PDA

View Full Version : First oil change problem

HondaRaceReady
07-21-2008, 06:52 PM
It was the first oil change I've ever done for this bike and after I filled it with oil I ran it to check the level. Like 3 minutes later there was just enough oil behind the sightglass to be a few mm's above the L mark. So then I added more oil and warmed up and cooled down the bike again to check the level and it was borderline just below/on the U mark. After that I rode it for about an hour and a half without messing with the oil again. It ran fine. Did I do any permanent damage by having not enough oil and then maybe too much oil?

Dave400ex
07-21-2008, 09:13 PM
If you had it at the upper mark then I would say no. The oil level changes easily depending on the temperature. I always check mine the next day after changing it so I'm starting with it being completely cold. You should be ok.

represent618
07-22-2008, 06:54 AM
should hold just under 1 quart according to the owners manual.

the tranny and the engine both hold the same ammounts, per the book.

has anyone experienced something different? I am about to do the first change on my new 450 with about 3 hours on it.

thanks

JCoop
07-22-2008, 07:55 AM
I usually put the whole quart in mine. I change the oil filter out also so that soaks up some of the oil. I have noticed a lot of pro bikes have a full sight glass of oil on theirs, I have never had a problem with putting the whole quart in mine.

redrider91
07-22-2008, 08:57 AM
so is it ok to put a whole quart in both sides?

represent618
07-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Hmm, I have always known too much oil to be a bad thing due to sloshing and bubbling when over-filled.

I would say that a whole quart is propably ok and the easiest thing to do though.

What kind of oil are you running jcoop, 10w30 in both?

jkulysses
07-22-2008, 11:37 AM
I just changed the oil in my brand new 08 a few weeks ago. I put 10w-30 spectro 4-stroke oil in the engine side and the honda 2 stroke transmission oil in the tranny side. I just filled the motor side a little above the full mark on the sight glass then ran the motor for 10 min or so then I refilled it to the full mark a few hours later after the oil had completely cooled down. On the tranny side I filled it till oil started coming out of the hole where the oil level bolt goes can't remember the actual name of it off the top of my head right now lol. It takes the oil a while to get down through the tranny though cause I ended up putting the whole quart in and after a few minutes oil finally started coming out of that bolt level checking hole so then I just let the extra drain back out.

JCoop
07-22-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by represent618
Hmm, I have always known too much oil to be a bad thing due to sloshing and bubbling when over-filled.

I would say that a whole quart is propably ok and the easiest thing to do though.

What kind of oil are you running jcoop, 10w30 in both?

I only use a full quart on the motor side. I use 10w40 Castrol Syntec. It is usually all the way full when I first put it in, when I start it up and let it run it will cycle through the new oil filter and the oil level will drop, it is bad to overfill it by a lot but this isnt enough to hurt it I don't think. Like I said, I have been doing this since I got it.

On the transmission side I run Shell Rotella T oil, I have a rekluse pro installed and rekluse recommends that oil. I do not put a quart in the clutch side.

Scro
07-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Something I just learned the other day - The oil is cycled through the filter first before it really "hits" any major components. So when you replace your filter, be sure to fill the filter with oil first. Otherwise, the motor will essentially be running without oil for a second.

I've never done this with my 04 and I've never had an issue, but it does make sense.

JCoop
07-22-2008, 12:29 PM
So you are saying dump oil on your filter before you install it?

I think the major components are okay for a "second" before the oil cycles through, there is enough oil left on the components to properly lube them before anything burns up. If you run a synthetic oil it attaches and "clings" to the compenants nicely.

Scro
07-22-2008, 12:33 PM
No, in the hole where the spring sits. This is just what David Crane told T-bone. I figured it couldn't hurt anything to do it, but I do agree with you.

redrider91
08-06-2008, 05:10 PM
i no this may sound retarded but i cant find the drain bolt for the clutch side. on the 04-05 theres a bolt but on the 06 the bolt aint there

bobbys9350
08-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Both sides call for just a tad bit under 3/4 of a quart. Just put 3/4 of a quart in each side and you know your good to go. Plus it's an easy mark to go by as opposed to .712

Scro
08-07-2008, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by redrider91
i no this may sound retarded but i cant find the drain bolt for the clutch side. on the 04-05 theres a bolt but on the 06 the bolt aint there

It's on the opposite side, beneath the shifter. I believe it's a 12mm bolt. You'll need a pretty long extension. It's a PITA to get out/put back in the first couple times you do it.

redrider91
08-07-2008, 07:29 AM
ty.no wonder i couldnt find it

stoopidbot
08-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by redrider91
so is it ok to put a whole quart in both sides?

