PDA

View Full Version : 400ex brake pads wearing quick!!!

Jeff
12-04-2002, 03:13 PM
I recently bought some new rear brake pads for my 400ex and they are already gone!! I mean I do ride in harsh cond. (mud, water, etc.) but I thought that they would last longer than that! I have a White Brothers PB block-off so I heard that helps but I have had the block-off since I had my pads, got them at about the same time. I can't figure it out. Is it supposed to wear that quick due to my riding cond. or is there something I can do to prevent it or is there a better brand?? I aint changed my front ones yet, their still good. Thanks!

Whats the best pads to get?

BTW, im running the stock rotor if that matters...

beerock
12-04-2002, 03:17 PM
there was a recall on the 400ex brakes a while ago

check with your dealer....

Jeff
12-04-2002, 03:22 PM
I usually get something in the mail on recalls...:( :confused:

Ralph
12-04-2002, 03:24 PM
ur rotor might be warped wich would cause faster wearing

DEAL
12-04-2002, 05:00 PM
Mud and water kills disc brakes , its just a fact.
And Beerock the recall on the 400ex brakes was because someone installed the front pads backwards on a few 400s.
Shop around, I believe EBC makes some heavy duty pads that might last a little longer.

Taco
12-04-2002, 06:05 PM
use stock pads or the EBC severe duty

Ryan
12-04-2002, 07:51 PM
When you first put them in did it feel like when you let off the gas it kinda slowed down the quad? If so then your brakes could of been over tightened and your pads could be rubbing to hard. This happened with my quad and the disk was so hot when I touched it with my glove it burnt a hole right threw it. You could need a hole new caliber also.

300exazzkikr
12-04-2002, 08:27 PM
you use brakes...:huh

12-04-2002, 08:32 PM
i bought braking pads and they wore my stock rotors out and the pads are like new so im buying all braking rotors

beerock
12-04-2002, 08:38 PM
I hear the magnum brand pads wear well.

it soundslike something is wrogn if your pads wore that fast

nakomis0
12-04-2002, 08:54 PM
My pads wear out pretty fast too. Someone once told me it was because I rode in sand alot. Beats me. I know one thing, .. changing brakes alot sucks.

L.Vegas400
12-05-2002, 03:57 AM
i still have the stock brakes on my 400, bought the quad back in the first of may and ride about 3 hrs a week. they are getting close.

465Stroker
12-05-2002, 04:58 AM
If the old pads you replaced are completely gone to the metal - then your rotor will have a ton of sharp edges within the cooling holes. Putting new pads on with this condition to your rotor will cause the rotor to wear your pads away much quicker until the sharp edges on the rotor wear way.
If you ever get to this conclusion - put a set of used pads on first to take the sharp edges away - then put on your new ones.
Many local shops around here sell very cheap pads that look like oatmeal - do not buy these - they will wear out within a days riding. Make sure the pads have a very goldish metallic look to them - it is worth it to pay a little more.
I always has great results with DP, Braking, or OEM Honda pads.

Texan32
12-05-2002, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by Lrd Mx400ex
ur rotor might be warped wich would cause faster wearing

LRD, the ex has "floating" calipers. If you don't know, this means that the caliper itself sits over the rotor and by the nature of the "floating" setup, it can slide side to side to compensate for warpage. In order for the rotor to cause the pads to wear out that fast, that rotor would have to be so warped that it causes the quad to shake.

Jeff. i would look closely at your caliper. Make sure your piston moves freely. it won't move with your fingers, but i mean that you can pump the brake pedal and then with fair ease push the piston back into the housing. If the piston doesn't wannt go back in, thats your problem. Hope this helps.

mxracer111
12-05-2002, 12:40 PM
Buy either HONDA PADS or Premier PHD series. they will last forever almost. if you buy crappy cheap pads they will wear out quick...when i was using EBC's i would go through a set of rear pads in about 2 races. now with the Premiers they last about 3 months. but they are about $30 for the set