PDA

View Full Version : Lightened Flywheel

aztecgwynn
07-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Are the lightened flywheels worth the $125.00 to spend.TRX 250R is only ridden at Glamis but don't know if it be worth the money to buy.
What are the pros and cons of having a light flywheel at the dunes also.

87R_Racer
07-21-2008, 08:30 PM
www.flotekperformance.com. Dennis Mears is the owner and he can let you know all about it.

havinnoj
07-22-2008, 08:58 AM
Most builders charge $40-$50 to lighten it. I wouldn't pay that much for it. You should be able to find one in good shape for about $50 less. The quicker revs that you gain from a lightened flywheel are very good in the sand. Unless you are a heavy person, it is a good upgrade.

86 Quad R
07-22-2008, 10:17 AM
unless your straight line racing or hill shooting i wouldnt do it.

All250R
07-22-2008, 12:01 PM
I ride in Glamis almost exlusively and really like the lightened flywheel for that environment. Sand is a very slippery but heavy surface and its harder to gain rpm and vehicle momentum. A faster revving engine gets your wheels spinning faster and into the rpm range that gets things moving. Lightweight paddles help too.

86 Quad R
07-22-2008, 12:14 PM
light weight tires are most essential on an R. :cool:

07-22-2008, 06:03 PM
i read up on why they make flywheels heavier and what they accomplish by lightening then. The heavier the flywheel the harder it is to stall when going slow or anything else. The lighter the flywheel the more snap and torquey feeling it has. I thought about it and unless you are in open areas I dont think its worth it. I ride a lot of trails and sometimes I have to feather the clutch and stuff as it is in real tight technical stuff so for me its a bad thing. Depending on how and where oyur ride it could be a good thing.