with the grammar problem a little. i understand the shortening of words, such as prolly being probably, and the idk for i dont know, but some of it does get annoying. spelling errors dont bug me, because that is just natural, some people type fast and misspell, others just dont know how to spell certain words.

Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
i aint und3rstand wut ur sayin its same mayne lol j/k

i know FoxHondaRider was joking with this post, but it is stuff like that that needs to taken care of when people dont do it jokingly. and i am just voicing my opinion on this, so dont kill me for putting this.

dirtbike&quad
07-22-2008, 09:24 PM
i know like 3 years ago when i first joined the site i was a pain in the ***. now im pretty straight, dont post much, only to topics that interest me. now there are kids like me 3 years ago on here now and i see how much of a douchebag i really was :eek:

yz rider65
07-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by 450rRacer22
I get what 250rmike is getting at as well. Im not to picky about this, but some threads do get out of hand and are completely ridiculous. I guess i just think if your asking for help, or just posting a thread about something, you need to atleast have decent grammer if you want people to reply and help you out. It makes everything easier when you can understand what the person is saying. Just my .02 cents

not to be a dick or anything, but does it really matter? if you can understand what they are saying, then good. if not, then forget about it. ya know?

450rRacer22
07-23-2008, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by yz rider65
not to be a dick or anything, but does it really matter? if you can understand what they are saying, then good. if not, then forget about it. ya know?
I guess it doesnt matter if you can read it and understand it. Its when they get so bad that the thread hardly makes sense and hard to read. I was just stating my opinion on the topic, and i even said that it doesnt bother me that much. I atleast try to make sure that everything i have typed is spelled correctly and it makes sense. I feel if i do that, more people will be able or more willing to help me with my thread that i started and what im asking about in it. Im not perfect i know that, but i atleast try.

elmer91
07-23-2008, 08:40 AM
for those of you that worry about spelling errors, get Mozilla Firefox. it underlines misspelled words in red, just like Microsoft Word does.

Hondamaster5505
07-23-2008, 09:27 AM
wuz wong w/ evey1 on heree. Iz don c no prob w/ pepls grmer?

Usually I can read most peoples posts, so I don't really care about the whole grammer issue. I mean, if it's that hard to read, don't complain about things, just ignore them.

What, should the moderators just start banning people for bad grammer:rolleyes:

There's no real way to fix this.

Pappy
07-23-2008, 09:35 AM
There may be no way to fix it, but in the tech sections I would expect people to use the best grammer they can in asking for help and for those giving it.

450rRacer22
07-23-2008, 10:57 AM
There may be no way to fix it, but in the tech sections I would expect people to use the best grammer they can in asking for help and for those giving it.
Thank you

wilkin250r
07-24-2008, 01:47 AM

That's my take on things. I don't expect Ernest Hemmingway, but most everybody knows basic sentence structure, punctuation, and spelling. If a person can't be bothered to spend the time to make their question legible and easy to understand, then I can't be bothered to spend the time to answer. You want to take advantage of my knowledge, which took YEARS to aquire, but you can't be bothered to spend an extra few seconds on your post?

How much time to you really save by typing "u" instead of "you"? The other letters ain't that hard to find, they're right next to it...