Why not just put the correct amount? It's not that hard. Fill it until it is in the middle of the sight glass. Close it up. Turn it on. It will go down a little. Turn it off. Fill it back up to the middle.

Do the same thing with the tranny side but instead of the glass, you got the little screw.

Sjorge450R
08-07-2008, 04:35 PM
As I have been told by Colby as C&D. DONT PUT A FULL QUART in the motor! It can blow out the inner motor seal that seperates the tranny and motor oil and if you arent running the same oil on both sides, this could lead to horrible problems. :D

warr72
08-07-2008, 11:27 PM
If you change oil and filter on engine side it is .73 quart and if you change only oil in engine side its .69 of a quart. The transmission side is .72 of a quart, 08 specs. To much oil is not a good thing nor is the wrong oil. I have changed a few clutches and bottom ends from oil abuse. Oil for a car is intended for a car, alot of people can't seem to understand that. :huh When you check engine oil in sight glass make sure quad has been run a few minutes atleast, then shut it down and let set for a minute on level ground then check oil level in sight glass.

Sjorge450R
08-08-2008, 03:13 PM
^^^ been running rotella for the past 2.5 years. Not one problem, hell I am on the stock clutch still and it had about 20-30 races on it.

Also, ran my 300ex with rotella. There is NOTHING wrong with Rotella, so many engine builders reccomend it and you know something. It used to be a Diesel only oil. Now its for everything.

pro-rider46
08-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
^^^ been running rotella for the past 2.5 years. Not one problem, hell I am on the stock clutch still and it had about 20-30 races on it.

Also, ran my 300ex with rotella. There is NOTHING wrong with Rotella, so many engine builders reccomend it and you know something. It used to be a Diesel only oil. Now its for everything.

yeah i have never heard anything bad about rotella, i dont run it, but it still sounds like its a great oil, we run it in my brothers diesel.

warr72
08-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Sounds like you have had good luck with Rotella. Did some research and Rotella is not an emissions friendly oil so it would work. What you have to be careful of is emissions friendly oil. Oh and you run wrong oil and she dies forget your warranty. Guy I know just unloaded his checking account because of that little factor. I have seen people run automatic transmission fluid as well. I run Honda GN for my piece of mind and for my bank accounts piece of mind too. There must be a reason why Honda tells you all this in the owners manual. Some people also ride harder and faster as well. :devil:

Sjorge450R
08-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by warr72
Sounds like you have had good luck with Rotella. Did some research and Rotella is not an emissions friendly oil so it would work. What you have to be careful of is emissions friendly oil. Oh and you run wrong oil and she dies forget your warranty. Guy I know just unloaded his checking account because of that little factor. I have seen people run automatic transmission fluid as well. I run Honda GN for my piece of mind and for my bank accounts piece of mind too. There must be a reason why Honda tells you all this in the owners manual. Some people also ride harder and faster as well. :devil:

Honda doesnt cover CHIT!!!! Everyone knows that. You have to be getting with the dealer in order for them to do warrenty work. Emissions friendly oil? Last time I checked rottella didnt have an friction modifiers which is basically the only thing that will make an oil un usable in a wet clutch setup because it will eat the clutch away. There are SO many people that trust Rottella oil and So many of us that use it without problem. When it comes down to it. You can run any oil your 450r without problem. You just have to change it at the correct intervals for what your application is. I myself change it every 3 hours. Clutch and motor side with a new filter all with 15w-40 rottella. I will listen to motor builders over people on forum any day. (minus those smarts ones on here...:o )

warr72
08-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Well sunshine I build motors. :rolleyes:

warr72
08-10-2008, 06:16 PM
Run any oil...... lol..... :eek2: