PDA

View Full Version : how to break rear axle loose

yamahardr15
07-21-2008, 09:51 PM
I need to replace the rear bearings in the axle and I have some stuff loose but I can't get the hub that the disk break is on off to get to it. So I was wondering if there are any tricks or suggestions.
Thanks,
Grant

justin1022
07-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by yamahardr15
I need to replace the rear bearings in the axle and I have some stuff loose but I can't get the hub that the disk break is on off to get to it. So I was wondering if there are any tricks or suggestions.
Thanks,
Grant

if you got al lthe clips and lock nuts off just put a 2x4 agenst the right side of the axle and beat it with a sludge hammer when i did mine i had it hanging from a chain on the roof and someone held a 2x4 agenst it and i just beat the crap out of it. ha

yamahardr15
07-22-2008, 08:06 PM
thanks i'll try rigging something like that up

justin1022
07-22-2008, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by yamahardr15
thanks i'll try rigging something like that up ha no its usaly not that bad the only reason mine was that bad was because i rode home and the bearings blew out and the carrie rgot honed out and twisted along the the the calper mounts to if you got that clip out under the lock nut out and the lock nut off then you should be able to slide the break rotor off of yo ucant lub it up and maybe put a puller on it and pul it off there is no reason why it shoudl stay on beisdes rust so lub should get it anyway and then you should see a clip on the carrier and that clip should be able to come off with a tool it is made to pull that ring off the ring has to holes that the tool goes into.. then once you get that clip off you shodl loosen the 4 bolts you loosen to tighten your chain and pull your chain off your reaer sproket or just pull the sproket off then eather put a piece of wood up agenst th eright side of the axle and hit it or use a rubber mallet and it should slide out all at once the carrer with the axle. thats everything you need to no ha.

yamahardr15
07-23-2008, 08:27 AM
well i've tried lubing it up but I'll let you know how the hammer method works later on today lol