PDA

View Full Version : bad cdi???

mxduner
07-22-2008, 02:36 PM
what is everyone's experience with cdi failures? do they just go out mainly or do they ever intermittently cut out? my r acts as if it has a built in rev limiter. its a stock ignition with a janseen coil, on a 310 esr top end. It starts ,idles, runs out sweet till about halfway thru the powerband. I got a 36mm mikuni pwk that has been jetted per esrs specs, i tried multiple plugs and all have been gapped at .020". if i get time tonight i will ohm everything and check grounds and all the connecters. oh btw it did the same thing when i installed a non programable cdi from dynatek (x2) now this year its doing it with the stock box. Of course i just put the new cylinder kit in:(

gandgracing
07-22-2008, 03:57 PM
I've had some trouble like this and the main jet was way to big. There jetting specs are just a starting point. Try leaning it out.

mxduner
07-24-2008, 03:23 PM
I went down to a 370 main with no change. I'm at 800 ft about 60 degrees and i came down from a 440. My plug is not black and maybe damp.man this is teasing me:confused: anyone have a mikuni in there r with a similar setup?

Quadrcr4life09
07-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Im in the same boat.. 265r stage 3 mx port and polish, esr pipe, 36mm mikuni tmx carb, jennesen super coil, ricky stator la de da.. I had a dynatek cdi on and i couldnt get it started..put the stock cdi back on and it finally started.. idles fine, but seems to have a rev limiter on and it seems to just stop making power on the top half of the power band... got all the way up to a 560 main jet with little luck.. plug is reading light grey.. needle is on richest setting.. def need some help also..

07-28-2008, 08:58 PM
For starters, both of you need to ditch the mikunis and put a Keihin carb on there. Then we can talk jetting.

mxduner
07-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by 8686
For starters, both of you need to ditch the mikunis and put a Keihin carb on there. Then we can talk jetting.
actually i just ditched my 38 keihin and despite whatever problem i have this carb easily outperforms my 38 keihin, till the "rev limiter" kicks in. If i get time tommorow, i will try another main.

Fear250r
07-29-2008, 06:31 AM
When my cdi went, it was acting exactly like what you're talking about. It would start, run, idle and it would basically act like it would never warm up. It would just start to get into powerband and that run like S***! Hope that helps.

mxduner
07-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Fear250r
When my cdi went, it was acting exactly like what you're talking about. It would start, run, idle and it would basically act like it would never warm up. It would just start to get into powerband and that run like S***! Hope that helps.
hey thanks man.I'm gonna order one today and if the other is fine, well, having a spare aint so bad either:p